• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Richie Rich

14 posts in this topic

The seller Quinton Clem probably has the best Harvey collection on the Westcoast. He's been specializing in it for over 10 years & I sold my best Harvey file copy to him raw. He pays overguide & can (obviously) sell for over guide per his most recent eBay results. hi.gif

I guess someone really wanted the "Richie Rich" comics-- maybe as a Christmas present. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Somehow this doesn't seem like a Christmas present buy to me... Regardless, why would anyone bid like this? I'd have waited for the auction to end with the reserve not met, and contacted the seller off eBay to see what they'd take for the book(s)...yes, you run the risk of someone else sniping 'em at the last minute, but still... that's just crazy money for RR books... maybe the buyer knows something we don't, after all each of the books sold is the second-highest graded copy... still, seems like you'd be waiting years to recoup that investment...? But RR has been hot lately, no question.

I've told this story before... at BayCon2 or 4 (1976 or '78), there was a dealer with a pristine (NM/NM+) copy of Richie Rich #1, and he was asking $100 for it (well over guide at that time, I believe). Conventiongoers were literally laughing at the guy as they walked by his booth, 'cause he'd made the Richie Rich the featured item in his booth... he was shouting "it's gonna be worth thousands some day, I tellya," or words to that effect.

Looking back, this is a bit like Rockefeller's shoe-shine boy giving him stock tips just before the crash of '29... hehe j/k

Some of those are RRs are Harvey file copies and are extremely nice and extremely rare...they are the "Mile Highs" of the Harvey world. That early Harvey stuff has a small, yet devoted following. I've never been into Richie Rich, but he is clearly the character with the most fans, many of them deep pocketed.

Richie Rich #1 recently sold for over $9000 through Heritage...these Harvey books have been overvalued for a long time, imo. You can throw out the price guide on these books...it's yet another case of Overstreet being way behind the times.

As soon as I get my next batch of books back from CGC, I'm going to start a thread and post some nice scans of some key high grade Harvey humor books. I only have two or three myself, but I've "collected" images of most of the best copies offered in the past couple of years.

I'm not sure how many people here are into Harveys at all, but I think many will find it interesting. Maybe I'll also include the price of what each book sold for on Heritage/ebay and that will certainly make it more interesting. Oh well, look forward to it in the next couple of months...CGC will get my economy submission back to me eventually. :-)

Richie Rich got me into collecting comics. I bought those from about the age of 7 to 10, and when I was around 12, I switched to Marvel and DC superheroes. Looking back, my collecting pattern makes a lot of sense given the subject matter of those types of comics.

I always looked down on RR books (and most other Harveys) as a kid, because they seemed so 'childish.' This was when I was 10-15, mind you : )

I do remember RR and other Harvel titles being among the most popular with other kids in gradeschool, though, and no doubt some of those kids have grown up to be fine, upstanding BSDs seeking to recapture those innocent times via five-figure Harvey file copies...