• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TALES OF SUSPENSE # 85 stat cover on eBay

41 posts in this topic

Meddling or not, whoever buys this piece is going to do a double take and then puke after getting this in the mail. The description should be quite a bit more clear. This piece is no better than any of the foreign Marvel covers a seller was auctioning a few months ago. Those were stated published covers, also with minimal art extensions. What did they fetch? 20-200 ea?

The seller could be intentionally trying to deceive to get a good price out of this...or he could be honest as american pie...but either way, he shouldn't be taking any kind of chances and putting a vague description out there.

"Silver age art is very rare," and "logos and word balloons are original stats" and "has date stamps" and "published cover" are all true statements. "Center is a stat" is the only valid description he put in there that is worth anything to a bidder, but he didn't say what area the stat covers or that this was made from the actual original art, cropped and extended.

If the pic Mister Trent provided was included in the auction, what do you think this piece would fetch? $100, $200?

Meddling or not, whoever buys this piece is going to do a double take and then puke after getting this in the mail. The description should be quite a bit more clear. This piece is no better than any of the foreign Marvel covers a seller was auctioning a few months ago. Those were stated published covers, also with minimal art extensions. What did they fetch? 20-200 ea?

The seller could be intentionally trying to deceive to get a good price out of this...or he could be honest as american pie...but either way, he shouldn't be taking any kind of chances and putting a vague description out there.

"Silver age art is very rare," and "logos and word balloons are original stats" and "has date stamps" and "published cover" are all true statements. "Center is a stat" is the only valid description he put in there that is worth anything to a bidder, but he didn't say what area the stat covers or that this was made from the actual original art, cropped and extended.

If the pic Mister Trent provided was included in the auction, what do you think this piece would fetch? $100, $200?

The desirability of this piece is hurt by the fact that Colan's original artwork (from which the stat for this published cover was taken) exists and is in the collection of a dealer/collector (do a search on CAF).

As a 'Large Art' cover (even if mostly stat), this published cover would look good as a display piece (if the buyer can live with the fact that the original art exists separately) and does have its own 'history' (as serving as the basis for the printed comic-book).

Although the original $6,000 price-tag struck me as being unrealistic, I would consider this piece worth more than the $100 - 200 you suggest. I'd add a zero to those figures.

These are excellent observations.

In my opinion, when dealing with a situation like this, the most appropriate way to go about it was exemplified by an auction Will Meuginot posted awhile ago in which he went into painstaking detail about what was stat and what was original art, who the original artist was, etc. In my opinion, if I had a piece which required it and I was selling it at auction, I would go into that level of detail, because that is what I would expect as a buyer.

Again, these are just one person's observations. The ultimate negotiations are between the buyer and the seller.

Regards.

-A

I agree with Mister Trent's observation above that this "cover" would look good as a display piece. However with that amount that is art and the amount which is stat...a photo copy would do the same job or even one of those acetates that are being flooded on ebay.

Sold for $2,650.

Considerably less than the $6,000 price tag of last year . . . hm

Still too high IMO but it could have been worse

Slightly higher than I condidered it worth ($1,500 - 2,000), but more realistic than its previous asking price.

I totally agree with Mr Trent that the seller should have included a much better picture & been much more specific about what this piece really is.

It falls under one of those "well he isn't lying, but he isn't being forthright" issues to me.

The seller should certainly have disclosed the exact state of this piece and the fact that he only put a small photo also does not speak well of what I percieve to be his intentions

that said, I'll never understand why Mike didn't keep it with the art.

I sold the "duo" about 20+ years ago myself and seeing as they maintained the marriage for some 40 years, it's sad to see themj get divorced

how many of you are gonna meddle further by contacting the potential buyer

leave it alone fellas

i thought the auction description was very clear

Good for you, you thought it was clear. It wasn't clear! Period. When I read 'the center' I take it to mean the center, like maybe his head or something. There is the possibility that someone was 'ripped' off here as pretty much the whole cover is stat, so why on earth would you be defending this practice unless you had a pony in the race so to speak. The description should have been much more specific and there should have been a bigger photo or photos. Keeping someone informed and/or from being ripped off is not meddling. Good Lord, just when I'd thought I'd heard it all in this hobby, here comes a newbie new one... Jeesh!

leave it alone fellas

unless you had a pony in the race so to speak.

