• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Staple Protrusion FC GIANT-SIZE Books - Impact Upon Grade?

9 posts in this topic

Hi gang,

I'm looking at buying a GIANT-SIZE SPIDER-MAN #4 (3rd Punisher). It looks to be 9.2 or 9.4, EXCEPT for one thing - the tip of the top staple is protruding through the FC. This is relatively common with these square bound books, but how does it affect the grade... I want to get it graded, but it's only worth it if it's a 9.2 or higher.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

You might want to ask this question on the "Brother can you spare a grade thread"

Val

I thought of that, but I do not have a pic, and it's a general question about a particular type of "defect", whether it applies to this book or any other square bound.

Thanks though!

I have a few square-bound books with this issue. One just barely has 2 points where the paper itself has had a hole punched through it. That still graded a 9.4.

The other has wear and slight color loss over the staple area's. That graded out at 9.6.

I now have the book in my possession so I'll try and get a scan up asap.

I'm fortunate, the owner of this book trusts me to hold his books as long as I need to grade them before making an offer. I've bought some nice books from him over the years:

HULK #181 (x2), DD #168 (x3), CONAN #1, MARVEL SPOTLIGHT #5, GHOST RIDER #1, IRON FIST #14, X-MEN #94 (x2), and so on!

Cheers!

I just picked up a Fantastic Four 200 which has the same staple poke through. I noticed there are no 9.8's on that book, so I wonder if all copies have that problem. If 30 years of gravity and storage causes the staples to poke through?

Virtually all of them have that problem.