• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Christmas '72 or How I became a Golden Age Collector

37 posts in this topic

Love the old Christmas photos! I love seeing all of those old toys, really brings back memories. (Love the Batman jammies too, lol!)

Here's one of my brother and myself on Christmas day in 1976. My mom had found some old comics at a resale shop and wrapped them up for me for Christmas. On top of the stack is a Silver Surfer #18.

xmas.jpg

Love the old Christmas photos! I love seeing all of those old toys, really brings back memories. (Love the Batman jammies too, lol!)

Here's one of my brother and myself on Christmas day in 1976. My mom had found some old comics at a resale shop and wrapped them up for me for Christmas. On top of the stack is a Silver Surfer #18.

xmas.jpg

Great picture! Look at that pile of loot under the tree!

This stuff is so cool. I received Feiffer's GREAT COMIC BOOK HEROES as a First Communion gift. That Christmas, the BATMAN: FROM THE THIRTIES TO THE SEVENTIES book was under my Christmas tree. And I remember getting 100 Page Super Spectaculars as stocking stuffers(one that really sticks out in my mind was a Superman issue with GA Mxyptlzk reprints). Great times!

The toothpaste was no doubt a stocking stuffer.

I remember all of the kids getting a tube of toothpaste and a toothbrush as a Christmas gift in school every year from 1st to 4th grade. I wonder if the nuns were trying to tell us something! hm

And I remember getting 100 Page Super Spectaculars as stocking stuffers(one that really sticks out in my mind was a Superman issue with GA Mxyptlzk reprints). Great times!

Great times indeed. I got comics as stocking stuffers for several years there also. And it was something inexpensive that relatives could get you for christmas also.

Thanks to everyone for all the great comments and additional pictures. Someone picked up on All in Color for a Dime, that was one of the paperbacks but there is another still unidentified paperback in there as well. Hint, it reprinted some fairly recent classic DC issues!

And man, I wish I had a Frozen Gold under the tree, that still remains a grail item for my duck collection. By the way, we need to get MikeGoldi to post an image of his Terror on the River as it is a Western Publishing File Copy with a great cover stamp.

And whoever asked about that electronics kit, it did in fact have the springs sticking out of the board that you would pull back and then insert various wires that would create the circuits. It was a great kit from Radio Shack, and it taught me two things. First, elementary electronics and second, that I had a devil of time understanding transistors and how they work and I shouldn't pursue that for a career!

Yes, toothpaste was a perennial stocking stuffer at our house, looks like everyone else did the same. Times have changed, I just bought the kids LED flashlights for their stockings for $1.50 each. I bet that toothpaste was close to 50 cents back then, about the same money in today's dollars!

Nice thread, loved seeing all the loot. :applause:

My 5 year old has reminded me this year what it really meant to be excited for Christmas to arrive. And how hard it was to wait.

And we are big on stuffing the stocking too. I always got an orange in the bottom of the stocking every year(better then coal I suppose).

I love the Tri-Lab pack. Is it true that you can't buy a chemistry set today due to liability reasons? I had a great Gilbert chemistry set as a kid that was chock full of little bottles of strange things.

My favorite thing to do was to create smoke bombs with Tannic acid and I think you could also mix up some crazy creation that would expand at some crazy rate and spill out of the test tube in alarming fashion. This thing even had a bunsen burner and tongs to hold the test tube over the flame as I recall!

Good times, good times!

As a kid I picked up a used Gilbert set with bunsen burner, tongs, glass vials and all manner of flammable, toxic and hazardous substances. :cloud9:

Unfortunately many of the really good chemicals were used up or in short supply. :sorry:

Thanks to everyone for all the great comments and additional pictures. Someone picked up on All in Color for a Dime, that was one of the paperbacks but there is another still unidentified paperback in there as well. Hint, it reprinted some fairly recent classic DC issues!

And man, I wish I had a Frozen Gold under the tree, that still remains a grail item for my duck collection. By the way, we need to get MikeGoldi to post an image of his Terror on the River as it is a Western Publishing File Copy with a great cover stamp.

And whoever asked about that electronics kit, it did in fact have the springs sticking out of the board that you would pull back and then insert various wires that would create the circuits. It was a great kit from Radio Shack, and it taught me two things. First, elementary electronics and second, that I had a devil of time understanding transistors and how they work and I shouldn't pursue that for a career!

Yes, toothpaste was a perennial stocking stuffer at our house, looks like everyone else did the same. Times have changed, I just bought the kids LED flashlights for their stockings for $1.50 each. I bet that toothpaste was close to 50 cents back then, about the same money in today's dollars!

I think I spy a GL/GA pb there (mentioned already?)...