I have no dog in this fight or pony in this race

I do however have a clear sense of right and wrong

and you (and everybody else) in my opinon ....

are simply wrong

leave it alone fellas

are simply wrong

Dude, you really need to back up off of this. No one has done a thing wrong here (except maybe the seller for not being more clear in their eBay listing). No one has contacted the buyer, or have reported the seller to eBay, or anything even close. All people have done is specualte and talk about this. Which, despite YOUR "opinion," isn't wrong.

If the seller's description was clear enough for you, that's great. You opinion is noted. It seems, however, that the majority feel it was not and have decided to talk about it. You need to quit "meddling" in the right of others to discuss this here. It isn't illegal or 'wrong" to do so. If you don't want to talk about it, then fine. Stay out of the topic. But you have no right to tell others what they can and can't do, or how "wrong" they are to do it. You aren't the "morality police." (tsk)

leave it alone fellas

are simply wrong

You need to quit "meddling" in the right of others to discuss this here. It isn't illegal or 'wrong" to do so. If you don't want to talk about it, then fine. Stay out of the topic. But you have no right to tell others what they can and can't do, or how "wrong" they are to do it. You aren't the "morality police." (tsk)

I am entitled to my opinion - And you guys ARE meddling in another persons auction for an auction description that in MY OPINION is clear enough

That is my opinion and I am entitled to it

I am entitled to point out my feelings to the board

You are entitled to disagree with me

And I in turn am entitled to disagree with your disagreement of me

Now go back to your meddiling if you so desire

PS - I am not the seller of this piece

leave it alone fellas

are simply wrong

You need to quit "meddling" in the right of others to discuss this here. It isn't illegal or 'wrong" to do so. If you don't want to talk about it, then fine. Stay out of the topic. But you have no right to tell others what they can and can't do, or how "wrong" they are to do it. You aren't the "morality police." (tsk)

I am entitled to my opinion - And you guys ARE meddling in another persons auction for an auction description that in MY OPINION is clear enough

Your "opinion" on the auction's decription is NOT fact. But that is how you present it, with you declarations of others being "meddlers" and "wrong." And you haven't the right to do that. Your opinion isn't fact, no matter how much you want to believe otherwise. And I never said you were the seller. I, personally, don't care if you are or not.

No one has "meddled" in the acution. Meddling implys actions being taken. But they haven't. The auction went through without any problems. All that has happened here is people talking about it. Just because you disagree with the discussion doesn't make it meddling. And it doesn't make it "wrong", either.

You can have your opinion, but once you said it was clear enough for you, you were done. There was nothing more to say. Your continuing to harrass those here who are discussing it, without taking any actions against the buyer or seller, mind you, is the only "wrong" being done here and that is by YOU.

You need to stop this, before you get reported to the forum administration. Harrassment of this kind is not acceptable.

leave it alone fellas

are simply wrong

You need to stop this, before you get reported to the forum administration. Harrassment of this kind is not acceptable.

Harassment ? ? ? Puh-leaze

Your the one acting like a Nazi

I have to agree with Dan (Westform) on this one. In no way was the auction description clear. It was vague at best. The seller noted that the center is a stat. That constitutes disclosure, but not FULL disclosure. 10% stat work is a lot different than 90% stat work. As I said before, the person that bought this might not be very happy when they get this in the mail when they find out how much "art" that they bought. I only hope that the buyer wasn't a newbie that gets totally turned off on the hobby because of this auction.

Further, I find it odd that an individual on the board thinks the description was clear...I'm figuring that the seller was hoping someone would feel this way and bid, bid, bid.

Seriously, I hope I never see an auction like this...I wouldn't wish this piece on my worst enemies/adversaries in the hobby!

The seller noted that the center is a stat. That constitutes disclosure, but not FULL disclosure. 10% stat work is a lot different than 90% stat work. As I said before, the person that bought this might not be very happy when they get this in the mail when they find out how much "art" that they bought. I only hope that the buyer wasn't a newbie that gets totally turned off on the hobby because of this auction.

Yeah, I think that the price might have turned out a bit different, if the seller had stated the stat was in the center and 90% of the image.

I also hope that the buyer knows what they are getting and isn't disappointed at what they get. Just another example of how you have to be so very careful in this hobby.

leave it alone fellas

To be totally honest . . .

I COULDN'T GIVE A FLYING ABOUT YOUR WORTHLESS OPINIONS, YOU SAD, PATHETIC LOSER! lol

IF YOU WANT TO DO SOMETHING USEFUL, GO PLAY IN TRAFFIC! :wishluck:lol lol

P.S. Use of capital letters was not an unintentional slip of the caps lock.

P.P.S. Use of emboldened capital letters was not a typing error, either.