• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Todd McFarlane signing Dec.6 any witnesses?

33 posts in this topic

Brings to mind a question.

Exactly what does a "witness" get for being a witness?

A nice pat on the butt and an "atta boy!" from all of the people they get sigs for :banana:

I Keep Hearing whispers with the words "Newtsampson" and "Hole in the Barrel"

I'll tell you what most witnesses get.. Alot of sleepless nights prepping books. Headaches having to carry the books on planes along with all of there own luggage. Attitude from creators. And hopes that their travel to a con is actually covered by the witnessing fees. Sharon keeps saying to me "so we will see profits when???" lol

Now on a different note. I have been given confirmation directly from Todd McFarlanes office that he will NOT be appearing at the NHL All-Star Experience in January (his company will be there selling toys) and Todd is NOT scheduled to be at the New York Comic-Con. That is via an e-mail from his office today. Hope this helps shed some light on his availability.

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

I'll tell you what most witnesses get.. Alot of sleepless nights prepping books. Headaches having to carry the books on planes along with all of there own luggage. Attitude from creators. And hopes that their travel to a con is actually covered by the witnessing fees. Sharon keeps saying to me "so we will see profits when???" lol

Now on a different note. I have been given confirmation directly from Todd McFarlanes office that he will NOT be appearing at the NHL All-Star Experience in January (his company will be there selling toys) and Todd is NOT scheduled to be at the New York Comic-Con. That is via an e-mail from his office today. Hope this helps shed some light on his availability.

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

:cry::cry:

Oh, I have to echo Chandler's concerns, plus I have sleepless nights worrying about books getting damaged, lost, or stolen, plus creators changing their minds, schedules changing, and a list of fees and costs that eat away at everything... And yet, we still do it... But I digress... :)

Getting that rare book or holy grail done for someone and meeting stellar folks like Ray Bradbury, Neil Gaiman, Jeff Smith, etc. are very cool... No crown, though; too many dirty looks from creators as it is without causing puzzled looks, plus nothing with a sharp end can be near the comics!!! :)

Joel

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

Thanks for checking it out for us Chandler

Okay, I absolutely do not want to get any witness's mad at me (cause I need them and want their help), but I have to think that either they are saints or there are enough benefits monetarily, for them to put up with us and them (collectors and signers).

Having said that. It is amazing how much witness's do, considering how I know stars and superstars can be fickle and contrary. I do appreciate what CGC SS witness's do, and how much responsibility they have in protecting items owned by others and can be very easily damaged, lost or stolen. These things apparently do not happen often or ever, to my knowledge.

Thanks to all witness's for sure. But c'mon guys. You can tell me. I won't repeat anything you post here, to anyone. Honest. Just whisper. What are the bennies? Is it all about meeting the big stars and getting access where others can not?

To be honest. That would be more than enough for me. I wouldn't want any fees (but would gladly take them of course) :) Unfortunately I can not travel around enough to do it. I have a farm and things and animals have to be taken care of every day.

Hey Freak,

I will say this. Just the look on Kris the Collectors face when I got Hugh Jackman's signature on my Hulk 340 in San Diego made the whole show worth it to me. And I can't WAIT until New York when the PAYOFF comes and Kris has to pay the Piper. lol There you have it. One of the reasons I do this insane task. The looks on people's faces when you do what is thought to be the impossible.

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

Plus, many witnesses are still comic nerds and then "cool factor" of getting to meet a number of these creators (especially the big ones) has to be a real bonus for them. My understanding from conversations I've had is that there really isn't a ton of money to be had from doing this--mostly for the fun factor.

Okay, I absolutely do not want to get any witness's mad at me (cause I need them and want their help), but I have to think that either they are saints or there are enough benefits monetarily, for them to put up with us and them (collectors and signers).

Having said that. It is amazing how much witness's do, considering how I know stars and superstars can be fickle and contrary. I do appreciate what CGC SS witness's do, and how much responsibility they have in protecting items owned by others and can be very easily damaged, lost or stolen. These things apparently do not happen often or ever, to my knowledge.

Thanks to all witness's for sure. But c'mon guys. You can tell me. I won't repeat anything you post here, to anyone. Honest. Just whisper. What are the bennies? Is it all about meeting the big stars and getting access where others can not?

To be honest. That would be more than enough for me. I wouldn't want any fees (but would gladly take them of course) :) Unfortunately I can not travel around enough to do it. I have a farm and things and animals have to be taken care of every day.

Honestly Freak there are different type of SS witnesses. There are guys like desertwind who primarily takes care of his customers, where as there are witnesses like me and my partner who work primarily for our collection and sell what does not meet our ridiculously strict "keep" standards.

So some witnesses see a benefit of lowering their con costs by doing books for others while some prefer to do all for themselves then sell.

Either way......and I am curious.....but just like you have to work on your farm every day I am pretty sure every single witness ALSO has a day job. Me I am a TV lighting designer in my spare time! I know chandler and sharon both have pretty demanding jobs as well.......sometimes I can't imagine how he handles so many clients......(sharon) lol

I do appreciate what CGC SS witness's do, and how much responsibility they have in protecting items owned by others and can be very easily damaged, lost or stolen.

That issue right there is what all of the witnesses I have ever worked with deserve the most kudos for. Because everyone "expects" their comics to receive the same grade, so if it does, no big deal. But god forbid the book go down in grade, then Katie, bar the door. All the witnesses work so hard to protect grades, it is unbelievable. I know because when I was handling my own books @ Mid-Ohio, I dropped them. And two of them got crunched so bad, I couldn't sub them. No witness would ever have been that dumb. lol

I am fortunate enough to have made good acquaintences with many witnesses and a couple of them are good friends. The bottom line is that these guys (and gals :hi: Sharon) are in it because they love comics and they have embraced how cool it is to convert a regular old comic into a one of a kind piece of art history by adding signatures and sketches from the creators. Kudos to all the hard-working witnesses. I give you all a lot of grief, but without you, there is no SS!