• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Registry book values

25 posts in this topic

Was lusting over some of the books recently added by the infamous CapTripps and began wondering about the prices assigned to the books by CGC. To my knowledge no one has brough this up yet. Does anyone know how CGC arrived at the values? $160,000 for the Spidey 1 9.6 and $51,000 for the Hulk 1 9.2? Do these value assignments have any relevance to real pricing? I wonder if people will staRT BUYING/SELLING based on these values? If so it looks like the price guide in OS may be thrown out the window altogether for cgc price determinations.

They seem to be somewhat close to current market prices, but they're not meant to be used for that. They're supposed to be relative weights, sorta like the Gerber "relative value indexes" assigned in his PhotoJournals, meant to help rank different titles and issues against each other. I highly doubt they'll update the relative values very often, if ever, since that's what holds up the creation of new sets--they have to input those relative weights in manually.

I wonder how they determine them? The ideal solution would be to hook them into a price guide and have them update dynamically.

those two prices quoted by Clobberin seem to be fairly accurate market prices. A Hulk #1 sold on ebay last year for $51000 and change, and with AF 15s in 9.4 up for sale for between 90 and 150K, that would make the lone 9.6 arguably worth at least 160. So it seems to me that the Registry figyre sare market values.

But since they are guesses, I dont agree with the usage of them for comparisons. But what else would work.

Was lusting over some of the books recently added by the infamous CapTripps and began wondering about the prices assigned to the books by CGC. To my knowledge no one has brough this up yet. Does anyone know how CGC arrived at the values? $160,000 for the Spidey 1 9.6 and $51,000 for the Hulk 1 9.2? Do these value assignments have any relevance to real pricing? I wonder if people will staRT BUYING/SELLING based on these values? If so it looks like the price guide in OS may be thrown out the window altogether for cgc price determinations.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif But... CGC isn't about manipulating the market!! CGC is an entirely altruistic enterprise designed merely to edify the collectors of the world and bring clean, clear slabs to all the good girls and boys!

Why, to even imply otherwise would just be stupid. So stupid.

CGC is an entirely altruistic enterprise designed merely to edify the collectors of the world and bring clean, clear slabs to all the good girls and boys!

Why, to even imply otherwise would just be stupid. So stupid.

Yes, but you overlook the very valuable service rendered by sealing the books shut so that no one can ever enjoy them again. And lest you counter that the seal can always be broken, let's not forget the immense benefit derived from the hobby's newly-acquired obsession with numerical ratings, an obsession that makes it more economical to drive your car into a lamppost than risk handling a key book that's graded north of 9.0. And to think that when I was in college I took a class in Chinese art and the professor once took us to the university museum to feel for ourselves some 6,000 year-old clay pots from Banpo. All she asked is that we not drop them. Good thing she wasn't checking for hairline stressmarks on the back cover or I'd still be washing dishes in the cafeteria....

I really don't agree with the weighting system of the CGC registry. The CGC 9.6 Amazing Spider-Man # 1 beats out Ghost Towns's entire #1-25 run. The registry should reward those that worked hard to complete an entire run. The weighting system is overly complicated and rewards only those that are very rich, not the collectors that have worked har to complete entire runs. If you look at the other registries that have been created (PSA, PCGS, SGC), the weights don't have as much an impact as set completion does on the ranks of the sets.

The registry should reward those that worked hard to complete an entire run. The weighting system is overly complicated and rewards only those that are very rich, not the collectors that have worked har to complete entire runs.

COMMUNIST!!!! shocked.gif

I really don't agree with the weighting system of the CGC registry. The CGC 9.6 Amazing Spider-Man # 1 beats out Ghost Towns's entire #1-25 run.

I agree; that's just stupid, kinda like paying a few thousand for a CGC 9.9 Modern. 27_laughing.gif

The main thing I like about the registry is that it establishes a list of what I have and establishes some sort of value. I have been lazy about recording all my collection for insurance purposes or if something happened to me, and my wife needed to do something with the books. With the registry, if the books burned up, I could establish what I owned and have an expert opinion as to value.

I don't think GP has anything to do with the reasons I registered my books - and how would GP prices interact with the value assignments created by CGC itself anyway? I think if someone were to want to sell a book and they wanted x price, pointing to the cgc itself for price authority might be a pretty strong point.

I have been reading this entertaining post for awhile and I would agree with clobbertimes last post. It is a way of "determining" value when it comes to the books as collectibles, especially in a situation with insurance. Only thing I don't like about the registry is it narrows down only runs of titles instead of letting people list what they have in general. Example would be someone that has key books but not runs of titles in high grade

Steve

That is also true, it seems kind of a waste that if you're like an appearance collector.. You have to list the entire title of a book, when in reality you're only looking/buying the 2-3 books that the character you like appeared in. frown.gif

Brian

The "sets" idea comes directly from coin collecting (and the ngc registry)...

When you collect dimes... you collect dimes.

There aren't any "guest appearances" of dimes on quarters or nickels.

Eventually, I'm sure the CGC Registry will become a better tool for use by COMIC collectors.