• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many Marvel Tiers are there??

How many tiers does it take to stuff 5000+ into a coherent pecking order?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. How many tiers does it take to stuff 5000+ into a coherent pecking order?

24 posts in this topic

Anyways, so a character can jump tiers in your system can they not? Lets say Beta Bill Ray or whatever his name is gets his own series.. this would bump him up to what tier 3? Does he fall back down to tier 4 after the series cancels, if he doesn't how long does he remain at tier 3 before he gets dropped due to "inactivity" ?

Brian

The way I see it, which is all this is, once a character establishes himself he maintains his status. In your example, if Beta Ray Bill does get his own series, then yes he would move up a tier. Even if the series got cancelled. I would put Thunderstrike in that category, even though his series also got cancelled. I don't see the categories as popularity contests, more on exposure to the medium. The more appearances the character has, the status they would achieve. This also parallels sales to some degree.

Probably not as thought out as it should, but I tried. Regardless I will try to stick with those thoughts.

Tier 1: Spider Man is Marvels #1 character. Wolverine might not have had as many titles as Punisher, but he has been used to sell other titles like mad. I doubt there is any other character that has made as many “guest appearances’ since his popularity boomed.

As far as “how thy are written”, I mean just that. The Hulk is the best example due to all the changes he has gone through. In the Marvel universe your power grows with your popularity (just my opinion). If you are hot then the writers pump you up.

Tier 2: I wasn't thinking of the Punisher as far as sells, but how his character is generally portrayed. I know he has been a hot commodity at times, but I can not rank him with Spidey and Wolverine.

Tier 3-4: A very thin line, but again I see a difference. Most of the Avengers and X-Men are powerful individually so I rank them as tier 3. Hawkeye would be there as well. X-Factor can be confusing, but I list Gen X and the other X-Spinoffs as tier 4.

Tier 5: Thanks...Great Lake Avengers (last I recall they were calling themselves the Lightning Rods).

Tier 6: Not sure what you mean, but there are many non-powered individuals in the Marvel Universe that see action (yet not main characters). Nick Furry would not be here, but Rick Jones (thanks again) would.

I should add that I have been away from the Marvel world completely for about 4 years now so I am not up to date. My post would probably seem more thought out if this wasnt the case. There are also many characters I listed that are in lower tiers that I wish were higher. It is just that I have never seen them portrayed that way.