• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Cover or Interior Signatures Preferred??

31 posts in this topic

Hi All... I recently purchased a copy of Avengers 1 - 4, and would like to have all four issues signed by Stan Lee. I've never had a book submitted to CGC for SS, and am curious what people's opinion's are about placement of a signature.

Would most collectors of SS books prefer a signature like Stan's on these classic comics on the cover, or perhaps on the first page where there is no chance of the signer writing over the top of an iconic cover? My fear is that I may not be happy with the placement of the signature if it's on the cover... for example, if it's written over what I feel is an important element of the cover design.

Is there even any way to request where the signature will be placed with someone like Stan Lee? (shrug)

Well, speaking as a new collector of SS books, I would have to say that a signature on the cover is the way to go. This would be because CGC SS books are sealed and thus, no one would actually be able to see the signature on a SS book if it is the interior. They would just have to marvel (pun intended) that the label says there is a signature inside. Not very glamorous.

Having said that, many on here would say that really nice conditioned books that are not so common (yours would fit into that diffinition for sure, depending on their grades) maybe should not be signed anywhere.

It is a personal choice and there would be a market for them either way. From the SS collectors or from the "purist" (ie: no signatures) collectors.

In the olden days, any writing on the book was taboo. Now it is more acceptable. Heck, some even get an actor who played the part in a movie, of a comic book villian or hero, to sign their books if the villian or hero is contained in the book. I collect SS books now, but I do not think that I would ever pay for a SS Hulk book signed by Lou Ferigno, even though he starred as the Hulk in the TV series. I did get a poster of the Hulk signed by him though.

To each his own. It is personal preference and there will be a market down the road for whichever way you go.

Just remember this. A signature can always be obtained (at least until the potential signer passes away), but a signature can not be erased if you change your mind.

Tough choice. Decisions, decisions.

P.S. Most of the time, Stan Lee signs wherever he wants. You can try and guide him to a particular spot by presenting the book in a holder or bag, with the spot you want signed having the only opening in the bag, but he pretty much does what he wants and he is legendary for signing on the crotch of the hero on the cover, or signing on a dark area where the signature does not show well.

Most other signers are glad to accomodate your (actually the CGC SS Witness's) wishes, although some have their "quirks". There was a recent thread that stated one signer likes to sign on the "X-Men" logo whenever he can.

Whe you find a SS witness to handle your book, discuss with him or her what you are looking for and they will advise you as to what they will try to accomplish and what may be the actual outcome. They have the experience to provide you with the straight scoop. There are several CGC SS Witness's on this site who can assist you and advise you.

Hey, thanks for all the good advice. The comics are the ones form the early sixties, which is why I'm on the fence about having them signed.

The grades of the books are:

Avengers 1: 4.5

Avengers 2: 6.5-

Avengers 3: 8.0+

Avengers 4: app. 8.0

IMO, these are classic comics, and I just don't want to see a signature across Cap's face on Avengers 4! :P

But Stan is an icon in the comic world, and he is getting up there in age (God bless him). So, there's no telling how many more opportunities there might be in the future to get a Stan Lee autograph that's witnessed by a CGC rep.

Avengers 1: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=135535&Number=2574971#Post2574971

Avengers 2: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=135534&Number=2574968#Post2574968

Avengers 3: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=135533&Number=2574966#Post2574966

Avengers 4: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=135532&Number=2574962#Post2574962

Thanks again for the feedback y'all. So far, it sounds like the cover signature is the way to go.

I do like ConditionFreak's advice on presenting the book in a holder or bag, with the spot I want signed having the only opening in the bag.

Has anyone else ever tried that?

No, you take a comic bag (I like Mylites because they kind of stick to the book) and cut the window out. Then you tape the edges so the pro can see the outline of the bag. Then you have the window for the sig and you can keep it in the bag with the board behind it so it doesn't get harmed by the creator. The witnesses will do this for you for a Stan signing.

I would recommend to leave it to a witness who has experience in prepping the books for signatures. Cowright, if you want information on Stan Lee signatures, e-mail us at desertwindcomics@hotmail.com. We have pretty much been the one and only witness to get Stan signings this year. Unless you want to take your chances in a rare public signing. It is up to you. Our next Stan Lee signing will be next year in February. Details will be released at a later date.

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

I would recommend to leave it to a witness who has experience in prepping the books for signatures. Cowright, if you want information on Stan Lee signatures, e-mail us at desertwindcomics@hotmail.com. We have pretty much been the one and only witness to get Stan signings this year. Unless you want to take your chances in a rare public signing. It is up to you. Our next Stan Lee signing will be next year in February. Details will be released at a later date.

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

Not to be an Ahole and Pee all over your post but Paradise Comics Has a Stan Signing pretty much every year

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

Not to be an Ahole and Pee all over your post but Paradise Comics Has a Stan Signing pretty much every year

Yeah, I got mine from there too. But Chandler can get him a bit more often.

BTW, to chime in on your original question - I have a few books signed by Stan on the cover and I don't have a problem with it. However, I have a Spidey 1 that was signed by Jack Kirby on the first page that I would consider having Stan sign on the first page as well. You can't see the sig, which is a minus, but the cover doesn't get defaced either. I'd probably lean towards getting these books signed on the first page, too.

No, you take a comic bag (I like Mylites because they kind of stick to the book) and cut the window out. Then you tape the edges so the pro can see the outline of the bag. Then you have the window for the sig and you can keep it in the bag with the board behind it so it doesn't get harmed by the creator. The witnesses will do this for you for a Stan signing.

Copycat...

I would go with getting #2-4 signed on the cover. I would send #1 to me for this advice. :baiting:

I had Todd McFarlane sign my Spider-Man #1 Platnum on the back cover because you can never seem to find the signature on that busy front cover. But keep in mind that the back cover wasn't an ad but more of a pin-up.

Copycat...

Be careful, or you will entice Kris moore to posit his theory that he invented the window bag . . . :whistle:

Well, since no one else touched on the BIG reason to only have Stan sign on the cover.....

HE'S LEFT HANDED....when he opens the book to sign on the splash page he tends to lay his entire arm on the open cover inflicting damage as he signs. Seen it done more than once