• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Freaks Of Nature - got any?

28 posts in this topic

Maybe there's already a thread for this.. :shrug:

I was scanning some books tonight and came across a Dell Four Color #168 I bought off ebay over 10 years ago. Thing has got to be the worst cut book I've personally seen. I still love it though -- and so did Garry Roberts, who signed it neatly in pencil.

Care to share YOUR ugly, freakish, malformed books? :insane: You know you got 'em.

FourColor168front.jpg

FourColor168rear.jpg

Hey, thanks. It's the Feature Book (no-number) "Popeye and the Jeep". It was later reprinted as Feature Book #3 with a different (green) cover. It contains b/w Thimble Theatre strip reprints. I don't really know the story behind it.. but apparently not many copies survived. Overstreet says "Very Rare" -- "3 known copies" (although I know of copies they apparently don't), and Gerber says "SI 10".

I picked up this copy on ebay a few months back. A woman in Queens found it in her dad's attic along with a couple other books. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the listing. I had a hunch it was the nn Feature Book, but I had no reference photos to verify against. Gerber doesn't show it.

(Better pictures are here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2605548#Post2605548)

Matt Nelson is currently doing conservation work on the book. I'm excited to see the results!

Hey, thanks. It's the Feature Book (no-number) "Popeye and the Jeep". It was later reprinted as Feature Book #3 with a different (green) cover. It contains b/w Thimble Theatre strip reprints. I don't really know the story behind it.. but apparently not many copies survived. Overstreet says "Very Rare" -- "3 known copies" (although I know of copies they apparently don't), and Gerber says "SI 10".

I picked up this copy on ebay a few months back. A woman in Queens found it in her dad's attic along with a couple other books. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the listing. I had a hunch it was the nn Feature Book, but I had no reference photos to verify against. Gerber doesn't show it.

(Better pictures are here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2605548#Post2605548)

Matt Nelson is currently doing conservation work on the book. I'm excited to see the results!

With all of those Popeye books, you may be the person that can identify this early Four Color comic. Is the page below from the Popeye and Wimpy book?

2234724838_b2b234579d_b.jpg

Leave it to my eye to fall in love with a gerber 10 lol Well, I can stop chasing that one as soon as I started Congrats on the find!

High grade, except for slight miscut. :insane:

wow! That HAS to win!

BATMAN 19 and Tec 71 are 2 books that are almost always miscut...sme worse than others.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Maybe there's already a thread for this.. :shrug:

I was scanning some books tonight and came across a Dell Four Color #168 I bought off ebay over 10 years ago. Thing has got to be the worst cut book I've personally seen. I still love it though -- and so did Garry Roberts, who signed it neatly in pencil.

Care to share YOUR ugly, freakish, malformed books? :insane: You know you got 'em.

Hey I love your Popeye books, tell me were all the Dell Four Color books reprints? I have been thinking of picking some of those up over the last year and was curious what is inside them. I have been enjoying reading the Fantagraphics Popeye reprints and thought a Dell Popeye comic would be a fun addition.