• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2008 "surprises"

7 posts in this topic

Ever go back and forth about buying a book, finally pull the trigger and regret it right afterwards? Ever get the book and realize that not only did you make the right decision, but that it's now one of your favorites? This happened to me twice in 2008. I bought my a slabbed National 5 on eBay because I had money burning a hold in my pocket and cursed myself right afterwards. I got it, realized that it looked fantastic for the grade, and now I love it. Shortly after, I bought another National, the Cosmic Aeroplane copy of 13 this time, cursed myself for a fool right afterwards again, and now I love that one too. In both cases, the fantastic condition of the book, wonderful oversized golden age comic format, and great cover art turned me around once they were in-hand.

Anyone else buy books this year that they weren't sure they would like, but now love? What changed your mind?

national13.jpg

national5.jpg

GREAT looking #5 CA copy, Oct!!!

No real surprises on the positive side, but at least there were only minimal bad surprises.

This is the year that I finally learned to return any purchases that I am IN THE LEAST not happy with!! Took me a few years to catch on to that.

This is the year that I finally learned to return any purchases that I am IN THE LEAST not happy with!! Took me a few years to catch on to that.

Hmmm, I suspect that might be the most useful thing I have read in 2009. Do you apply this rule to eBay - or do you not play there? I bought a couple of GA comics there and did all of the due diligence I could. Read the guy's feedback, checked out the purchase history of his customers to make sure they were at least semi-serious collectors etc etc. My 'VF+' and 'VF-' turned up yesterday. 6.5 (maybe, after pressing) and 5.0 meh

Hmmm, I suspect that might be the most useful thing I have read in 2009. Do you apply this rule to eBay - or do you not play there? I bought a couple of GA comics there and did all of the due diligence I could. Read the guy's feedback, checked out the purchase history of his customers to make sure they were at least semi-serious collectors etc etc. My 'VF+' and 'VF-' turned up yesterday. 6.5 (maybe, after pressing) and 5.0 meh

I apply it to everything ... ebay, dealers, trades, etc. Trust me, I learned this from other collectors, and it is the best advice I have ever been given (in terms of collecting!)

I apply it to everything ... ebay, dealers, trades, etc. Trust me, I learned this from other collectors, and it is the best advice I have ever been given (in terms of collecting!)

Duly noted. Given that my 2008 was marked by about a 30-40% disappointment rate, I had already resolved to be much more selective. Your advice will be added to that resolve. (Mind you, I got the occasional pleasnt surprise, two of which cancelled out most of the disappointments in terms of $ at least.) All the best for the new year!