• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was the one comic that turned your collection around?

66 posts in this topic

My focus turned after I picked up Incredible Herc at my LCS. Greg Pak has done such an amazing job revamping the character that I had to start owning every Hercules appearance. So now I have probably the best Hercules collection in the world. From later JIMs & SA Avengers to BA Thors & Champions. It's become an obsession but to each his own.

The 'Incredible Hercules' started very recently, didn't it? You've been a busy bee!

Do you have both of his miniseries? Have they explained away the second one yet, where's he's been away from Earth since about 1985?

I pulled out my hair when I found this coverless Action Comic from 1938 in the attic next to my grandfather's stick of butter. Where was the elusive Action #1? :devil:

act2.jpg

Which Action is that? Did you find any other comics?

My focus turned after I picked up Incredible Herc at my LCS. Greg Pak has done such an amazing job revamping the character that I had to start owning every Hercules appearance. So now I have probably the best Hercules collection in the world. From later JIMs & SA Avengers to BA Thors & Champions. It's become an obsession but to each his own.

Did you see the Marvel Premiere CGC 9.8 that Warehouse Auction had for sale? It is the Hercules issue (forget the number - 26?), and I'm not sure it ever sold.

Mine wasn't so much one book, rather one story line...ANNIHILATION. Prior to 2007, I had never read any of the cosmic stuff until I saw the sweet covers from this story arc. I picked up a few and was hooked on the Marvel cosmic world. Now I subscribe to Guardians of the Galaxy, Nova, etc.

I went out and bought a CGC graded FF #48 and now I'm trying to put together a nice collection of early Silver Surfer covers i.e. Sgt. Fury #13 and TTA #93 as well as all of the pre-100 FF's. I've also purchased several high grade copies of the 1st appearances of the key cosmic characters: Drax and Thanos, Nova, Gamora, all of the current Guardians, etc.

Fun stuff...

Did you see the Marvel Premiere CGC 9.8 that Warehouse Auction had for sale? It is the Hercules issue (forget the number - 26?), and I'm not sure it ever sold.

Yes 26. I have a 9.4 that I got from Comiclink for next to nothing, but I would love an upgrade!

The 'Incredible Hercules' started very recently, didn't it? You've been a busy bee!

Do you have both of his miniseries? Have they explained away the second one yet, where's he's been away from Earth since about 1985?

I don't think it counts in the actual Marvel chronology (maybe as a possible/alternate future...) but still a fun read nonetheless and the Skrull tranny was pretty hot :luhv:

For me, it was Rulah #17(1). Before seeing that book, I was collecting first appearance hero books from the SA and BA. After seeing Rulah #17(1) in Heritage's auction catalogue in 2006, I completely shifted my focus of collecting Golden Age. It also opened my eyes to the wonder of Pedigree books (paying premiums for Mile High's had never occurred to me until then).

Rulah #17(1), along with Davis Crippen "D Copy" collection, inspired my nearly complete takeover of the high grade GA GGA market...

For me, the turning point was acquiring my Batman 1. Once I had this book in hand I knew I could finish the entire run. Given what has happened with prices lately, I don't think I could repeat the effort again.

batman1.jpg

When did you pick this up? Needless to say, I'm really very in awe of it. BTW thread over.

:jokealert:

Don't think anyone can trump that! Nice book and I am curious when you got it too. A few people at my LCS had a discussion about how lucky collectors where only two decades ago. That prices were cheaper and it was easier to amast a great collection than it is now. Share your story, please.

I bought it in 1999. It was auctioned on Ebay several times with no takers until I bought it off CLINK. The price was just over $6k. I actually bought all but about 20 of my Batman's before year 2000. I did take a run at the Detectives, but that is an impossible run to finish at the current prices. I also feel sorry for anyone trying to put together a decent mid-grade run of just about any long running title. And forget about a high grade run. That said, I admire people that pursue completing runs.

Thanks for posting back. Do you have full the Batman title now?

Now what if we changed this over to "the one that got away." I bet there are some extremely interesting stories from that perspective. Unless it may be too painful for some, which I get that as well.

