• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

10 Mil Mylar

33 posts in this topic

Not sure how many saw this announcement today.

10 Mil Thick Mylar

I'm interested in the claim that you may not need a backing board in these. But, at 10 mil, they may be a little tight.

Anyone see one in person yet? Would you buy it?

They made 7 mil mylar back in the early 1990s. They were pretty rigid so I'm sure the 10 mil probably won't need a backing board.

I won't pay for it because it's overkill.

I have a sample. It was givin to me by them at the Boston show a couple of weeks ago. I dont think you need a backboard for it. My only concern is how tight the comic would be in it. They did not give me a full 10 mil plastic as it is just a sample. It is 10mil, but only about 1/10 the size of a comic size one with an insert in it.

My other concern is how good they would really sell. If you want it in a 10mil mylar, wouldnt you just get it graded by CGC?? Just my thoughts.

Jeff

What a waste of my time and their money. I got the "sample" today. It is useless for deciding if I will order these. 10 mil is certainly thick (I could have held two 4-mil mylars together to figure that out) but seems too flimsy to go without a backing board, but I am judging that based on a mylar fit to protect a bookmark, not a comic.

Had Bill Cole been willing to send a actual comic-size mylar, I might figure out if it would be worth the extra expense.

Here is the sample:

10-mil-mylars.jpg

Maybe if five or six of us get together and tape our smaples together, we'll have a full bag for use (shrug)

Yeah, that is the cheapest sample I have ever seen. Terrible and I frankly would be embarrassed about sending it out to potential customers.

Only advantage I could envision is being able to see the back cover without having to remove the book. Not that useful, when you consider you've still gotta remove the book for possible purchase to look over the interior. Also lacking the charcoal-filled fullback that can absorb acidic off-gases, I'd be concerned it's not as "archivally safe" as the standard board and bag.

I got my sample today as well. the size of the sample is joke. Unless I was a vintage bookmark collector as PokerKid suggests.

However, I do get a rough feel for the rigidity. What it seems like is that it will NOT hold up without a backing board. And, if it were a full size mylar, it would be even less sturdy.

(For absorbing off-gases, just insert microchamber paper.)

Having dealt with my share (and many other's share) of mylar in my day, I can say that I would not be comfortable putting comics in a 10 mil bag without a backing board. I don't think it's rigid enough. 2c

Does anyone buy toploaders or what was previously called turtle shells? I have a permanent order for them at my LCS. Every once in a while he locates a few.

I think I still have a couple of those. I wouldn't mind having a few more.

But even when I used those, I put the book in a mylite, then into the toploader.