• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New official CGC Grade: Butt-Copy .1

46 posts in this topic

So now here's a question:

Does anyone think it would be worth buying this for whatever it ends at and then having Matt or another restoration guru put it back to what it should be?

I have no plans to do so...just curious.

You can buy this copy for less then $100 and pay few thousand to get it restored or you could cut out the middle man by paying a few thousand for a nice copy that isn't restored. Easy choice.

I hear ya pimpy, but I still think the end product can't help but be nicer when you start with a vf instead of a fair sumo.gif

Why would anybody restore a VF except to sell it with undisclosed restoration to maximize their profit? It'd be worth more as an unrestored VF than as a restored NM+.

Well, we were talking about Danny, but either way, I think it still holds true that the end product would look better if the starting product was of higher quality. Whether that's vf, fn, vg, gvg... it's all academic.

I don't know that much about resto, so I'd love to hear other comments (Paging: POVERTYROW) but I just don't think you could ever restore a book that is THAT beat above a 7.0 or so. But maybe I'm just talking out of my arse. confused-smiley-013.gif

but I just don't think you could ever restore a book that is THAT beat above a 7.0 or so. But maybe I'm just talking out of my arse. confused-smiley-013.gif

Of course you could, but it would cost too much and essentially defeat the purpose. As others have said, why spend the money on resto when you can just buy a clean 7.0 for the same eventual cost?

They had a resto article in either OS or Wizard where they took an early Batman in absolutely POS shape and toned it up to NM. Looked brand new, but it was very labor and cost intensive.

Wow you guys are fast! 893whatthe.gif

I was going to bid on it and start a post:

"Looky what I'm getting for Christmas"

foreheadslap.gif

btw- I was really going to bid, but since you want it maybe I'll pass.

Looks like it was baked in an oven

It actually looks to me like a comic that has been read over and over, and enjoyed for what it is by a kid/kids.

Those kids must have been half termite on their mother's side...

...or reader copy... if you're just getting a reader copy, do you care what grade it's in? Who among us has a 'cut-off point' for the lowest grade their *reader* copies can be in..?

I've never really understood this whole "reader copy" thing, as it all seems kind of silly to me.

For example, if I had a Good Action Comics #1, you could be dang sure I wouldn't be reading it, and the same for a VG AF #15 or FF #1.

We all have cut-offs in terms of condtionl it's usually based on rarity and cost as well, and that's what it is: a Condition Cut-Off, not a "Reader".

For example, if I had a Good Action Comics #1, you could be dang sure I wouldn't be reading it, and the same for a VG AF #15 or FF #1.

But Joe,..these are valuable books in any grade,..that's different,..in a case like that you would use a reprint for a reader copy,...but suppose you were putting together a complete run of high grade ASM and really enjoyed reading and re-reading the run,..you wouldn't break out your NM 9.6 copy of ASM #119 to read on the bowl and risk ruining it now would you?....but if you had a beat up G copy you bought for 2 bucks it wouldn't matter if it fell in when you flushed..

But Joe,..these are valuable books in any grade,..that's different,..in a case like that you would use a reprint for a reader copy,...but suppose you were putting together a complete run of high grade ASM and really enjoyed reading and re-reading the run,..

Sure, in that isolated case, but I really think this whole "reader" thing is ludicrous, especially in this day and age of TPB's, online scans, CD/DVD editions, Essentials, etc. Sure, some people buy a low-grade copies to read, but it's not the old days where that was the only avenue you could take.

There are far more comic completists out there, and they simply use budget, rarity and cost to determine their "grade cut-off' and it has absolutely nothing to do with reading them over and over.

but I really think this whole "reader" thing is ludicrous, especially in this day and age of TPB's, online scans, CD/DVD editions

Well I know for myself personally I would prefer a beat up reader over a TPB or archive any day,...first off with a TPB or cd rom you don't get a lot of things you would get with the original,....the ads,...the letter-page...it's just more genuine to me to experience the medium in the original format that it was created in.

Think of it this way,...think of your favorite all time movie, and how great it was to watchi In the theater on a big screen uncut, with previews and popcorn.....Is it the same when you watch it on television all chopped by commercials with all the naughty words and nude scenes edited??...and microwave popcorn...pffft,...need I say more?