• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pulps - Spicy Western, Docs, and something for the Asimov fan

7 posts in this topic

I'm selling 3 items here of interest to the pulp collector (if there are any of those left these days!).

The price includes shipping and insurance, and I take returns if you're not satisfied with the condition.

PMs welcome, but a :takeit: takes precedence.
Thanks for looking.

First up is Spicy Western -- Vol 1 No 1 -- Nov 1936

$450

Decent copy of the first issue of Spicy Western. Typical Spicy-type coverof woman in torn clothing, this time tied to the back of a horse and aboutto be whipped.

FC is nice but a little frayed around the edges. The BC is roughwith some missing paper and a 1 inch tear up from the bottom.
The last 30 pages or so have slight paper loss on the bottomedge and at the bottom corner (corner looks blunted).
The spineis missing paper on about the bottom 1 inch, and someone haswritten "36" in red on the spine.

Paper is starting to go slightly brown around the edges, but isnot brittle. You can "bend" the book enough to easily read it withoutfeeling like you're going to snap it in two.

sw_1.jpg

sw_2.jpg

sw_3.jpg

One of the interior illustrations. If you've never actually read one of these,they're full of amazing stories (VERY risque for the time) and thesetype of line drawings.

sw_4.jpg

Bound copies of Doc Savage -- six issues from 1937 and 1938.

$350

- Sept 1937 - The Feathered Octopus
- Oct 1937 - Repel
- Nov 1937 - The Sea Angel ("Action Stories - Jujutsu Instructions")
- Dec 1937 - The Golden Peril
- Jan 1938 - The Living Fire Menace
- Feb 1938 - The Mountain Monster

As you would expect with bound copies, the covers are pristine, withvibrant colors, but the entire magazine has been trimmed during theprocess.

The paper is just starting to go brown, but are still supple. Not brittleat all.

I'm not sure where these came from, but I'm fairly sure they are NOT S&S file copies.

doc_1.jpg

doc_2.jpg

doc_3.jpg

Two Amazing Stories pulps, both from 1939:

March 1939 (vol 13, no 3)
May 1939 (vol 13, no 5)

$125 for both

What's so special about these two issues you ask?

The March issue contains the first published work of Isaac Asimov,a story entitled "Marooned off Vesta."

And the May issue contains his second published story, "The Weapontoo Dreadful to Use."

A nice bit of history for the Asimov fan who wants to read the storiesin their original source.

Both books are in nice shape with vibrant colors on the covers.

The March issue has no major problems.

The May issue has a 1/2 inch tear on the right of the FC, somecreasing, and some loss of paper on the lower right of the BC.The BC is split from the spine for about an inch at the bottom.

Paper quality is on both is nice - starting to go a litle brown,but not brittle at all.

The March issue:
asimov_1.jpg
asimov_2.jpg

The May issue:
asimov_3.jpg
asimov_4.jpg

Spines:
asimov_5.jpg

Lower right of May issue:
asimov_6.jpg

Man, if I wasn't already into Filter's sales so deep, I would jump all over that Spicy! Good luck with your sale, Gozer...

@pennynike1... That Detective Book is the last issue of the series, with a Kelly Freas cover... I highly recommend finding one! (Sorry, mine is not for sale :( )