• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Back From MidOhioCon...

8 posts in this topic

... and since my other post has been hijacked (something about rental houses?! confused-smiley-013.gif ), I thought I would give a brief synopsis here.

Not a bad Con, but the venue needs a change. It is held in a Hilton and it was really overcrowded. The Fall version of MotorCityCon is about the same size and they hold it in an expo center so that there is much more room in the aisles. Don't know much about Columbus, so maybe there isn't much else around to hold an event like this.

Great guests: saw and got autographs from Bendis and Alan Davis.

Overall, if you were looking for high grade, you were disappointed. Tons of low to mid-grade stuff (so Chuck had to be happy). Quite a bit of Golden Age. Great deals on graphic novels and moderns stuff.

Speaking of Chuck, I was unable to get his autograph, but enjoyed his story to a fellow dealer about how his servers crashed on Thanksgiving Day, and took about 20 hours to get them back up. He figures he lost $12 - 15K in that time 893whatthe.gif

What I really liked about this show was that the comic dealers outnumbered the anime, toy, DVD and t-shirt dealers by about 3 to 1. I wish all shows were like that! thumbsup2.gif

- D.

"What I really liked about this show was that the comic dealers outnumbered the anime, toy, DVD and t-shirt dealers by about 3 to 1. I wish all shows were like that! "

A rare sight indeed!

Timely

Yep, the toys and stuff have their place, but to forget what the show is all about (comics) is sad and probably reflects where the hobby is going.

By the way, the convention booklet was very nice this year. It is comic book sized, and Alan Davis did a great cover of the Liberators and She-Hulk.

- D.

I just got back home to Toronto after attending Mid-Ohio for the first time. Basically, I went because Alan Davis was there. He's not a very talkative person, even during the panels. Mike W. Barr did most of the talking. Alan Davis did mention an interesting story about the cover of the program. Because he had recently signed an exclusive contract with Marvel, he was worried that people would read too much into the cover of the program, drawing a conclusion that the cover might have something to do with his next project for Marvel which he was very tight-lipped about. So much so, that even Robin Riggs commented that Alan wouldn't even tell him. Anyway, he designed this particluar cover which has absolutely nothing to do with his next work. By the way, does anyone know why Alan Davis chose to make his North American appearance at Mid-Ohio? But now that he's signed with Marvel, I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up to some of the Wizards.

On a different note, I found the dealer area extremely cramped which really diminishes the desire to dig for stuff.

326038-Program.jpg.d7d1dbe135440a8ddb9d8bbc87461c4c.jpg

I just got back home to Toronto after attending Mid-Ohio for the first time. Basically, I went because Alan Davis was there. He's not a very talkative person, even during the panels. Mike W. Barr did most of the talking. Alan Davis did mention an interesting story about the cover of the program. Because he had recently signed an exclusive contract with Marvel, he was worried that people would read too much into the cover of the program, drawing a conclusion that the cover might have something to do with his next project for Marvel which he was very tight-lipped about. So much so, that even Robin Riggs commented that Alan wouldn't even tell him. Anyway, he designed this particluar cover which has absolutely nothing to do with his next work. By the way, does anyone know why Alan Davis chose to make his North American appearance at Mid-Ohio? But now that he's signed with Marvel, I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up to some of the Wizards.

On a different note, I found the dealer area extremely cramped which really diminishes the desire to dig for stuff.

Tim,

Why didn't you tell me you were going??? 893frustrated.gif

Yup. He had so many requests that they started a list which was cut off by the end of Saturday. I watched as he did a gorgeous one of Wonder Woman (a la The Nail) and then Robin Riggs inked it afterwards.