• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Last nights philly geekfest

31 posts in this topic

Yesterday a few of us board members met up after the local philly show at the Ramada. The show was good, everyone had bought some books and had a nice day. So afterwards we decided to go over to the loounge/bar and hang out for awhile. Our little party consisted of Foolkiller,Namisgr,ComcastHawk, Silver Rich, Blazing Bob, Jess (my wife), and Yours Truly.

I ordered up some Nachos and most the other guys had about 45 minute of pregaming before I got there, and Bob showed about 30 minutes after. We hung about, talked comics and had some great laughs. Namisgr loves the Molten Man ASM cover 27 I believe, and its his favorite. Which led to us ripping into him.. While Foolkiller and I went went for the supersweet 39 as the best of the first 100 (thumbs u . This was basically the whole event for us. Busting chops, talking books, talking about work, and life in general.

The main purpose to this post is this. Last night was to me what these boards were about. Getting together with some great guys (and gals), and talking about what we love. While Foolkiller was the first guy I met from the boards, and I consider him to be a 100% class act and great friend. I consider all these guys my friends..

So thanks guys for a load of laughs and a very enjoyable evening. We need to do this at every show. Yet another reason I love these boards. :cloud9:

And Brian I will not be on the boards and Ebay while my wife is giving birth. Well, at least I wont be taking pics in the delivery room like SOME people think... The latter may be possible depending upon reception :devil:

And Namisgr. Your secret is safe with me. lol

That's funny, Pat. I was ready to start a thread which said pretty much the same things you did. It was a great time. The only problem I had was holding my bladder until I got to my local bar. Oh...my Spidey cover was 33...please remember for next time.

And you should have tried to sell me some books. :grin:

That's funny, Pat. I was ready to start a thread which said pretty much the same things you did. It was a great time. The only problem I had was holding my bladder until I got to my local bar. Oh...my Spidey cover was 33...please remember for next time.

I will bust chops, but I do not try and sell to forum members. If they buy something, cool. But I actually enjoying hanging out with friends, not trying to be a salesman.

And I know you didnt pick the Molten Man cover. But WHO picks that cover for the best?? lol

And you kept drinking? You animal!! :headbang:

I will bust chops, but I do not try and sell to forum members. If they buy something, cool. But I actually enjoying hanging out with friends, not trying to be a salesman.

And I know you didnt pick the Molten Man cover. But WHO picks that cover for the best?? lol

I literally ran into the men's room when I got there and only drank until the Dallas/Giants game ended... :insane:

I literally ran into the men's room when I got there and only drank until the Dallas/Giants game ended... :insane:

At least you made it. Good thing you have a strong bladder.

Thanks are in order to Brian, who insisted on picking up the check. The next one's on yours truly.

(worship)

And Brian is always the man! Not even because he picked up the tab. But he always puts these dinners,lunches, or whatever together. (worship)

You might have figured Storms would grab the check with all the cash I laid on him...

:jokealert:

I got some really purty books from Bob and he worked nicely with me on the price. I hope he becomes a regular at this con.

You might have figured Storms would grab the check with all the cash I laid on him...

:jokealert:

I got some really purty books from Bob and he worked nicely with me on the price. I hope he becomes a regular at this con.

Bobs a great guy for sure! I know he is doing the next one.

What happens at the monthly Philly show stays... you get the idea.

Seriously, it's a friggin' ballroom in a small off-airport hotel. The bar is called the Flier's Lounge. There aren't more than 50 attendees in the room. It's not photogenic.

This was the best monthly Philly show of 2008 for a couple of reasons. The first was the presence of Al Stoltz and Bob Storms, bringing the quality of high grade slabs and raw material to an unprecedented level. The second was the cool gathering of the local chapter of these message boards over beers and nachos. I, too, want to publicly thank Brian/Foolkiller for springing for the tab, and all my fellow local boardies for making it a good time.

Only pix I've got are of my haul from the show. Any takers?

It's Issue #28! :baiting:

And mine is #33 as well SilverRich! :headbang:

My only pix from the show: from the haul.

Blazing Bob did this monthly show for the first time in '08, and he brought alot of goodies:

TOS47.jpg

and completing my run of Doctor Strange 169-183 in cgc 9.4 or better shape:

DrS178.jpg

Al Stoltz brought some fresh slabs from an original owner collection, including this one:

TTA100.jpg

And finally a couple of killer raw books.

This run is tough to find in great shape, but this copy from Dave Reynolds fits the bill: Scooby #4

Scooby4.jpg

and I picked this one up from Foolkiller at the show, and it's a stunner. The man has an eye for sweet comics. Neal Adams cover/interior:

Conan37.jpg