• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2008/09 GRADING CONTEST : Round 16

191 posts in this topic

Nik deserves HUGE kudos for running these contests so well.

But once in the middle of it, there is an obligation to some degree.

Really? You might not want to peer too deeply into that horse's mouth, he was a gift.

Please read the entire sentence and don't add emphasis to the word(s) you choose.

They're two sentences not one. What word in the second one would you rather I put in bold? Basically, it's Nik's deal. If he wants to take a week off for personal reasons, what does it matter to you what the reason is?

I don't want you to put ANY word in bold. If I had wanted to emphasize one particular point I would have done it myself.

I was referring to the second sentence, which includes such relevant phrases as "once in the middle" and "to some degree".

Volunteering to me means giving freely a service not attaching conditions, at your choosing later, because that implies that when you provided these volunteer services you felt they meant you were owed something in the future.

So I tend to agree with MarvelCollector that punishing the grading game players by playing this card makes no sense if you have an issue with forum management and is a power play motion only from those that feel tenure on these forums have veto power over all.

If they want to do that to the other members of the forum thats fine with me but lets not make them automatic heroes for making that personal decision.

At this point I couldn't care less that the contest goes on now.

The shine is off it now. (shrug)

I don't know if Nik is checking pm's, but I'm out of the contest as well, not because of all this delicious melodrama, but because I won't be around for a while starting next week. Twas fun while it lasted.

I don't know if Nik is checking pm's, but I'm out of the contest as well, not because of all this delicious melodrama, but because I won't be around for a while starting next week. Twas fun while it lasted.

I sent him a PM two nights ago about some stuff and it looks like he has not even logged in.

I kinda want to joke that all these people leaving are giving me far better chances to snap up books in the sales threads. But since I am attending a con at the end of this month, I need to exercise some restraint. Boo.

The grading contest can not be held without controversy. You guys should know this by now. :cloud9:

Nik, you do what you feel is right and I'll support you. :foryou:

Rick, you do what you feel is right and I'll support you too. :foryou:

Greggy, I love you, but :censored: you. I mean that in the nicest way possible. :busy:

This contest was Nik's idea, and Nik (with able assistance) is putting all of the work into making it go. It's up to him if he wants to stop the contest for a week. Not sure how this is "punishing the other participants", since the darn thing will continue when Nik starts it back up again.

Don't know about the rest of you, but I've taken the opportunity afforded by the break to attend Grading College. :devil:

Jeez, it's the holiday season people! It wouldn't have been untoward to have suspended the thing entirely for a week or so. I love the internet - but sometimes I think it's turned grown adults into 8 year olds who check the mailbox every hour to see if their box-top send-away decoder ring has arrived yet.

Jeez, it's the holiday season people! It wouldn't have been untoward to have suspended the thing entirely for a week or so. I love the internet - but sometimes I think it's turned grown adults into 8 year olds who check the mailbox every hour to see if their box-top send-away decoder ring has arrived yet.

:cloud9:

pfring.jpg

This contest was Nik's idea, and Nik (with able assistance) is putting all of the work into making it go. It's up to him if he wants to stop the contest for a week. Not sure how this is "punishing the other participants", since the darn thing will continue when Nik starts it back up again.

Don't know about the rest of you, but I've taken the opportunity afforded by the break to attend Grading College. :devil:

Well-stated Bob! It's amazing, the work and commitment involved on nik's and sckao's end all for EDUCATIONAL FUN! And then for the self-absorbed to come off like it's some sort of entitlement that's been wrested from their grasp...GEEEZ! :insane:(shrug)

:roflmao:

Seriously speaking, Nik is not obligated to do anything, period. I appreciate the fact that I can get a chance to hone my grading skills and learn from the contest. Whatever his decision is, I also support it 100%. (thumbs u

This is Nik's contest, to which he charges nothing. If he was postponing it for any other reason everyone would have no problem with it. Just chill the :censored: out and deal with it. If you want to drop out then do so. Just be sure not to participate in the next one :makepoint: (if Nik ever decides to throw one again after all the hypocritical posts). He's a grown man and made his decision. I applaud his stance, and am totally behind him. If he wanted to stop it in protest of Global Warming then who cares? It's his business :sumo: