• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why are we charged % FMV?

87 posts in this topic

Not the same.

You know going in to shop how much it will cost you.

You never get a call after telling you..

"oh we didnt know it was a Lexus so it will cost more to chaneg the oil"

The Slidding scale means we wont really know the final price.

a Tired pricing scale would work better and give customers some security on pricing

I prefer an Energetic pricing scale myself. :whistle:

Or a Tiered pricing scale

I know that I have submitted a couple of books that came back graded much lower than I had graded them and valued them on the submission form, and when I called and asked them about the price difference between what I had already paid them for said books and what the actual charge should now be, I was told that I would receive a credit on my next submission/s.

I did not. Another phone call stated it was an oversight and I would receive a credit on my next submission.

I did not.

It was not a huge sum of money and I just "let it go". I guess a case could be made that if their insurance automatically covers a book coming in to their facility "valued" at whatever, then a devaluation at the end of the process wouldn't change the insurance cost while the book was in their facility for those weeks (or months), waiting for the final grading to be assigned.

Isn't the obvious answer to just undervalue your books, then? Then, when they are worth more you just pay more. No big deal and you mitigated your risk of loss.

Not the same.

You know going in to shop how much it will cost you.

You never get a call after telling you..

"oh we didnt know it was a Lexus so it will cost more to chaneg the oil"

The Slidding scale means we wont really know the final price.

a Tired pricing scale would work better and give customers some security on pricing

I prefer an Energetic pricing scale myself. :whistle:

Or a Tiered pricing scale

...but the scale is tiered and spelled out in black and white. It just happens to be variable based on the value of the book. It's relative to the quality of the book.

If you graded an AF #15 would you want to pay a standard AF #15 price whether the book graded 2.0 or 9.0? Is that fair?

R.

If you graded an AF #15 would you want to pay a standard AF #15 price whether the book graded 2.0 or 9.0? Is that fair?

R.

In truth Roy, it takes more work to grade a 2.0. Just sayin'.

Isn't the obvious answer to just undervalue your books, then? Then, when they are worth more you just pay more. No big deal and you mitigated your risk of loss.

Exactly. If you send them in as standards or economies they will get graded just as fairly as if you sent them walk through and if you get "the phone call" you will be a happy camper. It just takes a little longer.

I walk through a lot of stuff simply because it's faster. $90 to get it done in a day...even though the book may not be worth more than $4000. I could get it done cheaper but sometimes time is more important.

(shrug)

Efficiency and quality will always cost more. I live by the saying that [relatively speaking] you always get what you pay for.

(thumbs u

R.

Maybe not a good arguement but you understood my point, no?

R.

Sorta...

R.

Sorta...

You don't want to pay the same price to grade an AF #14 as you do an AF #15 even though they are from the same era, printed on the same paper and in the same grade but one is worth exponentially more simply because of the content.

Better?

R.

Sorta...

You don't want to pay the same price to grade an AF #14 as you do an AF #15 even though they are from the same era, printed on the same paper and in the same grade but one is worth exponentially more simply because of the content.

Better?

If CGC is an impartial third party grading company then the value of the item they are grading theoretically shouldn't have any bearing on the level of service they provide in doing the job of grading that item. An Amazing Adult Fantasy 14 and an Amazing Fantasy 15 do have vastly different levels of of value and historical importance, but to an impartial grader they are each 36 pages with defects to be determined. So, in theory, the same amount of time and work is spent on each.

Obviously there are other issues at play in determining te cost to grade each of those items (insurance and liability being the most obvious), but the actual work is the same. So ultimately the difference in price is solely at CGC's discretion. We pay more because they charge more.

Yeah Rick, but you know how to grade.

There are plenty of people who send in a book they feel is valued at $100 and the book ends up being graded and valued as a $10,000 book (or whatever figure you want to conjure up).

Those people might get an unexpected phone call that now they have to pay an additional few $100 in grading fees.

What a travesty.

:insane:

Bottom line is CGC needs to turn a profit while providing a competetively priced service. People are free to speak with their wallets as that is the language that speaks the loudest to any business.

R.

I guess the bottom line for me is i'm paying for a service I want. And am happy to pay what they charge. Heck, if I get a phone call telling me that I owe more, then the book I submitted must be higher grade than I thought and likely worth more now anyway. So what's not to be happy about?

I guess the bottom line for me is i'm paying for a service I want. And am happy to pay what they charge. Heck, if I get a phone call telling me that I owe more, then the book I submitted must be higher grade than I thought and likely worth more now anyway. So what's not to be happy about?

agree.gif

R.

Sorta...

Better?

If CGC is an impartial third party grading company then the value of the item they are grading theoretically shouldn't have any bearing on the level of service they provide in doing the job of grading that item. An Amazing Adult Fantasy 14 and an Amazing Fantasy 15 do have vastly different levels of of value and historical importance, but to an impartial grader they are each 36 pages with defects to be determined. So, in theory, the same amount of time and work is spent on each.

Obviously there are other issues at play in determining te cost to grade each of those items (insurance and liability being the most obvious), but the actual work is the same. So ultimately the difference in price is solely at CGC's discretion. We pay more because they charge more.

Right, and again, should the AF #14 submitter be subsidizing a higher insurance premium because CGC also grades AF #15's or should each book pay it's own way independant of other books?

R.

It costs you more to get an expensive comic book graded by CGC because that is what CGC charges to grade your expensive comic book.

Exactly.

You conceivably stand to profit from submitting a high end book, and that profit is directly as a result of the certification process, so there's no reason why CGC shouldn't get their piece.

Right, and again, should the AF #14 submitter be subsidizing a higher insurance premium because CGC also grades AF #15's or should each book pay it's own way independant of other books?

R.

That's not for me to decide.

agree.gif

me too

R.

Again, exactly. This is not something up for debate and yet people continue to do so...they debate CGC's business model on their hosted website.

As I see it, the service CGC provides is relatively cheap compared to what they could charge and still see lots of business.

R.

R.

Again, exactly. This is not something up for debate and yet people continue to do so...they debate CGC's business model on their hosted website.

As I see it, the service CGC provides is relatively cheap compared to what they could charge and still see lots of business.

R.

Considering the amount of money they're making for people, they really should raise their prices.

It costs you more to get an expensive comic book graded by CGC because that is what CGC charges to grade your expensive comic book.

Exactly.

You conceivably stand to profit from submitting a high end book, and that profit is directly as a result of the certification process, so there's no reason why CGC shouldn't get their piece.

And therefor CGC benefits from the books grades

Exactly.

And therefor CGC benefits from the books grades

Yeah, so?