You okay with that nocutename? It's your topic, so I don't want to hijake it. There's already a chat going on like that about the fellow that may have crashed the boards, and I want no part of that heat.

I don't care. It's a message board for people to discuss the hobby. It's all good.

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories. They were fun to read.

For me, the turning point was acquiring my Batman 1. Once I had this book in hand I knew I could finish the entire run. Given what has happened with prices lately, I don't think I could repeat the effort again.

batman1.jpg

When did you pick this up? Needless to say, I'm really very in awe of it. BTW thread over.

:jokealert:

Don't think anyone can trump that! Nice book and I am curious when you got it too. A few people at my LCS had a discussion about how lucky collectors where only two decades ago. That prices were cheaper and it was easier to amast a great collection than it is now. Share your story, please.

I bought it in 1999. It was auctioned on Ebay several times with no takers until I bought it off CLINK. The price was just over $6k. I actually bought all but about 20 of my Batman's before year 2000. I did take a run at the Detectives, but that is an impossible run to finish at the current prices. I also feel sorry for anyone trying to put together a decent mid-grade run of just about any long running title. And forget about a high grade run. That said, I admire people that pursue completing runs.

Thanks for posting back. Do you have full the Batman title now?

Yes, finished it in 2002, right before my son was born. I was upgrading copies and still have a few more I would like to upgrade, but I am patient and can wait for the right book to come along.

Yes 26. I have a 9.4 that I got from Comiclink for next to nothing, but I would love an upgrade!

I'll PM the reseller information to you so you can feel out if he still has the book.

I recently got two books that have changed my thoughts about what I am going to collect. I was curious if anyone else has a similar experience. I am home sick today, bored and I love reading stories about other collections so share.

Here's my rant:

The first book is a World Finest 258 Dollar issue format comic. I purchased it just because I liked the seller's previous sales threads and I wanted to participate in his current sales thread. I have all the Detective and Batman family dollar comics and liked the format, so I was not a major decision to get it. After reading WF, I have decided to start collecting all DC dollar comics.

The second book, which I just go in today, is Batman 181. It's the first appearance of Poison Ivy. I started this year to collect as many PI appearances as I could get my hands on. I never thought that I would be able to find her first appearance in a condition that I could afford. Thank you, TheAvenger80 for the sweet book. (Thanks to another board member, agoodventure, for answering my WTB post on her appearance in WW trades). There are a few other characters that I am trying to collect all their appearances as well. This gives me hopes that I will be able find other older books. Now I should add a signature to my profile.

:bump:

To recognize better thread days. I thought this was a great question.

x-force-comic-600x459.jpg

because that`s when I realized it wasn`t about telling great stories to entertain the reader anymore, instead it became for the most part all about the companies trying to make manufactured collectibles for profit. :(

Bag that shiny new collectors item classic number 1!

:gossip:

This will pay for your retirement and college education! lol

As a kid, I read a copy of X-Men 58 while on holiday in 1974, and this was the first time I really took notice of the talent of the artist, Neal Adams. It always reminds me of when I started becoming more and more interested in collecting comics off the newsstand.

I bought a fantastic-looking slabbed copy on the boards a few years ago, which impressed me so much that I started buying back issues again after a break of near enough 10 years, and as I bought more and more my purchases of new comics declined and eventually stopped altogether.

Quite pivotal.

I have the ASM in 9.8 White. One day if the opportunity presents itself I would like to get the WOS in the same grade if not higher.

First Spider-man comic I ever owned.

Web_of_Spider-Man_Vol_1_26.jpg

First Amazing Spider-man comic I ever bought.

detail.jpg

I have the ASM in 9.8 White. One day if the opportunity presents itself I would like to get the WOS in the same grade if not higher.

First Spider-man comic I ever owned.

Web_of_Spider-Man_Vol_1_26.jpg

First Amazing Spider-man comic I ever bought.

detail.jpg

How old are you Buzzetta? You don't seem that much older then me. I got in to Spidey shortly after these issues.

And I love those old Web of issues. They are fun books.