• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rocky Mountain now a ped

120 posts in this topic

Frankly, I take any new ped or collection announced by CGC with a grain of salt after Chuck was able to "negotiate" for including the MH II notations on a submission. A notation in which CGC will not continue should you resubmit...

Jim

Are you saying that a currently labeled MH2 would have it's designation stripped if it where to be resubmitted for whatever reason?

That's my understanding...and they won't place the notation on a slab if you have the certificate either...

A reholder may make it through...I don't know...

Jim

I didn't have the heart to tell Jim the Don Rosa is considered a pedigree collection because I just got on his good side.

:foryou: Doc

Good side? Dream on. :roflmao:

:gossip: Jim is a really cool guy everyone don't let him fool ya.

WATSON bought everyone dinner at the NYCC on Friday Night and let (along with Jim CGCWORLD) me an M-Keys stay at their hotel for free.

He is just a big softy! :shy:

If Jim also springs for the hookers, I'm in next year.

I didn't have the heart to tell Jim the Don Rosa is considered a pedigree collection because I just got on his good side.

WATSON bought everyone dinner at the NYCC on Friday Night and let (along with Jim CGCWORLD) me an M-Keys stay at their hotel for free.

:o

Do you not have a girlfriend?

Posted by Collectors Society at 12/10/2008

CGC is now recognizing the pedigree Rocky Mountain. All comic books certified from this collection are eligible for the notation “Rocky Mountain” indicating that they were part of this original owner collection. Rocky Mountain, so named because it is from Colorado, contains over 5,000 comic books in high-grade runs of Marvel and DC titles from the 1960’s and up.

The collection is being offered by ComicLink, and they have already sold books from the Amazing Spider-Man, and the Silver/Bronze Age Fantastic Four and X-men runs. According to Josh Nathanson, ComicLink President, “There has been overwhelming collector interest in these comic books, and this is the finest collection we’ve brought to market since we opened in 1996.” The Rocky Mountain Avengers run, along with other runs, is slated to be auctioned by ComicLink in their February sale.

The comic books were stored meticulously for decades in a cool, dry basement, and have bold, newsstand-fresh colors and white or off-white to white pages. There are many Rocky Mountain examples that are the highest certified for their issue. Examples include Amazing Spider-Man #31, Fantastic Four #54, and X-men #39, all of which received CGC grades of 9.8.

Mark Haspel, CGC President and Primary Grader comments, “One of the unique things about the Rocky Mountain pedigree is that there are photographs of it in its original state, making it one of the most thoroughly documented pedigrees. It has long runs of Marvel and DC, and because of their high grades and their market acceptance, this collection certainly has special merit.”

Comic books previously sold by ComicLink as the Rocky Mountain pedigree without notation on the CGC label can be sent in for pedigree reholder for an $11 service fee. To qualify, books must remain in their CGC holder as originally certified. Contact CGC for additional information.

To learn more about pedigrees recognized by CGC visit: CGC Pedigrees

This is a joke.

This is by far one of the lamest pedigrees around, and of the pedigrees that have been discovered since the creation of CGC, this is definitely the lamest one that has been recognized by CGC. Can someone remind me which major keys are in this collection?

How this collection of Marvels from that notoriously difficult post-1964 period meh can qualify for a pedigree, when something like the David Toth collection, which contains high grade books from a period that is genuinely difficult to find high grade books, and quite a few major keys in high grade, is really beyond me.

CGC is now recognizing the pedigree Rocky Mountain. All comic books certified from this collection are eligible for the notation “Rocky Mountain” indicating that they were part of this original owner collection. Rocky Mountain, so named because it is from Colorado, contains over 5,000 comic books in high-grade runs of Marvel and DC titles from the 1960’s and up.

The collection is being offered by ComicLink, and they have already sold books from the Amazing Spider-Man, and the Silver/Bronze Age Fantastic Four and X-men runs. According to Josh Nathanson, ComicLink President, “There has been overwhelming collector interest in these comic books, and this is the finest collection we’ve brought to market since we opened in 1996.” The Rocky Mountain Avengers run, along with other runs, is slated to be auctioned by ComicLink in their February sale.

The comic books were stored meticulously for decades in a cool, dry basement, and have bold, newsstand-fresh colors and white or off-white to white pages. There are many Rocky Mountain examples that are the highest certified for their issue. Examples include Amazing Spider-Man #31, Fantastic Four #54, and X-men #39, all of which received CGC grades of 9.8.

Mark Haspel, CGC President and Primary Grader comments, “One of the unique things about the Rocky Mountain pedigree is that there are photographs of it in its original state, making it one of the most thoroughly documented pedigrees. It has long runs of Marvel and DC, and because of their high grades and their market acceptance, this collection certainly has special merit.”

Comic books previously sold by ComicLink as the Rocky Mountain pedigree without notation on the CGC label can be sent in for pedigree reholder for an $11 service fee. To qualify, books must remain in their CGC holder as originally certified. Contact CGC for additional information.

This is a joke.

This is by far one of the lamest pedigrees around, and of the pedigrees that have been discovered since the creation of CGC, this is definitely the lamest one that has been recognized by CGC. Can someone remind me which major keys are in this collection?

How this collection of Marvels from that notoriously difficult post-1964 period meh can qualify for a pedigree, when something like the David Toth collection, which contains high grade books from a period that is genuinely difficult to find high grade books, and quite a few major keys in high grade, is really beyond me.

i knew this was coming- and i couldn't agree more. toth is more impressive then what we've seen of RM so far. maybe haspel has insight into what books are still to be unveiled (shrug). but where are the keys in HG? while we're not on the topic, what makes Bowling Green a ped?

while we're not on the topic, what makes Bowling Green a ped?

