• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is the CGC SS market getting flooded already?

17 posts in this topic

Is the signature series market getting too flooded with signatures (from a selling standpoint)? It seems like there are a ton of good quality signatures around and that the prices are dropping because there is more supply then demand. Anyone else see this pattern or am I crazy?

It is great for buyers but not so good for those who originally obtain the signtaures. I understand that some of the more rare signtaures continue to sell well but it seems like there is a ton of certain signatures available like Stan Lee, Todd Macfarlane etc...

Thoughts?

well the guys signing are making some good coin so as long as there is a demand....they will continue putting pen to cover. the secondary market might not be as lucrative as people are trying to watch spending and only go after certain sigs or grades or titles.

As a long time sport card collector I see a similar pattern. First when companies started producing athlete signatures the prices were high. There was big demand and there was only a small supply available (plus it was something new). Due to a flooding of that market most sport card autographs can be had for pennies on the dollar compared to when they first came out.

When the CGC SS books first started it seemed like they were selling fast and at great prices, especially popular people. Now it seems like there is a ton of autographs available and there is more supply then demand. Its really not that hard to get a Stan Lee signtaure any more. Yes it is still super cool but there is more available thu cheaper prices.

The one big bonus with the CGC SS market is that the person obtaining the signature gets to pick the book. Buyers can have their own favorite books signed where as the cards are produced from the company and the buyer has no choice in the product being offered.

Is the signature series market getting too flooded with signatures (from a selling standpoint)? It seems like there are a ton of good quality signatures around and that the prices are dropping because there is more supply then demand. Anyone else see this pattern or am I crazy?

It is great for buyers but not so good for those who originally obtain the signtaures. I understand that some of the more rare signtaures continue to sell well but it seems like there is a ton of certain signatures available like Stan Lee, Todd Macfarlane etc...

Thoughts?

I could not agree with you more. :(

Personally, I think it has more to do with the time of year and it's the same usual trend we see annually pre-Christmas. People have to spend on gifts for their family and friends instead of comics and OA for themselves, so demand drops.

But yes, common sense dictates that the more frequent the signings and the more books available the less demand there is for certain creators. With exceptions, of course.

Depends on the book and the signer. I would personally think that the Stan Lee market is saturated, but they keep selling. People still seem to seek out Michael Turner, which is slightly different than Stan Lee, but they don't seem to bring as much as they once did. Joe Kubert still seems to be sought after, but looking at eBay, Joe Simon doesn't bring what he once did.

Overall, I don't know if the market is flooded or the economy and the time of year are hurting them. I've scaled back my buying which will probably put Jon Jespersen into foreclosure.

lol

Depends on the book and the signer. I would personally think that the Stan Lee market is saturated, but they keep selling. People still seem to seek out Michael Turner, which is slightly different than Stan Lee, but they don't seem to bring as much as they once did. Joe Kubert still seems to be sought after, but looking at eBay, Joe Simon doesn't bring what he once did.

Overall, I don't know if the market is flooded or the economy and the time of year are hurting them. I've scaled back my buying which will probably put Jon Jespersen into foreclosure.

lol

:angel:

lol

Damn it feels good to be a Jesper

A real Jesper- numpty plays his cards right

A real Jesper- numpty never runs his *spoon* mouth

Cuz real Jesper- numpties don't start fights

And numpties always gotta high cap

Showin' all his boys how he shot em

But real Jesper- numpties don't flex nuts

Cuz real Jesper- numpties know they got em

And everythings cool in the mind of a Jesper

Cuz Jesper- numpties think deep

Up three-sixty-five a year 24/7

Cuz real Jesper- numpties don't sleep

Sorry Geto Boys. :sorry:

lol

Up three-sixty-five a year 24/7

Cuz real Jesper- numpties don't sleep

Sorry Geto Boys. :sorry:

Office Space!!! :headbang:

Here's an odd one.....Hellboy/Goon CGC SS

Neither of the signers are particularly tough to get, so where did someone get the idea that this is a $187 comic?

(shrug)

:o Holy KRAP! Paging Lebowski!!!! :busy:

Yeah, I was watching that auction with interest. And wow, what a great sale for Rich! I didn't think the ceiling was that high for that book, but I was happily proven wrong. :headbang:

Trust me, though, no one's gettin' their mitts on my #7 double SS with the Goon sketch!

Personally, I think it has more to do with the time of year and it's the same usual trend we see annually pre-Christmas. People have to spend on gifts for their family and friends instead of comics and OA for themselves, so demand drops.

But yes, common sense dictates that the more frequent the signings and the more books available the less demand there is for certain creators. With exceptions, of course.

not to mention sales are down on everything due to the economy

lol