• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

URGENT, HELP NEEDED: Question Regarding CGC Holders !

25 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

Some of you may know me already. My name is Ruben and I'm a comic art collector/dealer but bought a few CGC books on eBay 3 years ago which I decided to sell off on eBay last week.

The situation is this in brief: A guy on eBay offered me $701 for a Hulk #181 CGC 8.0. I listed. I told him I was thinking about it and then he asked if I could send him larger scans of the front and back, and asked me if the case had any cracks or scratches. I e-mailed him the very clear and high quality scans and told him that no, there are no cracks or scratches. After examining the scans, he sent me the money via Paypal and I promptly sent him the book, which he received yesterday and he immediately sent me the following e-mail message....

Hello. I just received this item today and Iʼm very disappointed. I believe the CGC holder has been tampered with. The bottom left post on the case has been broken, and the case appears to have been pried open as some point. There also are two minor cracks on each side of the case, which also leads me to believe the case was tampered. From what I can see, I cannot determine if this was the comic that received the grade 8.0. Also, CGC will not recognize these grade due to the post being broken. Therefore, I want a full refund for this item including the shipping and insurance I paid plus the cost of shipping the item back to you, because I had you specifically about the condition of the case and you replied that it has no cracks or scratches. Please respond immediately or I will start a claim. Thank you.

Also, the scans (see front side) you sent me show the two cracks (dark lines on bottom left and right edges) and the broken bottom left post (it is white instead of clear, like the other three). See for yourself.

My question to you collectors who have handled many CGC books is this: Can you please look at the scans attached and tell me if (judging by these scans) this guy is correct about his complaint ? It seems to me he's out of his mind because the holder looks great to me, and I feel like he's just realized he can't afford the book and is trying to extort a refund from me by claiming the holder has problems with it. But I'd rather get several opinions before I reply to this guy.

This is just a very difficult time for me to have to deal with something like this so any help/advice/opinion you can give me as quickly as possible would be greatly appreciated! If the scans don't appear, PLEASE e-mail me at cbagallery@videotron.ca and I'll send them over immediately!

Thanks in advance to anyone who tries to help!

Best,

Ruben

Comic Book Art Gallery GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=7656&ArtistId=0&Details=1&From=Roomhttp://www.ComicBookArtGalllery.com

No, we are not the same person, and yes, I can afford the comic. Otherwise, I would not have bought it. I did ask the seller if the item had cracks, and he said no. The pics he sent where the ones I posted in my own post. Hard to see the cracks but they are there. Like I said in my post, I will contact CGC to ask for the notes on the comic.

No, we are not the same person, and yes, I can afford the comic. Otherwise, I would not have bought it. I did ask the seller if the item had cracks, and he said no. The pics he sent where the ones I posted in my own post. Hard to see the cracks but they are there. Like I said in my post, I will contact CGC to ask for the notes on the comic.

I am confused. Why will getting the notes on the book matter? For some reason the post on one corner of your slab popped open and or became cracked. The rest of the slab(as I understand it) is intact, as are the comic and label sitting inside the inner well.

Are you really worried that the other posts were popped open by the seller, the label swapped out with a lesser grade 181 comic and the outer clamshell resealed with no visible damage to the welds that seal the label and other posts?

It sounds to me like you bought a very nice 8.0 181 that has a cracked corner post/case.

Reholdering the book is your best and only option if it really bothers you. CGC will still recognize the grade they previously gave it because a cracked corner post will not damage the comic. The only time they will need to regrade the book is if the innerwell shows visible damage that might have affected the comic inside.

My 2c

if the photos sent had cracks on them, then why buy the book? or am i confused. the seller sent a scan of both sides to buyer .the buyer looks and decides to buy book. then the book gets there (after a trip in shipping) with said crack. i myself wouldnt be complaining to seller (which sent me pictures) i would be complaining to the shipping company.

In answer to the original post, certainly take the book back and I would refund at least the initial shipping and insurance. Paypal will force you to do that anyway. (Paypal does not require you to pay for the return shipping. I had a crook sell a CGC variant and then send me the common newsstand issue and I still had to pay to return it and get a refund.) If you feel you should have given a better description, pick up the tab for the return.

If the damage he describes was there and he is just being paranoid, then no further troubles and you can resell the book, even though it was an unnecessary hassle. If the damage he describes is new and happened in shipping, then you can go the insurance claim route.

Of course, don't do anything until you get the book back and ensure it is not tampered with on his end. If so, get ready for a new set of problems.

If I were the buyer of that book, I would be a happy camper.

I see no problem.

I always buy books. Not plastic cases.

Just get a new case is how I see it. Your mileage may vary. ;)

That's kinda where I am on this too...provided the book hasn't been tampered with by either party (and possibly confirmed with CGC)...I'd say :takeit: and move on with life.

My 2 cents in case anyone cares:

The scan provided by the seller does not appear to show the slab damage described / photgraphed by the buyer. It appears to be a legitimate 8.0, without any slab damage.

The scan provided by the seller is sufficiently clear and the book has enough unique noticeable defects (it is an 8.0, and not a 10.0 afterall) such that the buyer should be able to ascertain whether or not this is the same book as shown in the scan from the seller.

If the buyer agrees that it is the same book as shown in the seller's scan, and the book was adequately packaged without any damage to the packaging that might allow for a partial postal insurance claim to cover the cost to reslab the book, then perhaps the buyer could kindly request the seller to provide a partial refund to cover the cost to reslab the book (seller could always ask for a picture of the packaging to confirm that there was not damage in transit). In the past I have done so, and while the seller only provided about $15 to $20 or so, I accepted the partial refund and moved on (with postage and insurance to / from CGC it can cost a bit more than $15 to $20 to reslab, but at least the seller made an effort to make it right, so I just thanked him for the partial refund, and moved on)...

Good luck to buyer and seller in working this out amicably :wishluck:

If I were the buyer of that book, I would be a happy camper.

I see no problem.

I always buy books. Not plastic cases.

Just get a new case is how I see it. Your mileage may vary. ;)

I need to bite my lip until it bleeds after reading this thread. lol

So much to say about slab collectors...so little to gain