• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poll. How do you feel about different types of restoration?

Minor pro color touch  

267 members have voted

1. 1. Minor pro color touch

27 posts in this topic

Below are several polls. Each one pertains to a specific type of work/restoration. Obviously some of the polls had to be generalized to keep the quantity down to a minimum.

Also, assume that all work is done to high standards.

On a scale of 0 to 10 choose how you feel about each type of procedure.

0 (zero) = "I don't care at all"

10 = "the book is destroyed and I would never consider buying it"

Interesting. I found that I care more about things added to the book (ct, pieces) than things removed (cleaned, trimmed).

Obviously various degrees of trimming - microtrim doesn't seem to be much of a problem. The big 1mm plus trim is bad news.

But CT really bothers me.

I dont really mind any of them. But, looking at it from a book I would want to buy (and yes, i would love to have a restored GA GL #1) i looked at it through those glasses.

So, trimming is still a :sick: for me.

Cover cleaned is eh, so-so

Pressing, well, no issue there

Minor/moderate pro color touch is fine.

Pieces added im not really gung ho on

amateur color touch is :flamed:

pressing bothers me not at all

small tear seals and spine split repair not much if reflected in price

minor ct only a little more than tear seals

dry cleaning okay - chemnical seems to change the paper composition - so not so much

trimming and pieces added I don't like - but never say never.

In general I don't mind minor rest as long as i know what I'm getting and the price is fair - bothers me less than non-archival tape - which may not be resto - but looks like - thoughif it's not on the outside FC, I can live with it.

I buy mostly low-mid grade - obviously in higher grade books, minor resto would be more of an issue (mostly due to limited resale potential) and the discount would have to be steeper

I don't like trimming, but rate pressing, and color touch about the same, extensive not so much. I actually don't mind minor amateur color touch much at all, especially if it was in the context of a kid who owned the book playing with it.

Tear seals...well, some of my books would fall apart without tear seals, so they are on my least bad list, and I like those better than tape:)

Nice list:) it helped me focus:).

The most interesting result to me is re: pressing. It shows why there's so many harsh debates on here about it.

I rate it a zero, as do more than half of us so far, but there are some (presuming they're not joking) that consider a book ruined? WTF?