• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I want some expert opinions on preferred method of storage?

37 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about getting some of my high grade ff books slabbed for no other reason than the maximum protection that comes with having them encased in plastic and the other preservation qualities that come with. Is this THE best way of storage? I was thinking of getting a food saver machine to have my comics air sealed too? Or just leaving them in there mylars and changing their boards every so often.

What do you my fellow collectors think? I do realize this probably has been covered before but I am brand spankin new to this board and this is something i have been thinking on for a while now.

Thanks in advance!!!

I'm thinking about getting some of my high grade ff books slabbed for no other reason than the maximum protection that comes with having them encased in plastic and the other preservation qualities that come with. Is this THE best way of storage? I was thinking of getting a food saver machine to have my comics air sealed too? Or just leaving them in there mylars and changing their boards every so often.

What do you my fellow collectors think? I do realize this probably has been covered before but I am brand spankin new to this board and this is something i have been thinking on for a while now.

Thanks in advance!!!

Real advice. Don't overthink. Don't go nuts. A Mylite 2 with fulback and microchamber paper inside of front and back covers should offer fine protection. The only advantage the slab offers is the rigid plastic. But Shaken Comic Syndrome is also a fact. So just put your books in a 4 mil mylar or a mylite 2 and use a fullback buffered backing board. Tuck the microchamber paper fore and 'aft and you have a nicley encased book. Just be sure the environment is pretty stable as far as temp/humidity.

Thanks in advance!!!

Real advice. Don't overthink. Don't go nuts. A Mylite 2 with fulback and microchamber paper inside of front and back covers should offer the same protection s a CGC slab. The only advantage the slab offers is the rigid plastic. But Shaken Comic Syndrome is also a fact. So just put your books in a 4 mil mylar or a mylite 2 and use a fullback buffered backing board. Tuck the microchamber paper fore and 'aft and you have a nicley encased book. Just be sure the environment is pretty stable as far as temp/humidity.

I second.

You definitely can't go wrong with a Mylite, a full back, and the mc paper. Good advice (thumbs u I think trying to overprotect your books will cause you more problems than they're worth. I'm no expert but continual exposure to light is never a good idea for a book you want to protect. A cooler, dry environment is always best.

Good luck and welcome to the boards :hi:

thanks guys - I suppose another advantage to NOT getting them slabbed would be the ease in swapping out the micro-chamber paper.

Do you think there are any dis-advantages to cgc slabbing - other than the shaken comic syndrome? and what i mentioned above.

I think slabbing them is only good if you .....

A. Wanna sell them and have the buyer know exactly what they are getting.....

B. Just love the cover so much that you don't need to ever read it again.......

Just my opinion. I slab only when I also have a reader copy to .......READ :grin:

Do you think there are any dis-advantages to cgc slabbing - other than the shaken comic syndrome? and what i mentioned above.

Cost. Expensive. Run away unless youi're planning to sell.

Point taken. However, cost isn't the issue here. I meant any dis-advantages of storing a valuable comic in the slab as opposed to the tried and tru method. (besides any person caused problems like shaken comic syndrome)

Point taken. However, cost isn't the issue here. I meant any dis-advantages of storing a valuable comic in the slab as opposed to the tried and tru method. (besides any person caused problems like shaken comic syndrome)

No. But no real advantages except for the rigidity of the slab itself. If you are simply careful this should not be an issue. But you said "any person caused problems like shaken comic syndrome." Most of the problems would be "person caused". If you store the books as I suggested, keep them above gorund level (for flooding - although cgc books will get wet in a flood- not airtight) maintain as consistent temp and humidity as you can (yes even for cgc books) your will be fine.

Anyone have any experience using a foodsaver or something like that?

DO NOT use a foodsaver or similar machine. Most of these machines use a vacuum system to remove air in order to further the life of the food. The wife and I bought one and I thought it would be fun to try a bagel. It sucked all the air out of the bag and crushed the bagel. Even in a Mylite or full Mylar I think the book would get damaged.

I agree. Don't use a vacuum seal. Use what Povertyrow suggests. You can't go wrong with that. Mylar bags only. You never have to change them.

More important than anything is to keep them in a controlled climate. Don't put them in the attic or any other place where they will be subject to high temperatures. Cool with controlled humidity is the way to go. The humidity doesn't need to be too damp, nor too dry. :eek:

Great topic....

I like the suggestions so far what about displaying your comics? I like the CGC slabs that I have my two graded books in and I put them up on the wall so I can look at them. How harsh is the exposure to light? They are not sitting in direct sunlight but will the room lights effect them much?

I am sure the Mylar and backboards would display really well but the CGC rating on the slab makes for great conversation when people come over.

Any light that emits UV rays will make the ink fade over time.

Florescent lights are probably the worst, but most artifical lights have some degree of UV. There are safe lights, but I don't know which are the best. I'm sure someone here does.

Keep in mind that UV rays can come from ambient light coming from a window or another room, as well.

Anyone have any experience using a foodsaver or something like that?

DO NOT use a foodsaver or similar machine. Most of these machines use a vacuum system to remove air in order to further the life of the food. The wife and I bought one and I thought it would be fun to try a bagel. It sucked all the air out of the bag and crushed the bagel. Even in a Mylite or full Mylar I think the book would get damaged.

Did you eat the bagel?? With or without cream cheese?

I've seen it asked a few times here, but I didn't see an answer.

Where do you guys get your microchamber paper?

DiceX: I like your "magical" picture of Cap. Talk about a comic rack...

... :boo: