• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone here ever met Steve Ditko?

28 posts in this topic

Back in the 80s,Ditko was legendary for his elusiveness,never doing cons or going to bullpen meetings. Few of the Marvel staff was supposed to have ever met him. Fred Hembeck even did a whole book on trying to meet him.

Has this changed? Has anyone here ever met him or seen him at a show? Ditko suposedly once said that if someone wanted to know the real Ditko,they should read Ayn Rands" Atlas Shrugged". Well, I read it and felt like the fall guy in a practical joke. One week and 1200? pages later I had no idea what he meant by that. Anyone?

Back in the 80s,Ditko was legendary for his elusiveness,never doing cons or going to bullpen meetings. Few of the Marvel staff was supposed to have ever met him. Fred Hembeck even did a whole book on trying to meet him.

Has this changed? Has anyone here ever met him or seen him at a show? Ditko suposedly once said that if someone wanted to know the real Ditko,they should read Ayn Rands" Atlas Shrugged". Well, I read it and felt like the fall guy in a practical joke. One week and 1200? pages later I had no idea what he meant by that. Anyone?

Ditko is an Objectivist, and Rand's Atlas Strugged and The Fountainhead* are Objectivist tracts. Basically, a very black & white worldview-- no compromises with evil. "Objectivist" implies there is as much absolute, objective truth to the saying "So & so is morally right" as "The speed of light in a vacuum is a constant." Differences of opinion about morality are not evidence of the subjective nature of morality, but simply evidence of widespread flawed reasoning about morality. The mortal enemy of the Objectivist is the Altruist, who--according to Objectivism-- sacrifices the self for the benefit of the other (Or, sometimes, one who believes the strong or capable should sacrifice themselves for the weak or infirm). For an Objectivist, an Altruist is not merely naive or misguided, but actively evil.

Ditko's original Charlton Question character was an Objectivist. When the Question was morphed into Rorshach in The Watchmen, Alan Moore made sure to have him be an un-reconstructed Objectivist, but used Rorshach's tragic back-story to comment upon and criticize that belief system.

I think Ditko as an Objectivist has a problem with anything that seems to foster a cult of celebrity. It's all about the ideas, not the man.

* Fixed it. Thanks, Pov!

Damn me but I read that whole thread on objectivism etc...

Some guys on here have some serious issues with JC. I guess they stocked heavy on CGC 181's or sumthin. Seemed like a bunch of rabid ankle-biters chasing him around a tree. Im a newbie what do I know, right confused-smiley-013.gif

My borther (consultant at a Big 5) once told me he was taught the following regarding "Business Ethics"

(ordered by level of importance , each higher item superceding all lower items)

Ask these questions:

1. Is it profitable

2. Is it legal

3. Is it ethical

Didn't you know, there are only 10 threads possible on the CGC boards...

1) Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves

2) Strokin' Tokin' the Cigar

3) Crisis

4) Hammer-Time!

5) Why my comics are a better investment than a fully-diversified 401(k)

6) What book/artist/cover started/ended/defined/best-of/worst-of the ___ Age

7) Travels with Lighthouse

8) Vigilante Scammer Canine Patrol

9) Foreplay to Graemlin Wars

10) SMGNAH181T

...so we'd be bound to repeat one.

Eventually. boo.gif

Damn me but I read that whole thread on objectivism etc...

Some guys on here have some serious issues with JC. I guess they stocked heavy on CGC 181's or sumthin. Seemed like a bunch of rabid ankle-biters chasing him around a tree. Im a newbie what do I know, right confused-smiley-013.gif

My borther (consultant at a Big 5) once told me he was taught the following regarding "Business Ethics"

(ordered by level of importance , each higher item superceding all lower items)

Ask these questions:

1. Is it profitable

2. Is it legal

3. Is it ethical

Being a very recent Partner escapee from a big five I can give you the answers to the above questions.

If 1 is yes then skip 2 and 3.

One of the major reasons I bailed.

3) Crisis

4) Hammer-Time!

10) SMGNAH181T

Eventually. boo.gif

what? 893whatthe.gif no hulk 181 threads? foreheadslap.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

3) Crisis

4) Hammer-Time!

10) SMGNAH181T

Eventually. boo.gif

You forgot a big one:

1a) Chicken Little and the Great Market Crash of 2002 2003 2004?

There's a show Sunday at the Hilton on Wake Forest Rd...going??

3) Crisis

4) Hammer-Time!

10) SMGNAH181T

Eventually. boo.gif

what? 893whatthe.gif no hulk 181 threads? foreheadslap.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

I think that's #10, i can't figure it all out,

x x x not another hulk 181 thread is all i can make.

You forgot a big one:

1a) Chicken Little and the Great Market Crash of 2002 2003 2004?

Ah, but that inevitably follows from

There's a show Sunday at the Hilton on Wake Forest Rd...going??

Tempted... probably the best opportunity to nab some semi-sweet DCs to replace those badly-foxed copies recently liberated from my parent's basement in Alabama. I'll have to check with the boss & see what the plan would be for 3 yr old Z Jr.

Ditko is an Objectivist, and Rand's Atlas Strugged and Prometheus Unbound are Objectivist tracts.

Hmmm - I have read much of Rand and enjoyed it but I thought Prometheus Unbound was Shelley? Or did Rand also do one?

That would be the Prometheus Unbound DF foil variant by Rand as opposed to the Graham Crackers Comics Convention sketch cover by Shelley...

Ditko is an Objectivist, and Rand's Atlas Strugged and Prometheus Unbound are Objectivist tracts.

Hmmm - I have read much of Rand and enjoyed it but I thought Prometheus Unbound was Shelley? Or did Rand also do one?

That would be the Prometheus Unbound DF foil variant by Rand as opposed to the Graham Crackers Comics Convention sketch cover by Shelley...

Ahhh! I think I understand now! confused.gif893whatthe.gifinsane.gif