• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am a huge Simpsons fan, but really...#4????? Aye Carumba!!

32 posts in this topic

well then they ranked him #3 actually cause hoffman @ #1 has passed. I believe he discovered LSD

10-4, he did....well didn't discovered it, more like developed it. US Army wanted something to deploy against enemy troops, but it was considered 'chemical warfare' and therefore negated useless under the Geneva (comic) Convention!

LSD was used as a 'truth serum' in combination with electro-shock therapy. Hoffman discovered it effects on a bike ride home one day....

LSD was first developed as a chemical weapon for mass deployment against numerous enemy combatants. Then when they decided that it would fall the wrong side of the Geneva, they trial it as a truth serum. It dosen't work. As an Hallucinogenic the intelligence received is not 20% reliable, never mind 100%. If you intel's wrong, soldiers die. Not worth the risk and there's much better stuff out there at the moment. (I believe the US has an interogation system with water and buckets which is proving quite effective!)

US and British Armies are responsible for most modern technology....cell phones....internet.....GPS.....etc....etc. Eg: The US Amry wanted a means to comunicate worldwide with a system that would still be operational even if enemy forces took out key communication towers....hence the internet. Gods knows what they've got that will only be released when they better it.

y'know what beyonder....i might be wrong....its years since i read about it. i think it was develope by Germans in the 2nd world war for its military applications, not the americans.

well then they ranked him #3 actually cause hoffman @ #1 has passed. I believe he discovered LSD

10-4, he did....well didn't discovered it, more like developed it. US Army wanted something to deploy against enemy troops, but it was considered 'chemical warfare' and therefore negated useless under the Geneva (comic) Convention!

LSD was used as a 'truth serum' in combination with electro-shock therapy. Hoffman discovered it effects on a bike ride home one day....

LSD was first developed as a chemical weapon for mass deployment against numerous enemy combatants. Then when they decided that it would fall the wrong side of the Geneva, they trial it as a truth serum. It dosen't work. As an Hallucinogenic the intelligence received is not 20% reliable, never mind 100%. If you intel's wrong, soldiers die. Not worth the risk and there's much better stuff out there at the moment. (I believe the US has an interogation system with water and buckets which is proving quite effective!)

US and British Armies are responsible for most modern technology....cell phones....internet.....GPS.....etc....etc. Eg: The US Amry wanted a means to comunicate worldwide with a system that would still be operational even if enemy forces took out key communication towers....hence the internet. Gods knows what they've got that will only be released when they better it.

y'know what beyonder....i might be wrong....its years since i read about it. i think it was develope by Germans in the 2nd world war for its military applications, not the americans.

It's been many moons since I read 'Acid Dreams'. I'll have to dig the book out & check the details.

It's been many moons since I read 'Acid Dreams'. I'll have to dig the book out & check the details.

i was on the drug squad back in 95 an we had videos of cia testing on people from the 50's.....that stuff s your 5hit up!

CIA had doctors test LSD on mental patients and convicts for as many as 72 days straight. Needless to say, most went insane. Talk about a long strange trip!

....and all those mental patients became comic collectors and spend their days posting here!! :insane::insane::insane:

Bobby Fischer came back from the dead?

Pretty sure he never passed away......just faded out of the limelight.

Bobby Fisher gave some people an early lead in this year's death pool. He died Jan. 17.

You can stop searching for him

Based on the criteria they used for the list, I could have seen Matt G. at #1.

Cell phones are an Israeli invention. Internet was a civilian invention co-opted by the military.

Cell phone technology was first truly introduced by Bell labs and the first cell phone was invented by American Martin Cooper of Motorola. It is not an Israeli invention. However, one of Motorola's main facilities that the technology was developed in was in Israel. Why do I know this, Cooper was inspired by watching Star Trek and Captain Kirk's communicator. Ahh, Star Trek trivia.

The more I look at this list the more I think it is total garbage. Here is a Blog post about this -

Living Genius

I am in possession of the results of a list of the "Top 100 living geniuses" as compiled by a panel of six "experts" (my quotes) in "creativity and innovation" from Creators Synectics - a self-styled global consultancy. Now, it turns out the source of the names was in fact 4,000 Britons who were solicited to nominate up to ten geniuses. Each nominee was then ranked according to some nebulous criteria like "paradigm shifting" and "cultural importance." Okay, you are saying, the slightly snide attitude here is entirely because I am not on it. Perhaps in part that is true, but aren't all such things manifestly ridiculous?

Interesting to note though that two chemists are in the top six and one of them, Albert Hoffman, is number 1 overall. For those who don't know who Albert Hoffman is, and I admit I had to look it up for he is not the same man as the legitimate genius Roald Hoffman that bestrides organic chemistry like a colossus, he is the chap who discovered the singular properties of LSD. Further reading revealed that he adopted the old-fashioned approach to chemical research by experimenting on himself with the material. Aside from that he has contributed nothing. Does this mean the 4,000 Britons or the Creators Synectics are all latter-day acid heads? Down in fifth equal is Frederick Sanger, one of only a handful of dual Nobel prize winners (and the only one with two in chemistry) so that is perhaps well deserved. Surprisingly, Steven Hawking comes in a comparatively dismal eighth, for he always seems to be synonymous with genius. My rectum clenched slightly at the sight of Richard Dawkins in 20th equal; evidence indeed that being clever with the pen and adopting edgy and controversial attitudes is far more likely to get you noticed than genuine scholarship. And he is a New College man! I am slightly envious of Sebastian Thrun's (32nd equal) given occupation as "probabilistic roboticist:" hard enough to say, let alone do. Wait, did I read this correctly? Osama Bin Laden in 43rd equal! Occupation given as "Islamicist." Enough said.