• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TALES OF SUSPENSE # 85 stat cover on eBay

41 posts in this topic

We discussed this one last year.

It was on Mike Burkey's site with an asking price of $6,000.

Some of us thought that was excessive, but Mike shifted the art.

Now the cover's appeared on eBay:

http://qurls.com?i=46301

After eliminating the logo and image stats, here's the only original art present:

j9bujq.jpg

And as a quick reminder . . . I've nothing against stats or people who collect them.

Just thought the original asking price was over-ambitious. :o

Will be interesting to see how this one fares . . . hm

This piece should have been sold as a companion piece to the original cover...something feels wrong about this piece being sold for 6k... Just say NO to bidding on this please!

At this time of writing, bidding is at $2,200 - with reserve met.

Personally, I thought it sad that the stat cover wasn't included with the original art cover (Mike had both, but sold separately).

This piece should have been sold as a companion piece to the original cover...something feels wrong about this piece being sold for 6k... Just say NO to bidding on this please!

Personally, I thought it sad that the stat cover wasn't included with the original art cover (Mike had both, but sold separately).

He obviously felt he could make more money. I just wonder how close the final sales price was to 6k.

He obviously felt he could make more money. I just wonder how close the final sales price was to 6k.

Depends if Mike owned the art outright (to sell), or it was on consignment to him (and he was following instructions).

Either way, I agree that the two covers were split-up to make more money (as you point out).

Personally, I'm inclined to believe the art sold (through Mike) for less than full asking price (might even have included trade in the deal), as the reserve on this eBay auction has been a lot lower than the original $6,000 price-tag. hm

As other poster have highlighted, the description on the auction is not as detailed as it should be. I suspect, on this basis, the stat cover could perform well. (shrug)

I only hope the eventual buyer knows what he's getting for his money.

Caveat emptor . . ?

There are plenty of possible scenarios here, all speculation:

Burkey had the art on consignment, seller is consignor

Burkey traded the art to someone for 'equal value', but the fella that received the stat cover only had $50 into his 'traded $6000 value', so selling this on ebay for any price is a profit.

Burkey sold the art at a deep discount

Seller is in a cash crunch and will take what he can get to make a mortgage payment or whatnot

It's human nature to be curious, but without asking the seller we'll just never know.

After eliminating the logo and image stats, here's the only original art present:

j9bujq.jpg

And as a quick reminder . . . I've nothing against stats or people who collect them.

Even at current bidding levels, unless the winning bidder has seen this graphic (which seems to be accurate), there may be some surprise when the package comes and the point where the stat ends and the "original" art begins are clearer.

Also, not having looked at the auction, or this piece before it was put up for auction, but are there any representations as to who the artist is of the "original" art? Is it Colan for sure? Or a staff artist? Does anyone know?

Just curious.

- A

With all due respect

I think the auction description is clear enough

I dont know if its appropriate to meddle in anothers auction

jmho

I haven't seen any meddling. I've seen discussion about it and some speculations regarding it, but that's all. Has someone contacted the seller, telling them they think he misrepresented the piece? Did someone tell them they were swindling the buyer, or report them to eBay? If not, then I don't see any "meddling" with the auction. Just some people talking about it.

With all due respect

jmho

I think the auction is BARELY clear. All we are doing is discussing it so anyone here can make a more INFORMED bid. That is all. No meddling.

With all due respect

jmho

No meddling going on here, only discussion.

That's what this forum is all about, as per the description you read everytime you click onto the ORIGINAL COMIC ART section:

A forum to discuss original art by comic artists.

As most people here buy art, it's only natural that we take an interest in the activities of vendors, and how their offerings perform, no? (shrug)

j9bujq.jpg

Also, not having looked at the auction, or this piece before it was put up for auction, but are there any representations as to who the artist is of the "original" art? Is it Colan for sure? Or a staff artist? Does anyone know?

Just curious.

- A

Last time we discussed this, didn't Richie Halegua (who once owned both covers) opine that the extentions on the stat cover were likely to be the work of a staff artist?

As such, it would be difficult to claim, with any certainty, that Colan did the art corrections.