• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Price Surge

50 posts in this topic

Since there are so many crash posts, I figured why not a report on the reality of the silver cgc market at this particular time. It looks like the crash has been successfully averted until next year (again) as far as the stuff I watch and collect - silver and early bronze. Over the last 3 months prices have been very strong on all the cgc marvel books in the 1961 to 1979 period even on books in the 8.0 range. It won't last forever of course - these surges never do - so now is an excellent time to be a seller and a good idea to be patient if you are a buyer. The only stuff I am going after is the very hard to find stuff - these surges tend to bring out the sellers when they realize that prices are up so you may see stuff you usually might not. On the more common stuff I would hold off. I think this recent surge is connected to the stock market and consumer confidence index and holiday season combined - everything is up right now. This surge seems pretty strong unlike movie hyped surges which are short and usually only focus on one character. So it seems that the cycle has repeated again this year. maybe the crash mongers can read Waiting for Godot while they are ... waiting.

So it seems that the cycle has repeated again this year. maybe the crash mongers can read Waiting for Godot while they are ... waiting

Nah..the Chicken Littles of this board are like Red Sox fans...."Wait til next year" is a motto that continues to endure.

It has nothing to do with a "crash" and everything to do with that big holiday at the end of December. This surge happened for the last five years. Best time to be an eBay BUYER? Week after Christmas.

It is a tough time to buy comics even at mid grade. Great time to sell. cloud9.gif Prices have surged as people look to buy gifts for the holidays, plus this weekend is the biggest buying weekend on ebay(similar to the retail stores) People are home for the holidays sitting on their computers. People have money right now. I can't buy anything I want without paying a premium. I personnal feel this is a great time to be in comics. It is only going to get better . I am saving some money because there are lots of Bronze Age 9.8s that I want.

Hmmm...the crash never seems to affect the books I go after!! mad.gif

Comicsheet's indices of "high grade moderns" did show a noticable crash from May of '02 thru September of '02. This was the time period this board really took off, and gave the crash it's legs on here...indeed, modern junk did crash from earlier highs. However, since September of '02 prices on high grade moderns have stabilized, and thru Daryl's latest update (less than 3 weeks ago), prices are actually slightly up from the same time last year.

Concerning mid-high grade late silver and bronze, there was steady decline in prices from May of '02 thru December of '02, but prices actually peaked in that index in September of this year, with current prices at about the mid-point between the historic highs and lows.

Just from eyeballing the graphs, averaging the indexes does not show a noticable dip/peak around X-mas (moderns a little higher, silver/bronze a little lower).

Kudos to Daryll for giving us the "Big Picture" on the late silver thru modern CGC market!! You can visit his website here for the graphs!

Prices have surged as people look to buy gifts for the holidays

I never understood this point of view. Does anyone get high grade comics for Christmas? I never have, and I don't think I'd want anyone picking me out any as picky as I am. I would think 95% or more of sales are people buying comics for themselves.

The record will clearly show I've gotten some very nice comics from X-mas from the wife!! thumbsup2.gif The record will also show that these books were meticulously picked out by me and a very specific list provided such that there were no mistakes made in their acquisition...

Prices have surged as people look to buy gifts for the holidays

I never understood this point of view. Does anyone get high grade comics for Christmas? I never have, and I don't think I'd want anyone picking me out any as picky as I am. I would think 95% or more of sales are people buying comics for themselves.

Agreed. I would rather get money for comics or show somebody what I want than get something out of the blue. If there are December surges, I don't think it's because of gift giving.

Agreed. I would rather get money for comics or show somebody what I want than get something out of the blue. If there are December surges, I don't think it's because of gift giving.

Generally, I'd agree, but not for high-grade CGC key issues.

I spoke with a few guys selling Hulk 181's/ASM 129's last year, and each sold a pile to gals getting Xmas presents for their guys.

I've also never had any comics bought for me for Christmas. Maybe the idea is that since it's close to Christmas and they're spending money anyways, they can splurge and purchase themselves that comic book they've always wanted. And if there's such a thing as holiday bonuses (is there?), then there's some more money to be played around with.

Brian

Just today I noticed certain prices are at insanely high levels. Some fool just paid $500 for a 9.6 Spidey 136! No more than 3 weeks ago one sold at the high price of $340! Also saw comgeek selling many modern 9.8s and 10s at crazy prices. And these books are being bid on and bought by relative newcomers with feedback below 100 or 50. Could someone please forward them that article about dumb collectibles before they blow all thier money? It is starting to remind of ebay right when cgc started - no way to gauge prices and wild last minute shoot outs. But it should make for a good sell off in about 6 months. The thing is though, once you see this happen on ebay , you wonder can it ever happen again. And then it does over and over. This is the fourth or fifth really big surge I can remember in the last 4 years. Most of the others tied in with movies but this is obviously driven by a combination of other factors. A great time to sell though.

Yikes! 12.5X Overstreet 9.4. Wow.

That was partially my fault, since I bid it up to $275. I really like that cover. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think it would have gone over $300, had the PQ been better.

I'd be the first to acknowledge that I have no real idea where the back issue market is going, in the short or long term. I have some hunches, but wouldn't characterize them as more than that.

I wonder if long-time collectors and dealers have had these 'market crash' conversations dating back decades? Not sure, beyond CBG and the 'market reports' in the OS Guide, where such a 'community-level conversation could have taken place...but there *must* be some collectors and dealers who've been anticipating the crash for decades, only to be disappointed year after year as prices rise...?

I wonder if the Robert Bells of the world ever sat around thinking "geez, if I don't get rid of these high grade ASM #1s at $100 per, my goose is probably cooked, what with the coming crash and all..."

Again, if 'the crash' happened tomorrow, it wouldn't shock me, or trouble me financially, thank goodness. But if it never happens, and VF copies of Daredevil #106 are selling for $500 or $1,000 in 10-20 years, there should be some shocked board members, right?