• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nik's grading contest....would you still purchase from them???

56 posts in this topic

Was just thinking of how many people might question to purchase future books from sellers, that are currently part of the contest, that may not be doing so hot (shrug)

Not tryin to stir the krap mind you (tsk) , as I am only doing avg myself doh! . Just seeing who is surprised where people are sitting in the current rankings.... (shrug)

Discuss.

Was just thinking of how many people might question to purchase future books from sellers, that are currently part of the contest, that may not be doing so hot (shrug)

Not tryin to stir the krap mind you (tsk) , as I am only doing avg myself doh! . Just seeing who is surprised where people are sitting in the current rankings.... (shrug)

Discuss.

I won't let the contests results influence my judgment.

Heck, how do you know if the contestant did not send in a grade and got a -1 or if he actually missed by a long shot?

I haven't submitted the last 2 rounds :shrug:

It wasn't that long ago that when buying a book mail order all you had to go on was a description and maybe a B/W photo. You could play it safe and only buy from dealers you trusted or you could gamble once in a while. I look at the addition of color scans a huge bonus - and try and gauge condition as much by that as any description given. Here, as on ebay, there are sellers I would buy from sight unseen, others I find to be solid graders but still am happy to see a scan, and yet others I find to be honest, but let's say a little generous in their grading of raw books - and would have to like the price before pulling the trigger.

You can't tell whether a person's negative score is due to undergrading or overgrading so their score in the contest doesn't affect me at all. Heck, Flaming Telepath is famous for his undergrading and I love to buy books from him. ( :hi: (thumbs u Nick)

When I buy raw books on the Boards, I am more concerned about the seller's reputation on the Boards and their return policy.

I don't think it will influence mine. Grading is subjective. What matters to me is all - around customer service. I'm much happier with a dealer that responds properly to an overgraded book and makes it right for me, than one who grades dead on, but doesn't leave me with a feeling of happiness.

I like the mayberry-esque dealer who shares your excitement about picking up a special book right along with you.

Trends of poor grading....now thats a different story all together.

Niks contest is not a trend of poor grading, just one instance.

is there any consideration given to whether book was overgraded or undergraded? or is it strictly negative or low points for being two grades or more off cgc? i'm not in the contest but i am consistently too low when i take a stab at the grades on the books posted.

I finished in the top twenty in last year's contest...but in this year's contest, I seem to be undergrading across the board, to the point that I'm just barely ahead of guys who stopped submitting grades two weeks ago. lol

I agree with Mightybean...service and a good rep are what count for me. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from most folks here, regardless of their scores.

When I buy raw books on the Boards, I am more concerned about the seller's reputation on the Boards and their return policy.

Yup.....I agree with this WBC. A comic deal should not be finished as soon as the seller gets his cash......but as soon as the buyer is satisfied with what he got.

And about the over/under thing.......two people might be 20 points off the lead in this contest, but if thats cuz they consistently were giving higher grades to books that were lower......or lower grades to books that were higher.....is unknown. But that would make a BIG difference to a buyer.

...but in this year's contest, I seem to be undergrading across the board, to the point that I'm just barely ahead of guys who stopped submitting grades two weeks ago. lol

Yeah yeah yeah ... Prove it :sumo:

I want the records made public rantrant

:baiting: