• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anybody know about cleaning and pressing?

36 posts in this topic

I had once seen a website for some ladies comic cleaning and pressing business. I have no clue what site it is, but I'm sure this is the place to ask. She had a feature on the site where you swipe your mouse across the book's image and compare it before and after.

Anywho, I can't remember the place and I'm sure some people here have to know site for places like that.

Reason I ask is because I have an issue of ASM #129 that I'd like to get cleaned and pressed. From what I saw on the site it's a prime candidate for this process and could be made to look much better than it is now.

Anyone also know the costs? Thanks!

Your book is really in bad shape because of the ink. Do not show this book to your friends. PM me and I will give you a fair price and go hide it for you.

That is not "distributor ink". Distributor ink is the little stripe of various colors on the top edge of the book. They used that stripe to tell what books needed to be pulled by just glancing at the top of the books on the newsstand.

That blue ink around the edges is from a book that was returned. Probably overstock that didn't sell, and was pulled to put the new issue on the stands.

Actually Steve, you're wrong on all points, but the first (in bold) :grin:

That is not "distributor ink". Distributor ink is the little stripe of various colors on the top edge of the book. They used that stripe to tell what books needed to be pulled by just glancing at the top of the books on the newsstand.

That blue ink around the edges is from a book that was returned. Probably overstock that didn't sell, and was pulled to put the new issue on the stands.

(thumbs u that was done at the store level,not from the dist.

Wrong too! :grin:

did'nt the store owners have to destroy the books,either tear off the top of the cover or they stacked up the books and painted the tops to return the comics back to the dist.? (shrug)

No, not at all. You have the distribution model all mixed up. Before the direct market, i.e., pre-1975, comics were distributed to retailers by magazine distributors, much like Life, and Look, and Time, and Better Homes and Gardens :grin: As with all magazines, the retailers were allowed to return any unsold items to the distributor for credit. The retailer didn't need to do anything, just return them. This led to date stamps and or handwritten dates on comics, so the retailer knew when they were eligible for return. Unlike magazines, the publish date on comics had no bearing to the sales date, as comic publishers got way ahead of themselves. For example, it was not uncommon for a comic with an indicia date of February 1967, being sold in November 1966. Hence the retailer had to note either the receipt date or the 30-day expiration date on his comics to know which ones to return to the magazine distributor (note: not the Publisher) for credit.

These books (or mags) were called "remainders". The distributor then had to return these to the publisher for credit. The distributor was not "allowed" to resell these books after return (although they often did). The publisher didn't really want them back either. So the individual distributors had an agreement with the various publishers to render the books "un-resellable" in some way. Consequently, there became a whole black market for selling remainders - books that had been returned for credit by the distributor to the publisher, but then resold unblemished (but a little worse for wear and tear) for a reduced price. What you are talking about is the various ways publishers insisted that the distributor render the remainders unsellable - cut corners, punched holes, covers torn in half, etc.

I'll talk about "distributor's ink" next. :grin:

did'nt the store owners have to destroy the books,either tear off the top of the cover or they stacked up the books and painted the tops to return the comics back to the dist.? (shrug)

No, not at all. You have the distribution model all mixed up. Before the direct market, i.e., pre-1975, comics were distributed to retailers by magazine distributors, much like Life, and Look, and Time, and Better Homes and Gardens :grin: As with all magazines, the retailers were allowed to return any unsold items to the distributor for credit. The retailer didn't need to do anything, just return them. This led to date stamps and or handwritten dates on comics, so the retailer knew when they were eligible for return. Unlike magazines, the publish date on comics had no bearing to the sales date, as comic publishers got way ahead of themselves. For example, it was not uncommon for a comic with an indicia date of February 1967, being sold in November 1966. Hence the retailer had to note either the receipt date or the 30-day expiration date on his comics to know which ones to return to the magazine distributor (note: not the Publisher) for credit.

These books (or mags) were called "remainders". The distributor then had to return these to the publisher for credit. The distributor was not "allowed" to resell these books after return (although they often did). The publisher didn't really want them back either. So the individual distributors had an agreement with the various publishers to render the books "un-resellable" in some way. Consequently, there became a whole black market for selling remainders - books that had been returned for credit by the distributor to the publisher, but then resold unblemished (but a little worse for wear and tear) for a reduced price. What you are talking about is the various ways publishers insisted that the distributor render the remainders unsellable - cut corners, punched holes, covers torn in half, etc.

:popcorn:

:popcorn:

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Yes, tell us another story papa smurf.

Please?

So the individual distributors had an agreement with the various publishers to render the books "un-resellable" in some way. Consequently, there became a whole black market for selling remainders - books that had been returned for credit by the distributor to the publisher, but then resold unblemished (but a little worse for wear and tear) for a reduced price. What you are talking about is the various ways publishers insisted that the distributor render the remainders unsellable - cut corners, punched holes, covers torn in half, etc.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

ff2.jpg

So the individual distributors had an agreement with the various publishers to render the books "un-resellable" in some way. Consequently, there became a whole black market for selling remainders - books that had been returned for credit by the distributor to the publisher, but then resold unblemished (but a little worse for wear and tear) for a reduced price. What you are talking about is the various ways publishers insisted that the distributor render the remainders unsellable - cut corners, punched holes, covers torn in half, etc.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

ff2.jpg

That hurts . . . that really hurts :cry:

ff2.jpg

:sick:

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Yes, tell us another story papa smurf.

Please?

I can't tell if you're serious . . . or not. (shrug)

Very serious, But since when did that matter! :kidaround:

:hi: