• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WERE THE PAC COAST BOOKS SOLD "TOO CHEAP"??!!!!!!!

43 posts in this topic

Maybe Bronty meant "anybody who's been in the business awhile and isn't just looking to cloud the minds of prospective buyers" confused-smiley-013.gif

I do think it's a stretch to say that anyone can grade 9.6s and 9.8s within .2, given some of the examples we've seen. But I will say that I find myself disagreeing with CGC far less on those ultra-high-grade books... with the main exceptions being GA and early SA. In those 'eras' I still get surprised (confounded? shocked?) by CGC on a fairly regular basis.

Out of the three 3rd party services, graded started first in Coins then ......Cards .................then Comics. Cards have certainly gone through a crash stage. When PSA grading started, I remember I could sell stuff I thought could never get rid of. No way now.

There are at least two eras, though, in all three, coins, cards, and comics.

The first era, of course, is the vintage era. Coins, cards, and comics...

where the items are truly old... relatively scarce... and established collectibles.

I would suspect that the CGC market will follow similar trends as the

professionally graded vintage coins (pre-1900, for example) for Golden Age comics.

Or, CGC might behave more like the market for professionally graded sportcards

from the pre-1970s.

The other era, if you want to call it that, would be "new stuff".

Brand new professionally graded coins, cards, and comics probably all show

signs of a "shelf life" that keeps them hot for a certain period of time,

before they cool off (or become ice cold) since they are too new to be vintage,

and too old to be considered "hot new items".

Sportscards, in particular, are volatile due to the athletes' performance...

when MVP players can become injured the next year,

or a couple months of fantastic play can be just average by season's end.

However you want to look at it...

the CGC market will probably "break" into two parts, should a "crash" occur...

there will likely be "minimal damage", if any, to the prices of vintage books,

and there will likely be "major damage" to the prices of newer books.

If that's the case... late Silver and Bronze may be in the borderline area.

Sounds about like what happened to comics 10 years ago

Have you posted on any of the NGC, SGC, PSA, etc.,. boards asking this question? confused-smiley-013.gif

No, but I've asked one coin guy who wandered over into our area. I've been afraid that posting over in the coin area would generate a ton of replies and debate with specific stuff about coins that would put me to sleep. sleeping.gif If you start a thread like that over here in comics, it'll set the Doomsayers off against the Eternal Optimists, and I'm sure they've got their own equivalent camps over there. cool.gif

I asked a guy here about coins a few months ago here in Comics General, I forget who the coin guy was though, I'll look it up if I remember to, running out of time tonight tho

Sounds about like what happened to comics 10 years ago

Sounds like what happened to comics last summer...

lol. True.

FF, as for the coin market trends, we should try pov. Believe it or not, he's a coin collector 893whatthe.gif Yes, a coinee in our midst. 893frustrated.gif I saw his name on one of the 'most recent posts' in the coin section while I was scrolling down. Sure enough he was there posting about some old cent in serious collector detail! 893whatthe.gif

lol. True.

FF, as for the coin market trends, we should try pov. Believe it or not, he's a coin collector 893whatthe.gif Yes, a coinee in our midst. 893frustrated.gif I saw his name on one of the 'most recent posts' in the coin section while I was scrolling down. Sure enough he was there posting about some old cent in serious collector detail! 893whatthe.gif

I KNEW I would never live this down. I am compiling a Type Set of 20th Century American coins in MS 63 (kind of equiv to a CGC 9.4) or better grade. Very slow going because my comics come first and movie posters second.

However you want to look at it...

I thought we had a thread going here a few months ago on exactly this topic. I thought we ended up with some serious and thoughtful feedback from a long-time coin collector who had live through the various phases of the grading fiasco in the coin market.

Basically, the bottom-line appeared to be quite similar to the above outlook from Valiantman. All of the new or recent common stuff crashed through to the floor with virtually no demand for the coins. Speculators ended up losing their shirts on overpriced coins and left the market as a result. Vintage coins or truly rare collectible coins managed to escaped most of the carnage with only minor price adjustments.

Do any of you remember the thread since I thought it was quite good.

Do any of you remember the thread since I thought it was quite good.

It was a great start to the topic, that's the one I was referring to earlier, but I don't remember when it was or even what keywords to search for! foreheadslap.gif Any market-related keywords I can think of have been used to death and aren't useful in searching... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'll offer a bit of advice, and it's Gold:

The Census will rule in the long-run, especially in the Vintage and Key areas. This happened in coins and sportscards, and will happen in comics. There will be far more losers than winners, but there is still a slim opportunity to play the upcoming trend.

So using this past performance, I'd much rather have a NM 9.4 FF 49 than a 48, and a NM 9.4 Green Lantern/Arrow 76 over a Hulk 181 NM 9.6.

So using this past performance, I'd much rather have a NM 9.4 FF 49 than a 48, and a NM 9.4 Green Lantern/Arrow 76 over a Hulk 181 NM 9.6.

And so too, using this logic which doesn't factor in demand at all.. You would then also take an ASM 441 9.8 over an ASM 1 9.4 because the census shows 441 as "rare". 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Brian

It's hard to realize now, but at the time Robert started selling off the PC Marvels, his asking prices seemed absolutely insane. Just look at a Guide from 1999 and the multiples he was asking for, and then remember that silver (even high grade) was actually in a slump at the time. My guess is some of the bigger collectors had to see the run in person before they started throwing their money at him.

I asked a guy here about coins a few months ago here in Comics General, I forget who the coin guy was though, I'll look it up if I remember to, running out of time tonight tho

The coinee was TomB, who is an extremely well-respected guy on the coinee forum.

I believe this is the thread you guys are looking for.