• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2009...1 to 365!

12,875 posts in this topic

Marvel-Premiere-44.jpg

What a hideous costume and cluttered cover design. It must have hurt to pay actual money for that one just because of the playing card theme. (Apologies if you like it. I've reluctantly paid for some books with my element cover theme.)

Space Western is highest graded copy, but one boardie has a copy that puts this one to shame. (Hadn't noticed before but the Nazi flag is backward from the way it is nearly always displayed.)

Space-Western-44.jpg

Fantastic! What a wild series.

I've wondered about the backwards swastika too. Maybe because it's not the actual Nazis, but an accidentally similar group of Martian Nazis?

Jack

Marvel-Premiere-44.jpg

What a hideous costume and cluttered cover design. It must have hurt to pay actual money for that one just because of the playing card theme. (Apologies if you like it. I've reluctantly paid for some books with my element cover theme.)

Jack

I am grateful that he usually just has his costume and not playing cards in the background so that I don't have to buy them all. His covers do tend to end up busy, possibly because once someone is done with that detailed costume, adding a few other elements around the page seems necessary.

Adding Spidey didn't make a big improvement.

th_Marvel-Team-Up-134-CGC-98.jpg

Going after a theme, you do have to take the good with the bad. Hence my pride in owning a Powerpuff Girls and other hotly collected books.

On the road yesterday.

44 catch-up. Only two that I can find quickly.

Superboy 44 -- gooofy cover with Lana doing the "discover his secret identity" shtick.

superboy440001.jpg

G. I. Combat 44 -- 1st DC issue, ad for Kirby's Challengers of the Unknown.

Did paratrooper post a great copy of this one?

GIC44.jpg

Heck -- the defects are hardly noticeable (with your eyes shut) but the prices were right.

Jack

Metal Men 45 -- plutonium! Pretty nice copy but typically miscut. I think most copies of this book are miscut or misbound.

metalmen45.jpg

Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen 45. I think we already saw a nicer copy of this one.

I sent a copy of my scan to My Pal, Tom Baker, in Canada. He got a kick out of it and it immediately went up on his research group's bulletin board.

jimmy450002.jpg

Frisky Animals 45. Fun L. B. Cole cover, isn't it?

FriskyAnimals45.jpg

Crack Comics 45. Where's the Biff?

crack450001.jpg

Tragically, I don't have a copy of Bugs Bunny 45, but it's on my want list for this oddball uranium story that I have a scan of.

BugsBunny4526of42Bugs45-020jpg.jpg

Jack

This one gets its own post -- for sweetiebones on his special day!

Sugar and Spike 45, coincidentally, is a Valentine's Day cover! Surprisingly, I have a respectable copy.

SugSpike45.jpg

Jack

Nice timing !!!

This one gets its own post -- for sweetiebones on his special day!

Sugar and Spike 45, coincidentally, is a Valentine's Day cover! Surprisingly, I have a respectable copy.

SugSpike45.jpg

Jack

How fitting...A valentine's cover. Funny how things work out. (thumbs u

FriskyAnimals45.jpg

Great cover. I love the way he illustrated the zoo animals as well as the colors on the book.

Ken

Yes. His signature is just above the word GIANT at the bottom.

Thanks, but apparently my comment wasn't clear.

I meant, "This L. B. Cole cover is fun, isn't it?"

That's what I get for being so stingy with words.

Jack

FriskyAnimals45.jpg

Great cover. I love the way he illustrated the zoo animals as well as the colors on the book.

Ken

That is an awesome comic! To fit all that on a cover and still have it look good attests to Cole's brilliance.