• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I want some expert opinions on preferred method of storage?

37 posts in this topic

Whis is quite the opposite of how I like to store my, well, you know what..... ;-)

Well, don't need it to be bright. But definitely warm, moist, no bag and I never get bored.... Uh oh, better stop while I'm behind.

Great topic....

I like the suggestions so far what about displaying your comics? I like the CGC slabs that I have my two graded books in and I put them up on the wall so I can look at them. How harsh is the exposure to light? They are not sitting in direct sunlight but will the room lights effect them much?

I am sure the Mylar and backboards would display really well but the CGC rating on the slab makes for great conversation when people come over.

Unfortunately, I don't think I would display any cgc graded book if it is of any value. Storage needs to be in the dark. One of MY biggest problems is constantly wanting to look at my awesome high grades. Admiring, showing, and changing out the bags and boards. I need to learn to toss it in a Mylar bag and leave it in the box. Someone sent me a PM suggesting I take some high res scans of my books so that I can look at them digitally whenever I want. I think this is good advice. I knows its not the same thing - but I would die if some of my books lost there NM/Mint grade.

Light is one of our worst enemies. I only display my cgc modern books - cuz frankly I don't care about them as much.

We have always been told vertical storage is best (like a comic box), but if you use mylites, I would opt for flat stacking, no more than 20 books in a stack, and rotate position. Even in full mylar, i now prefer flat stacking for long term storage.

What's the benefit of flat stacking for long term storage?

**Thanks for the link to the microchamber paper, Johnny!

If you really want ideal storage, invest in the dehumidifier to maintain a constant level. Wide fluctuations are bad for the books. And get a digital hygrometer. They're $10-$20 at the hardware store and will tell you exactly where the humidity is Don’t rely solely on the humidifier if it has a readout.

Anyone have any experience using a foodsaver or something like that?

DO NOT use a foodsaver or similar machine. Most of these machines use a vacuum system to remove air in order to further the life of the food. The wife and I bought one and I thought it would be fun to try a bagel. It sucked all the air out of the bag and crushed the bagel. Even in a Mylite or full Mylar I think the book would get damaged.

One time as a test, I put about 40 readers in a Foodsaver bag, and after the air was drained, the stack was about 2 inches high and it got so hard you could have cracked someones skull with it. It was like a slab of slate.

I prefer the time-tested methods:

1. Buy a house with a basement with cedar paneling in Boulder, CO

2. Store books in 7 foot high stacks

3. Don`t ever read, touch or move the books

4. Continue for 30 years

4. Continue for 30 years

never work.

4. Continue for 30 years

never work.

Yea, you'll just end up selling them to some guy named Chuck for 10 cents apiece someday !!

4. Continue for 30 years

never work.

Yea, you'll just end up selling them to some guy named Chuck for 10 cents apiece someday !!

exactly. where's the sense in that?

Anyone have any experience using a foodsaver or something like that?

DO NOT use a foodsaver or similar machine. Most of these machines use a vacuum system to remove air in order to further the life of the food. The wife and I bought one and I thought it would be fun to try a bagel. It sucked all the air out of the bag and crushed the bagel. Even in a Mylite or full Mylar I think the book would get damaged.

One time as a test, I put about 40 readers in a Foodsaver bag, and after the air was drained, the stack was about 2 inches high and it got so hard you could have cracked someones skull with it. It was like a slab of slate.

what What WHAT? what was the condition of the books after you opened the slab of slate? from poor to poorer?

I bought my MicroChamber paper here in the past.

http://www.conservationresources.com/Main/section_11/section11_01.htm

$19.50 for 250 shhets of 8 1/2 x 11 - comes packed like office printer paper -

They have other sizes also and if memory serves they will custom cut, but I prefer to cut it myself to the size of the book.

I bought my MicroChamber paper here in the past.

http://www.conservationresources.com/Main/section_11/section11_01.htm

$19.50 for 250 shhets of 8 1/2 x 11 - comes packed like office printer paper -

They have other sizes also and if memory serves they will custom cut, but I prefer to cut it myself to the size of the book.

Wow, that seems like a good deal. Thanks almoe.