• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rj just got me a cgc 10.0

33 posts in this topic

i have been doing the special ordering with reynold jay from the start and he has got me a lot of the 9.8s i needed,but to my surprise he emailed this morning to let me know the daredevil#236 i had him sumitt came back at cgc 10.0 and i got it for $99.i think he said there are fewer than 10 cgc 10.0s before 1990 and this is the oldest dd 10.0 so far.sorry to keep 893blahblah.gif it just made my day cloud9.gif how many others on the forum do the special orders with him and what are some of your grades he has got you? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is the DD #236 older than the copy of Thor which MH Chuck managed to fleeced off to somebody for $5K? I thought MH Chuck had to put a bid on the book himself in order to get it up to the $5K reserve price.

Strongly doubt if this stunt can be pulled off again unless there is something else special about the DD #236 which makes it unique. I don't think even the speculators are going to gamble that they will be able to find a bigger sucker to offload this book onto and still be able to make a profit at $5K. IMHO

A cgc 10.0 for 99.00 from the 80's? The only comic I remember seeing from that era (actually it was a little later) was an ASM 362 which sold for over $450.00 in ebay last year or two. In any case - good buy. There were two Web of SPiderman comics in ebay last week that sold for a bunch. #2 sold for $345.00 and #100 sold for $256.99. So $99.00 looks pretty good - congratulations. Izzy cloud9.gif

Is the DD #236 older than the copy of Thor which MH Chuck managed to fleeced off to somebody for $5K?

i think this is how rumours and gossip gets started...

MH Chuck donated the Thor to be auctioned with the proceeds going to some comic related legal organization that he is highly supportive of. he wanted the book to sell for at least 5K - so he was actually the high bidder at just over 5K. as such - he bought the book back - effectively donating 5K to the organization.

MH Chuck didn't fleece anyone.

he did go to cgg for a while and still sells some but i think most of his buyers like cgc so he still uses them.rj always said if one he got slabbed for somebody came back at 9.9 or 10.0 they would get the first shot,but i thought if one came back at a 10.0 he would keep it and sell.i know a lot people refer to him like a car salesman or somthing but i do have respect for the guy for keeping his word tongue.gif

i know a lot people refer to him like a car salesman or somthing

No more so than many other dealers, but his methods are rather unique compared to most, which makes him stand out a bit amongst the other used car salesmen out there. And you're right, he's a nice guy and most excellent to chat with.

Is the DD #236 older than the copy of Thor which MH Chuck managed to fleeced off to somebody for $5K?

i think this is how rumours and gossip gets started...

MH Chuck donated the Thor to be auctioned with the proceeds going to some comic related legal organization that he is highly supportive of. he wanted the book to sell for at least 5K - so he was actually the high bidder at just over 5K. as such - he bought the book back - effectively donating 5K to the organization.

MH Chuck didn't fleece anyone.

My impression was that MH Chuck placed a bid of $5K to ensure that his reserve would be met and CBDLF would receive the money. I thought somebody else placed a bid which was either $0.04 or $0.07 higher than $5K and ending up winning the book in the end.

Mile High's Thor #156 Benefit Auction Raises $5,000 for the Fund!

Last Sunday the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund auction of Mile High Comics' Thor #156 closed for a winning bid of $5,000! This is the oldest comic ever discovered in pristine 10.0 condition as graded by the CGC. This comic is the only Silver Age comic to ever receive a 10.0 appraisal, which makes it the oldest 10.0 comic ever discovered.

Mile High owner Chuck Rozanski donated this comic, which is truly one of the crown jewels of collectible comics.

Published in 1968, the Mile High edition of Thor #156 predates the next oldest 10.0 by 14 years. “This is a remarkable find and a great piece of comics history,” Rozanski says. “I was extremely fortunate when this great book came back as the only 10.0 Silver Age comic ever graded by CGC. My first thought when I saw the 10.0 grade was that I wanted to use my good fortune to somehow help the entire world of comics. After much thought, I could see no better way to help the comics world than by donating the book to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund. I hope that others will join me in supporting this organization which is dedicated to protecting the free speech rights of all comics publishers, creators, and fans.”

Last month, Rozanski made headlines for his support of the Fund. After winning the Lee auction, he announced that he’ll be offering up all five seats at the after-signing dinner party to Jim Lee’s fans. One of the seats will be auctioned off on eBay to benefit the Fund.

Rozanski also conducted the Fund’s auction at MidOhioCon, where his considerable auctioneering skills generated over $2,000 for the Fund.

“Chuck has really gone above and beyond in making sure the Fund has the tools it needs to fight the important fight,” Fund Director Charles Brownstein says. “His support has been unwavering for as long as we’ve existed and as we face one of the most crucial cases in our 16 year history, his contributions ensure our ability to see it all the way through.”

Since that Thor #156/Mile High article was written, there has been a CGC 10.0 graded

for 'Kolynos Presents the White Guard' by Whitehall Pharmacal (1949).

Definitely not a mainstream comic, but an older CGC 10.0 nonetheless.

The Thor #156 is now 2nd oldest (1968), with 27, yes 27, copies of

Aurora Comic Scenes (1974) graded CGC 10.0 tied for 3rd oldest.

RJ's Captain Canuck #1 CGC 10.0 is from 1975...

and there is also a Battlestar Galactica #5 CGC 10.0 from 1979.

I assume the article is referring to the Wolverine #1 (Limited Series 1982) CGC 10.0

when it mentions the "next oldest" book being 14 years after Thor #156.

Wolvy #1 is now at least the 30th oldest CGC 10.0,

though it is 3rd oldest amongst CGC 10.0 books for Marvel.

(No DC's are CGC 10.0 until Legion of Superheroes #300 from 1983)

List of CGC 10.0s prior to 1990

i just got rjs newsletter he sends out every week and it says congrats to 2 people for getting CGG 10.0s. i hope to god that was a misprint and mine is a CGC because i do not collect the cggs and have always dealt with cgc and sometimes 3pg.i just emailed him to make sure its cgc.i would be very disapointed if its cgg 893frustrated.gif