• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2009...1 to 365!

12,875 posts in this topic

Here's a case where there is a story that matches a horror cover. There are only a few covers with the theme of the artist's work coming alive.

AdvUnk39-1.jpg

Only a few? I bet well over 30 -- didn't we have a "cover theme" posting a while back? At the time I blanked out on trying to remember Tales of the Unexpected 1 (DC's OTHER anthology title, I think I called it.)

You're is a good'n and so's that Burgos rainmaker cover.

Jack

Well then how about "the only cover where an artist's creation comes to life and the artist is a woman."

You're probably on to something there!

I wonder why the theme is so common. Artists and writers do tend to draw and write about things around them, esp. when Deadline Doom hits. Why else would Marvel fall back on stationery shop villains like The Living Eraser, Paste-Pot Pete and the Preposterous Pencil-Man?

Does it go back to Winsor McCay's Gertie the Dinosaur? Max Fleischer's Out of the Inkwell? Many sources, I suppose.

Jack

ok, one wasn't real

My favorite "40" :cloud9:

2178696529_9f1a56f4af_o.jpg

Nice copy. But a 9.2 with the color fading? Look at GA GL's right foot and right arm. Is that a printing flaw? Or is the red color faded to orange? Both of my copies all the red is the same. Just curious. Awesome book.

Day 40 already?

First one best viewed sideways:

DP40.jpg

Ahh, the Three-MIle Island cover:

GhostRider40.jpg

A different cover for a hero book:

GreenArrow40.jpg

And a return to my favorite title, although the line of shell-casings is disturbingly perfect:

WWT40.jpg

Till later!

Here's a case where there is a story that matches a horror cover. There are only a few covers with the theme of the artist's work coming alive.

AdvUnk39-1.jpg

Only a few? I bet well over 30 -- didn't we have a "cover theme" posting a while back? At the time I blanked out on trying to remember Tales of the Unexpected 1 (DC's OTHER anthology title, I think I called it.)

Jack

Well then how about "the only cover where an artist's creation comes to life and the artist is a woman."

I wonder why the theme is so common. Artists and writers do tend to draw and write about things around them, esp. when Deadline Doom hits. Why else would Marvel fall back on stationery shop villains like The Living Eraser, Paste-Pot Pete and the Preposterous Pencil-Man?

Does it go back to Winsor McCay's Gertie the Dinosaur? Max Fleischer's Out of the Inkwell? Many sources, I suppose.

Jack

ok, one wasn't real

Sorry for the confusion but there are only a few pre-code horror covers with this theme (three of them, IIRC).

My one book for today:

BraveBold40-3.jpg

Jack

Jack

ok, one wasn't real

Sorry for the confusion but there are only a few pre-code horror covers with this theme (three of them, IIRC).

Really, only three?!? You've obviously hunted them down so I believe you, but I'm surprised that the number is so low even w/ the restriction.

Maybe not quite as common as Kubert's monthly "We'll be safe as soon as we get around that corner. No WAY any Nazis would hide in there!" war cover.

Jack

My favorite "40" :cloud9:

2178696529_9f1a56f4af_o.jpg

Nice copy. But a 9.2 with the color fading? Look at GA GL's right foot and right arm. Is that a printing flaw? Or is the red color faded to orange? Both of my copies all the red is the same. Just curious. Awesome book.

Must be a printing flaw, the other colors on that part of the cover look fine to me. (shrug)