• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2008/09 GRADING CONTEST: Round 4

125 posts in this topic

I sent two copies of ASM Annual #3 into CGC a few years ago. I thought one was 9.4 and the other 9.2. The one that I thought was a 9.2 came back as a 9.6. The one I thought was a 9.4 came back as a 7.5, obviously I missed something both ways. But I think the grading contests help me find some good points about some books that I thought are lower and find some other flaws in my own that I would have never seen without this contest.

I also think they are just plain fun. Maybe not for Nik, but this contest is what got me hooked on this forum and I haven't left since that first contest in 2004.

:sumo: And toro is a good grader. The reality is that we are grading from (oversized) scans here and the bulk of the players, frankly, just don't know how to grade.

In hand, we often overlook defects because WE JUST DON'T TAKE THE TIME TO LOOK AT A BOOK CRITICALLY before sending it in. We also have a tendency to grade our own books both harsher and less harsh at various times. We are not perfect.

Who is this "we" you keep referring to? :insane:

Didn't you know that divad comes from royal stock?

You have to see and hold the book in your hands to get a true sense of the grade.

hm

the back cover scraping threw me. I have no experience with grading that defect. I was 8.5 like most of the others. :(

Honestly, anyone that graded that book above a 7.5, I would be scared to buy raw books from :kidaround:

:devil:

The reality is that we are grading from (oversized) scans here and the bulk of the players, frankly, just don't know how to grade.

I probably fall into the category of not knowing how to grade. I'm just using the contest as an opportunity to try and get a little better. The specter of public humiliation certainly forces me to put more emphasis on researching the defects and grades and that helps me learn. FE, I've got nothing in my collection that looks remotely like the Round 4 candidate so now I've learned something about low-grade GA books that I didn't know two days ago. Maybe by Round 20, I'll have improved to just miserable instead of ignorant.

Under 5 hours to go and still need grades from 31 players.

In all seriousness, if you no longer wish to play, as some of you have not submitted for any rounds yet, let me know and I will remove you from the list.

10PM is deadline but if all grades are in sooner, the sooner we can continue.

I will add from this round and on, if you have miss sending in grades for 5 rounds, I will remove you from the list.

In all seriousness, if you no longer wish to play, as some of you have not submitted for any rounds yet, let me know and I will remove you from the list.

I will add from this round and on, if you have miss sending in grades for 5 rounds, I will remove you from the list.

Nik. If they miss 3 and dont PM you, you should just remove them.

But make it interesting have the charts say "quitter" or the great greggy line of "wuss" .

And start ending at 9 PM. This 10PM carp is too late. :sumo:

Only reson 10 works for me is timing. By the time I get home, shower, eat, krap hang with my kids, its after 9 already. Then I have to respond to the PMs, add them to the results sheet, etc. etc, :blahblah:,

you get my meaning.

The specter of public humiliation certainly forces me to put more emphasis on researching the defects and grades and that helps me learn.

Wait until we get into the water damage and tanning :whistle:

The specter of public humiliation certainly forces me to put more emphasis on researching the defects and grades and that helps me learn.

Wait until we get into the water damage and tanning :whistle:

Breaking out the private stock ? lol

I will joke and complain(always in as a joke) as much as most others but in all truth its a cool little contest I think its fun.

I really enjoy the grading contests. It serves me well, when I take too much time away from grading books.

Nik. If they miss 3 and dont PM you, you should just remove them.

But make it interesting have the charts say "quitter" or the great greggy line of "wuss" .

And start ending at 9 PM. This 10PM carp is too late. :sumo:

:cry:

I actually sent my grade/guess in yesterday. :acclaim:

Two out of four rounds isn't too shabby. :blush::shy: