• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Computer Geek Seeks Computer Advice - PDA Internet

5 posts in this topic

Having gone through years of printing out want lists, updating them on site, then adding my acquisitions to a spreadsheet, I am now thinking about getting a PDA I can load my Excel sheets into and bring with me to shows etc.

That is easy. What I am really intriqued in is also how well the Internet access works on these PDAs. I am not gonna go with Palm OS but with Windows.

So, has anyone been using an internet-connected PDA? If so, have you hit ebay and how does it look? Any tips etc?

I see thousands of replies to this! grin.gif

PS - thanks in advance!

Oh - also - anyone find any cool comic related software to run on these things?

::edited for last question::

I bought a Palm, but it was just so I could learn how to meet the request of all the executives who had a real need for them. I have yet to find a personal use for it other than goofing off with a few games.

One of my technicians bought a Windows unit with a wireless network card. I went out to lunch one day with him and we drove around hitting people with open wireless networks. He would usually pick a restaurant close by so he could surf while he ate.

I thought the Windows was much better. You had to download the pages to the PDA with either if you didn't have a wireless connection and read them later. Some pages have a separate link that is designed for PDA viewing. You can still view regular pages, but there is a lot of scrolling to be done. I have no clue about Ebay.

Only software I can recommend is Acrobat Reader for PDAs. You can save Acrobat files to your PDA and it converts them for the PDA screens. I used this more than anything (other than the games).

I purchased a state of the art Samsun PDA. Does everything, however surfing the internet wireless is very slow. Getting the main screen of ebay is easy. Finding everything else is real slow. It synchs with my main computer so thats good but trying to bid or looking up items on a wireless PDA is quite a real pain. Its great as a phone, camera,and txt message and okay for checking web sites but so far I would not recommend it for ebay. If more developes I will let you know but so far its pretty slow.