• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New information about CGC grading, I called them today...

12 posts in this topic

This information may help many of you I called CGC and talked with them about 2 of my books. First off all they said most people who send books in no matter who they are are about 30% right. They also really promoted pre-screening through them, they said groups of books can be sent in together from different people to meet the mininum number of books for pre-screen. So, maybe you and a buddy can group your comics for pre-screening and send them in together. Now, this is my Opinion only from the conversations I had. CGC seem to really be harsh on careless flaws on books such as scratches or dents that could have been avoided with better care. It seems to really bother them to see a scratch or a bend. But, from their notes they graded toughter on dents and scratches than on corners, which they seem not to make a big deal about. They told me a book could not receive a 9.6 if it had scratches. So, IMO it seems that CGC is more concerned about accidents that could have been avoided than they are about natural wear and tear. I called about 2 books with 9.4 grades and each one had 1 note each. One book had scratches and 1 had a tiny piece of white on the spine. Now, if you plan on sending books in, I feel you should know I told them I was going to re-send my 2 books without the label and challenged them to get the same grades. They told me they had 11 graders now and I asked if they would give me a shot at training to be a grader? They said "sure" if they were hiring.

I hope this helps.

Maybe even down to the fact you 'challenged' them to reach the same grade, they'll be extra vigilant looking for a book with scratches and one with white on the spine!

It may be advisable for everyone to NOT send any Watchmen books in to CGC in the near future!

Good luck though.

This information may help many of you I called CGC and talked with them about 2 of my books. First off all they said most people who send books in no matter who they are are about 30% right. They also really promoted pre-screening through them, they said groups of books can be sent in together from different people to meet the mininum number of books for pre-screen. So, maybe you and a buddy can group your comics for pre-screening and send them in together. Now, this is my Opinion only from the conversations I had. CGC seem to really be harsh on careless flaws on books such as scratches or dents that could have been avoided with better care. It seems to really bother them to see a scratch or a bend. But, from their notes they graded toughter on dents and scratches than on corners, which they seem not to make a big deal about. They told me a book could not receive a 9.6 if it had scratches. So, IMO it seems that CGC is more concerned about accidents that could have been avoided than they are about natural wear and tear. I called about 2 books with 9.4 grades and each one had 1 note each. One book had scratches and 1 had a tiny piece of white on the spine. Now, if you plan on sending books in, I feel you should know I told them I was going to re-send my 2 books without the label and challenged them to get the same grades. They told me they had 11 graders now and I asked if they would give me a shot at training to be a grader? They said "sure" if they were hiring.

I hope this helps.

So ... the two 9.4's that you kept on claiming were 9.8's are, in fact, 9.4's because of scratches and a ding on the spine? Wow ... what a big surprise there doh!

Who's your "expert" grader?

What's that smell???

Oh, it's just a shill in the morning :cloud9:

:gossip: Actually, he really did call CGC. I don't know who he is, but I heard about the "conversation".

The story unfolds.

So, did all the CGC graders enroll in his "How To Grade" course, yet? :baiting:

What's that smell???

Oh, it's just a shill in the morning :cloud9:

:gossip: Actually, he really did call CGC. I don't know who he is, but I heard about the "conversation".

Oh dear God.

Must be like when all the tech support guys get together and swap "war stories" about their customers...