• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is the 35-cent Variant Tit?

62 posts in this topic

Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2207405251&category=12589

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2207408416&category=12589

Someone should tell Friendly_Andy (the new Scottish 27_laughing.gif) that he's being rooked.

I'll let him know... I have to admit, reality_trip and 4gemworks had to tell me after I laid in a "marker" bid makepoint.gif

I wrote the seller and he told me he knew it wasn't and was also told by others but somebody had already bid, so he couldn't pull the auction....whatever...

Yeah, lots of 35 cent scammers lately. Heck even 30 cent scammers like the guy trying to sell the Skull CGC graded "variant". And then there is that ridiculous Star Wars Variant auction. What the [!@#%^&^] is the reserve on that auction set to? Who is willing to pay these over the moon prices? 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

Who is willing to pay these over the moon prices? 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

The same Star Wars fans who blow $2K on a Jedi working prototype lightsaber 893frustrated.gif or leave their homes and jobs and line up for a movie 4 months in advance of opening night. Guys who probably have to ask/pay women to dress like the Slave Princess Leia before they consider going out with them. They were all showcased in that hilarious "Triumph" video clip that captainsofindustry posted in an earlier thread confused-smiley-013.gif

Who is willing to pay these over the moon prices? 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gifPeople like me 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gifEven though I don't collect variants I do collect in a niche segment of the market. Lately I have been thinking that I have been hitting the bin too early on some of the stuff up for grabs and I cvould save myself some money and lowball at the last moment because nobody else will want it at that price and then this morning I notice that somebody has binned a really sweet piece that I wanted and now I am as irritated as can be.

The lesson is.....when you really want something you have to pay the price. Use it or lose it.

Bugger. sorry.gif

I understand where you are coming from, mushroom. Trust me, as a variant collector I absolutely understand where you are coming from. I just spent a LOT of money on a beat up copy of Xmen 107, just because it has a different number in the price area. Many other comic collectors would probably think me insane for what I paid, but I was willing to pay it. But this auction we are referring to is just crazy. Four variants that are now going for almost $8000 dollars. And the reserve has not even been met yet! These four books sold as a package deal about 4 or 5 months ago for less than a thousand dollars! Granted, they weren't as nice as these books, but these books are not the rarest of the 35 cent variants, and these prices are just so far out of range with other variant prices that it is ridiculous. I understand paying a premium to get the book you have to have, but there has been nothing in the (already insane) 35 cent variant market that has even come close to this. We have seen people paying insane prices for the Star Wars 1 before, but never all four of them! And these books, while rare, are certainly not uncommon to see on ebay. I have seen more Star Wars 35 cent price variants than probably any other title on ebay! Due to their extremely high print runs, these books may be the most common 35 cent variants! But I think it is the fact that these books are rare and they are Star Wars, which brings people with money to burn to the table and begging to spend more. I hope that if someone does bust the reserve that they really want the books, because good luck getting this much money for these books down the road.....

Ok I have a confused-smiley-013.gif question to those in the variant know, and I dont have my price guide to check, but I assume that the MOKF issues JC eluded to are not price variants at all?

On the Star Wars #1 note, its like over $7000.00 now I mean that double what the one in July sold for that we all thought was ludicrous. Is it the same book, there were conflicting reports, though the label is different. I mean this seller, depending on waht he paid can now get a real nice copy of AF 15, this does not make sense to me even with the niche Star Wars and variant collecting forces combining, ouch 7 grand flamed.gif

yup - those mokf's are not price variants..

as for the variatn madness, nothing much makes sense in it even to the collectors tongue.gif I attribute the Star Wars high price to the influx of non comic collector money bidding on it. Actually the bid history is strange as that (0) feedback could just be a shill to find out hwat fevrish is willing to pay...

Guys who probably have to ask/pay women to dress like the Slave Princess Leia before they consider going out with them.

That reminds of a bachelor party I "tried" to line up for a rather conservative friend of mine several years ago. There was a group of 6-8 of us that got together every other month or so for all-night DND fests, and the plan was to hire a stripper to come dressed up as either a barbaress-type character, or a Superheroine (he collected comics too). I called around to several "Entertainers" but none had Red Sonja or Wonder Woman costumes, so we had to settle for the old pizza delivery girl routine. Not that I'm complaining mind you...she was good at her job!!

That reminds of a bachelor party I "tried" to line up for a rather conservative friend of mine several years ago. There was a group of 6-8 of us that got together every other month or so for all-night DND fests, and the plan was to hire a stripper to come dressed up as either a barbaress-type character, or a Superheroine (he collected comics too).
\

Please note for the record, that Banner has/had a friend who collected comics, which is in direct denial of previous statements slamming me for having a few friends who collected comics.

That reminds of a bachelor party I "tried" to line up for a rather conservative friend of mine several years ago. There was a group of 6-8 of us that got together every other month or so for all-night DND fests, and the plan was to hire a stripper to come dressed up as either a barbaress-type character, or a Superheroine (he collected comics too).

Please note for the record, that Banner has/had a friend who collected comics, which is in direct denial of previous statements slamming me for having a few friends who collected comics.

Your logic is wrong yet once again CI - the fact that I have a friend who collects comics in no way contradicts any statements I may or may not have made related to whether or not YOU have friends who collect comics, now does it? (Note to self: be sure to add this post to the CIWOAF "CI Is Wrong Once Again File": end note)

Which reminds me - since there has been a nice pre-Christmas surge in prices for CGC books, perhaps now would be a good time for you to spread some holiday cheer by letting the "techies that you work with who are looking to sell some high-grade late silver/early bronze age Spideys and X-men" know about this board. What were their names again??? gossip.gif

Your logic is wrong yet once again CI - the fact that I have a friend who collects comics in no way contradicts any statements I may or may not have made related to whether or not YOU have friends who collect comics, now does it? (Note to self: be sure to add this post to the CIWOAF "CI Is Wrong Once Again File": end note)

Which reminds me - since there has been a nice pre-Christmas surge in prices for CGC books, perhaps now would be a good time for you to spread some holiday cheer by letting the "techies that you work with who are looking to sell some high-grade late silver/early bronze age Spideys and X-men" know about this board. What were there names again??? gossip.gif)

893scratchchin-thumb.gif