• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

animals in comics makes me sad

34 posts in this topic

To answer some of the questions. My sons girlfriend was given the honor of naming him, and she just pulled Kobe out of thin air. She had no reason for picking it other than it was the first name she thought of (she is a little flghty, if you know what I mean) :)

My neighbor that killed Kobe was in fact the first person I introduced Kobe to, because I knew how big a hunter he was, as he hunted the previous years on the land adjacent to mine. The story is actually longer than I originally wrote. This neighbor not only fed Kobe everyday, (as were we), but he took pics of Kobe with his son, and he used to call us on the phone and tell us about some new food he had bought at the store, that Kobe seemed to really like a lot.

I found out about him killing Kobe because my dogs went under the fence between our properties and dragged back Kobe's "parts" and I let the dogs lead me to where they were getting this stuff, and right there was Kobe's blue ribbon, with blood on it. Plus, Kobe disappeared at that time. I did confront him about it, and he said that he didn't shoot Kobe. That someone else did. I could tell that he was lying. As I said, he moved a couple of weeks later. I don't know if that had been in the works or if he was scared.

I tried to cage Kobe up for that hunting season, by putting him in a 6 x 12 dog kennel, but he went spastic and was throwing himself against the chain link fencing and I was afrai that he was going to break his legs. Plus, it was illegal for me to have a pet deer without a license.

Me, Kobe, and my grandchildren on the back porch.

SIMG00162.jpg

That's very sad! Makes me want to go home and hug my dog.

I hope the kids took it alright and aren't put off about owning pets (it happens with younger kids sometimes).

The kids think that every deer they see in the woods is Kobe. We just told them he is all grown up, wild and free.

My wife and I had a deer jump over the hood of our car a couple of months ago. It leaped across the entire two lane country road, it's hooves just lightly touching our windshied. I had hit the brakes when I saw it coming out of the corner of my eye, and it was a most beautiful thing, but scary at the same time. They just don't seem to understand vehicles, even though they have been hurt and killed by many over the years. Funny how they take measures to avoid hunters but not many measures to avoid vehicles.

I miss my buddy. I wish I would have never picked him up in the first place, but I miss him. He came into our kitchen a couple of times, to eat. He was like a puppy. He would follow us around as we did our chores taking care of the miniature horses and the dogs. He was not afraid of the dogs and would attack them with his front hooves, using them like spears, to jab at their faces, if they gave him a problem. They never hurt him and he never hurt them. There is a dog lying beside him in the pic. That was a former police dog of the South Lebanon, Ohio, police department, which disbanded (taken over by the Sheriff's Office) and I rescued the dog from it's owner (the actual policeman who was the dogs former partner and put the dog in a cage and "forgot" about him for a year). It is another unbelieveable story that a police officer would let his "partner" suffer like that. The cop had went through a divorce and left the dog in the care of the ex, who had it in a kennel and would only feed it once a week or so. The dog only lived one month after I rescued it. He was old and in terrible condition. He had been the only police dog for that department for seven years. His name was Norris and he was a German Shepherd born in Germany. If anyone out there is from South Lebanon Ohio, yiou may have seen this dog before.

Another sad story. F-ing cop SOB (I can say that because I am a retired cop). There are good and bad in every race, religion, work and hobby.

It's always tough to lose an animal, but I hope you don't feel regret for helping him in the first place forever. It sounds like you made his short life a good one. Had you not come along, he likely would have died as a result of the injuries. It's sad how things turned out, but you and your grandkids will always have the good memories of Kobe.

Another shame about the police dog. Divorce or not, how does an officer treat his former partner like this? As you said, this is an isolated incident and I've seen plenty of officers treat their canine partners as they would treat a human partner, but this story is just bad news too!

i created the most depressing thread EVER

Ha Ha

Don't think that. It is good to talk about bad times. It is also good to have bad times. It makes one appreciate the good times. If it was all good, there would only be blah. We need bad times to have good times.

Kobe, Norris and other bad times, were blessings. As the saying goes, "it is better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all."

Now I have "Prescious", a female Golden Retriever, who has hip dysplasia, one blind eye, tear ducts that do not work, was a hundred pounds overweight and could not stand up on her own when I got her (she has lost 40 lbs thus far and can now get up), and is about 8 or 9 years old.

Sounds terrible I know. But, I am a sucker for someone who needs help, and she truly is prescious. "They" named her appropriately. "They" just didn't take real good care of her.

When our parents die, we do not sit around saying "man, I wish I wouldn't have ever had a mom or dad". We just remember the good times mostly.

Ex-wives now, might be a different story. Never had one of those. But, I digress.

I think it's just we're just desensitized to the killing of humans. I'm sure if we saw animals killed in movies, comics, and tv as much as humans, we'd eventually get desensitized to that, too.

This was part of the reason Brian K. Vaughn decided to write Pride of Baghdad as an anthropomorphic tale versus one using humans. It has less to do with our feeling bad about animals being killed if they appear to deserve it (i.e. some Rottweilers getting shot for attacking a person) than it does with seemingly innocent animals getting killed for no reason.

And Nickwire, I always turn the channel when one of those Sarah McLaughlin / SPCA commericals come on. :( If you're a sap, then you have me for company!

Me too. :(

I think it's just we're just desensitized to the killing of humans. I'm sure if we saw animals killed in movies, comics, and tv as much as humans, we'd eventually get desensitized to that, too.

This was part of the reason Brian K. Vaughn decided to write Pride of Baghdad as an anthropomorphic tale versus one using humans. It has less to do with our feeling bad about animals being killed if they appear to deserve it (i.e. some Rottweilers getting shot for attacking a person) than it does with seemingly innocent animals getting killed for no reason.

And Nickwire, I always turn the channel when one of those Sarah McLaughlin / SPCA commericals come on. :( If you're a sap, then you have me for company!

Me too. :(

Me three. One of my dogs is a rescue dog, so I don't feel too guilty about changing the channel. Well, she's not a 'rescue dog' in that I got her from a pound, but I picked her up off the side of the highway during a freezing rain. She had a horrible case of mange, intestinal parasites, and was an inch away from starvation. Now she's fat & sassy!

Returning to the thread topic, when one of my dogs decided to snack on some raw comics I had lying around, comics in animals made me sad.

"comics in animals made me sad."

Ha Ha. Been there. TMNT's 1 and 2, if you can believe it. Of all of the darn comic books they could have decided to play tug of war with, they chose those two. At the time (many years ago), it was no big deal. Now................%$#%@%$$$$$$$$

Even though the items I read to my 3 yr old every night (or discuss the photos at least) are National Geographic, National Geographic Traveler, & NG Kids!, I've lost all intellectual interest in animals. I used to love Nature on PBS but don't care anymore. Maybe if they snag a huge architoothus (sp) I'll care again. A yeti would be cool. Cyrptozoology is fun. My sentimental emotions run toward my 2 children now. I'm just not particularly moved by a dead animal like I was when Old Yeller died or at the end of Where the Red Fern Grows, or MKR's the Yearling. Dogs are not people.

I agree that dogs are not people. Dogs are better. I have never been lied to by a dog. I have never been shot at by a dog. I have never been robbed by a dog (that hotdog with chili and mustard doesn't count) :)

Given the choice of being stranded on an island with another man or a German Shepherd, I'll take the dog everytime.

Now, if the choice is between a dog and a woman............well, I gotta go with the woman. Sorry Rex old buddy.