Gorgeosity!

Cap104BG.jpg

Seriously, it is in the grouping of weak SA pedigrees. It lacks early keys in high grade, but has killer runs of mid to late sixties Marvels, with a slew of top census copies. Put it in the pile with the Boston, Winnipeg, Oakland and Rocky Mountain peds.

while we're not on the topic, what makes Bowling Green a ped?

Gorgeosity!

Cap104BG.jpg

Seriously, it is in the grouping of weak SA pedigrees. It lacks early keys in high grade, but has killer runs of mid to late sixties Marvels, with a slew of top census copies. Put it in the pile with the Boston, Winnipeg, Oakland and Rocky Mountain peds.

thanks- i wasn't knocking it, i honestly didn't know. i recall recently seeing a lot of 7.0, 7.5 BG's posted here that were less than overwhelming.

Do you not have a girlfriend?

What does that have to do with anything? Vacations and hookers don't count. lol

It's apparently considered both a pedigree and a collection. I mean, on labels it's referred to as the Don Rosa Collection. At the same time, it has made CGCs' list of pedigrees (something that warehouse finds like Mile High II have not).

Weird, no?

It started as a Collection (enough copies were submitted to get his name on the label - see also Dallas Stephens), then became a Pedigree.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=857245&fpart=1

And you are concerned about pressed books and trimming. doh!

I'm not personally concerned about pressing or trimming at all because I'm not collecting.

As for my "girlfriend", what we have is barely a relationship. I don't lie and she knows the score. I'm not at a point in my life where I'm going to settle down, and she knows that. That's why I date 20 year olds.

So there you go; more information than you needed, but I've been mis-characterized enough for one day and some people apparently take these posts way too seriously. ;)

I completely agree, it looks as though we'll be seeing quite a few more SA pedigrees in the future.. since this is certainly not the only high grade "OO" SA collection out there. Just keeps watering down the pedigrees more and more.

Just a general reply to all.

I am pleased to see this pedigree. "Why?", you may ask?

Because a Pedigree should not be about $$$. It should simply be about provenance. Something of the history of a book.

We can all go into an LCS or shop online for back issues and find nice books (especially GA/SA). Did you ever wonder from where a particular book came?

To me this has ALWAYS been the importance of a pedigree. While I am not a hard core collector anymore I spent over 30 years as one. I can appreciate the collector mind set. We have concepts like "Classic Cover". Or "Early Ditko". What these concepts mean is that a particular book has a quality that sets it a bit apart from those around it. And we pay X amount of dollars more for it, pedigree or not.

So why not a Pediigree? If we can track a large collection to the original owner, being bought from the original retail venue, why not acknoweldge that. It does NOT mean the book has to sell for X amount more than the non-pedigree biook. THAT concept is something that is manufactured by the collectors, since the collectors ultimately determine the price.

I say let's have MORE pedigrees. Let the collector determine the "value" but also let the collectors know that this book was originally collected by So And So. Provenance is an important aspect of any collectible. Simply to know about it.

And while the mid-60's is often touted as the real start of comic book collecting, I humbly submit that the 70's was the real start of general hoarding/buying multple copies/ cherry picking new books etc. by more and more collectors.

To my mind any SA collection of size, accumulated by one collector from the original retail source is worthy of a "pedigree". They do not even have to contain many keys. They should just be a reflection of a particular, known, collector's interests and accumulation.

I wonder what their main motivation was? hm

Andy

Oh good, another pedigree. meh

There are still plenty of no nothing books for you to collect, Michael.

Quit calling me Michael, James.

And the longer you cretins stay away from the books I want, the better.

from what we have already seen of the Rocky Mountains, the jury is still out on Pedigree status IMO. But, if the rest of the runs, DC and Marvel are similar to the incredible Spideys and FFs so far?? Sure thing.

Another thing, seems to me that CGC hasnt named a new official Pedigree in quite a while. Sure there are a lot to date, but so many nice collections fell short that I have to think this one might be something special.

WHEN do we find out what else is coming? I noticed that some "Original Owner" comics appeared on Comiclink tonight. Are these Rocky Mountains?

I am pleased to see this pedigree. "Why?", you may ask?

Because a Pedigree should not be about $$$. It should simply be about provenance. Something of the history of a book.

Let the collector determine the "value" but also let the collectors know that this book was originally collected by So And So. Provenance is an important aspect of any collectible. Simply to know about it.

To my mind any SA collection of size, accumulated by one collector from the original retail source is worthy of a "pedigree". They do not even have to contain many keys. They should just be a reflection of a particular, known, collector's interests and accumulation.

I disagree with you on a lot of this, because I think big OO collections of SA Marvels are not particularly unique if grade is not an issue, and if there are tons of OO collections of any-grade SA books, I can't see anything particularly worthy of celebration in terms of knowing the provenance. By your logic, we should also be celebrating all the OO collections of 80s and 90s comics too, MANY of which are HG, and there would probably be 200 pedigrees from board members alone.

But setting that issue aside for the moment, I'm still not sure what we're celebrating about this particular pedigree. You'll have to refresh my memory, what exactly is it that we know about the provenance of this pedigree, or about "So And So" who put it together, other than that it was assembled by one collector and supposedly there are pictures to prove it?

As far as I can tell, at this point all we know about this collection is that it was assembled by one person, and has lots of really high grade books from the mid- and late-1960s. Where's the human element again?