• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WERE THE PAC COAST BOOKS SOLD "TOO CHEAP"??!!!!!!!

43 posts in this topic

after being totally floored by capt tripp's recent new additions to the cgc registry and seeing some of those unbeleivable PC books in th ecgc gallery i dug up some old CBM's and found some of the 1st ads for the PC books, formerly known as the OO collection (original owner)

heres a list from CBM 72 oct 1999, page 7 full page ad

i dont have a 1999 overstreet in front of me but WOW! now those prices seem dirt cheap!! and its a testament to roters grading- he was pretty much right in line with cgc- i guess its not to tough grade when each book is consistently near perfect

what also amazes me is that these books have not suffered from handling defects as they passed thru various collectors hands over the last 4 years- they prob have only lived with 1 or at the most 2 collectors

avengers 1 nm++ 98 (3.5) $6000

2 nm+ 96 (3.0) $1250

3nm ++ 98 3.5 $975

4 nm+ 96 3.5 $3000

spidey ann1 nm/m 99 3.3 $1400

2 99 3.0 $600

spidey 16 98 3.0 $850

17 96 $1150

18 96 $740

19 98 $750

20 98 $900

21 98 $625

22 99 $575

23 98 $850

24 98 $500

25 98 $600

26 98 $540

27 98 $625 cgc 9.8

28 98 $1000 cgc 9.6

29 98 $400

30 99 $450

39 98 $525

40 98 $750

50 99 $1100 cgc 9.8 nm/m

ff 11 nm 94 $850

13 vfnm 90 $525

surfer 1 94 $600

4 99 $1000

JUST FASCINATING!!!!!

i think the collection was 1st publically available around june 99, if only roter had hung onto the books with cgc just about to open @the end of 1999

who think he sold em too cheap @ that period in time??

Many of the early ones were sold off cheap and quick. Robert has made sure that will never happen again insane.gif

http://www.pcei.com/

Yeah...too bad the most of the ones he has left are DCs. Could you imagine if CGC was around when the collection was discovered. His website would be an even bigger museum! frown.gif

How on Earth was he to know what CGC would do to the Market?

By studying the other hobbies, specifically cards and coins. That's why I'm so interested in learning what the long-term trends in those hobbies and several other similar ones have been.

By studying the other hobbies, specifically cards and coins. That's why I'm so interested in learning what the long-term trends in those hobbies and several other similar ones have been.

Have you posted on any of the NGC, SGC, PSA, etc.,. boards asking this question? confused-smiley-013.gif

Obviously 3rd-party grading has been around in those hobbies a lot longer than ours, so there should be some people there that can help you out!!

Obviously 3rd-party grading has been around in those hobbies a lot longer than ours, so there should be some people there that can help you out!!

True, but turn that around and imagine the kinds of 'guidance' you'd get on these boards if you came seeking "trend data"...it's going to be all over the board, and much of it is going to be sort of self-serving. Some empirical data, certainly, but so much is subjective opinion and so much of that is conflicting! How would you know which board regulars to listen to?

Do you think there's a JC, and a Bugaboo, and a Greggy, and an FF, etc., of the card and coin boards? I'm sure each has its counterparts to the rogues gallery here 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't think FF wants their opinion on what will happen to the CGC market, he wants to know what actually happened to those markets within the 1st 10 years of 3rd-party grading. I believe there are graded-price guides in the sportscard hobby, so it would be easy to look at the empirical data, without judgement calls.

I guess that's where I misconstrued the point; if it's just historical data that's being sought, a bunch of old price guides should suffice...but maybe those guides are as inaccurate in many areas as the OS Guide?

In sports cards at least, my recollection is of significant consumer confusion once the second, third and etc. slabbing services launched, and the standards for "gem mint" were basically all over the map. That coincided with a glut of 'new issues' from the main card companies, and drove the majority of the sports card market right into the ground... I know I'm over-simplifying here...

Out of the three 3rd party services, graded started first in Coins then ......Cards .................then Comics. Cards have certainly gone through a crash stage. When PSA grading started, I remember I could sell stuff I thought could never get rid of. No way now.

Well.. I guess it proves one thing. Roter can definately grade raw books. Most of those copies turned out 9.6-9.8.

Maybe it's easier to grade stuff that's in that kind of shape. I bought a book from them a few years back that they advertised as VF- and I had it slabbed and it came back a 5.0 (VG/F).