• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rocky Mountain now a ped

120 posts in this topic

Posted by Collectors Society at 12/10/2008

CGC is now recognizing the pedigree Rocky Mountain. All comic books certified from this collection are eligible for the notation “Rocky Mountain” indicating that they were part of this original owner collection. Rocky Mountain, so named because it is from Colorado, contains over 5,000 comic books in high-grade runs of Marvel and DC titles from the 1960’s and up.

The collection is being offered by ComicLink, and they have already sold books from the Amazing Spider-Man, and the Silver/Bronze Age Fantastic Four and X-men runs. According to Josh Nathanson, ComicLink President, “There has been overwhelming collector interest in these comic books, and this is the finest collection we’ve brought to market since we opened in 1996.” The Rocky Mountain Avengers run, along with other runs, is slated to be auctioned by ComicLink in their February sale.

The comic books were stored meticulously for decades in a cool, dry basement, and have bold, newsstand-fresh colors and white or off-white to white pages. There are many Rocky Mountain examples that are the highest certified for their issue. Examples include Amazing Spider-Man #31, Fantastic Four #54, and X-men #39, all of which received CGC grades of 9.8.

Mark Haspel, CGC President and Primary Grader comments, “One of the unique things about the Rocky Mountain pedigree is that there are photographs of it in its original state, making it one of the most thoroughly documented pedigrees. It has long runs of Marvel and DC, and because of their high grades and their market acceptance, this collection certainly has special merit.”

Comic books previously sold by ComicLink as the Rocky Mountain pedigree without notation on the CGC label can be sent in for pedigree reholder for an $11 service fee. To qualify, books must remain in their CGC holder as originally certified. Contact CGC for additional information.

To learn more about pedigrees recognized by CGC visit: CGC Pedigrees

The high grade seems to run from late 1965 or early 1966 onward, making it a tough call for pedigree status. One could argue that, despite the lack of early SA keys in high grade, the collection is still highly unusual for the exceptional quality of its mid 60s and onward books. Seems alot like the Boston "pedigree", but apparently with much better authentication. (shrug)

Just looking at the Comiclink Jan '09 previews and I don't see any Rocky Mountain books loaded yet, any guess as to what series/issues we might see? Also, I take it all those RM books in the last auction will be sent back in to CGC for relabelling?

I'm in no big hurry to get the labels relabelled..

There is a distinct lack of SA keys for this ped, with the few exceptions with the FFs were the books numbered in the 50's. They had a few nice examples from earlier issues, but overall the grades were lower

Not sure how they fared in grade in the lower numbered issues in the ASMs and X-Men :shrug:

I think the collection should be designated for a Pedigree name.

Look the collection blows away the over-rated Don Rosa Collection, so I am glad Rocky Mountain got some credit.

Look the collection blows away the over-rated Don Rosa Collection, so I am glad Rocky Mountain got some credit.

Don Rosa is not a pedigree. It is a collection.

I am pretty sure you are wrong :foryou:

The Don Rosa Collection is considered a pedigree

But isn't it considered a Ped because CGC notates it on the label on the right-hand side?