• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opening a Comic Store : Thoughts & Opinions

141 posts in this topic

Maybe the writer of the essay was hiddenly making a joke, and wanted to see how many readers would write in to point this out? Why, that's too Jokerish and diabolical. He got you HQ!

Whoooaaahhhhaaaaa!

To whom would you be refering?....Worst thread EVER!

Exactly! That's the fellow right there!

Why is this the worst thread ever? He actually is asking a great question, and those that either have run a business, worked in the industry, or researched the topic are just trying to help out. Was something wrongly posted that was off-topic?

Maybe the writer of the essay was hiddenly making a joke, and wanted to see how many readers would write in to point this out? Why, that's too Jokerish and diabolical. He got you HQ!

Whoooaaahhhhaaaaa!

XPPPPP

"I'm always fawllin' fa Mistah Jay's crahcks!! :D"

It's been beaten into my brains by reading too much. I can't even read my peers' essays when they contain too much of it. I correct My Boy whenever he does it too =X

Whoooaaahhhhaaaaa!

XPPPPP

"I'm always fawllin' fa Mistah Jay's crahcks!! :D"

It's been beaten into my brains by reading too much. I can't even read my peers' essays when they contain too much of it. I correct My Boy whenever he does it too =X

lol I should have never traded off those Harley early appearances. What a zany but fun character!!

If you open the store, just don't act like this (Simon Pegg from the Brit TV series "Spaced"):

(He's talking about Star Wars, BTW.)

A fantastic actor! "Run Fatboy Run" was too funny. Thanks for the laugh (and the flashback to being 7 and going into one of those stores).

Howdy from Dallas, TX everyone! I hope your New Years is off to a great start.

When I was a kid collecting comic books in the 70s and 80s, I thought that owning a comic book store must have been a little slice of heaven. Imagine doing something that is more than a hobby - and having fun doing it. Time marches on, bills come in and life intrudes relegating this to just a fantasy, or to nostalgically smile about as you lean back in your desk chair at "your real job." I chose the corporate track and have been successful in my endeavors so far.

Some events in my life are now changing, and there is a window of opportunity in the next couple of years to fulfil a fantasy of mine: owning and operating a store as my sole occupation.

There appears to be consolidation in the store ranks over the last decade or so. I would image the stereotypical "raggety little comic shops" are the first to go (but I'm not *assuming* that). I know there are certainly risks involved : cash flow and growing collector base being perhaps some of the primes.

My initial want is to open a nicely located shop (wary of high rents, but in a nice area with visibility and traffic). I don't want to fall vicitim of many a store I have ran into over my life of the run-down strip centers or similar locales. Professional, warm, inviting store. It would have a wide arrangement of new issues - and a unique display showcasing them (patent pending...:-) A "wall of wow" - tastefully and professionally done - highlighting many of the dream books and such. A nice, large graphic novel area. Of course, all the typical archival stuff (mylars, bags, boxes) available. The first store (hopefully of several) would be located in California, north of San Francisco. I'll keep the exact location quiet for now..... ;-)

But I would also diversify so it would likely have a large manga contingen, sculptures, videos, busts, action figures, sculptures.

Next, lets not forget about out gaming friends. Have a large-scale game zone (similiar in concept to GameStop, but with friendly, fun people helping everyone). I would stock all the games, along with items going back to Atari 2600s. Try-any-game to play in the store first with trade-in allowances of course.

Set the place up with an area or two with couches, flatscreens and such. Room to hang out. Some hardwood floors/replica to break things up.

Weekly or monthly events highlight gaming marathons, comic book cons, etc. Just a fun place where kids - and the adults - could hang out and get their fix. From casual collectors to the more well-healed clients.

So, with all that said, what would YOU like to see in a store? What is missing from today's comic book meccas? What would you like to see? What bugs you about existing stores? I would greatly appreciate all your feedback.

Thank you kindly in advance!

Eggman.

The costs of the construction you outline along with signage and fixtures will be astronomical. Your inventory costs (I assume you're starting from scratch) will be enormous, and the area you're targeting has some of the most expensive real estate in the country and correspondingly high rents.

Frankly, this business plan is what you called it - a fantasy. Your cash flow needs will be so huge that I could not imagine in a million years that you could turn a profit (even working it yourself and not paying yourself a salary).

Couches and flat screens? You do realize that the rent per square foot for the couches and TV's is the same as the space where you're selling goods, don't you?

The reason that most comic-book stores are in low-rent, out-of-the-way areas with old fixtures is that this is the only way they can afford to stay in business. And here's the main reason: The margins are too low on the new stuff that you will sell.

It is possible to make a living with one comic book store. But you would probably need to buy an existing profitable store. I can't see how a new store could make it today. In Chicago I'm not aware of any new stores having opened in the past few years.

dAMNN, and here I was just going to tell him to cut his own throat and

be done with it. I've been out of my store for 13 years now, and still have

the bug to open another. BUT, I'm one retail store and 13 years wiser.

If you're still interested, I know where you can get plenty of junk cheap stock.

I'm assuming from this statement that one is current and one went under, and that the current one is not doing so well. I will also state that many business' are not doing well these days.

Oh, and moonlite. It is "kentuck". Not kain anything. At least not in Casey County, Harland County, Hazard, or any of the counties my family are in and from.

P.S. Moonlite, are you associated with Comic Book World? If so, I could give you some pointers about your business model, from a buyers view. If you care.

Well as usual, you are wrong.

One is current but the "not doing so well" is NOT correct. I pay for my inventory, bills, and whatever else I need but its not intended for a living, its something I enjoy... and the other store my wife and I made a difficult decision to sell when we decided to move back to Kentucky to be close to her mother so that my kids would have a chance to know their grandmother before she passed away. feel better now?

At least two boardmembers know the current owner of that store. And I would have never sold it had we still lived there.

Glad you could edumacate me on spellings, I just put something cute there instead of USA or Somebody's basement. Oh by the way, I was born at Ft. Knox and the inlaws are from Hazard area so they may've done sum killin of you and yourn.

I am not associated with CBW of either NKY or Louisville. I know of them, the owner(s) have been around a looooong time and used to be friends with a good former customer of mine who passed away recently. As I mentioned, business models depend on what your intentions are. If you are to try and make a lot of money, then you need to be focused on that. If you have a store that is a hobby (frowned on by IRS by the way) but lets say more casually owned and operated with an air of fun, then you likely do things differently.

I am sure James Welborn (recently started a store and came here for advice a while back) can certainly entertain you with his recent throes of store opening pangs. That is the thread I am sure someone was talking about earlier.

Once you get to be a store or possibly even provisionally, the original thread starter would want to join the comic book industry alliance forums. Its a message board for LCS owners, publishers, artists, writers and others in the industry. One learns alot of information there but you have to prove you are in the industry to join. Some large shops and chain owners there can provide you outstanding advice.

Once you get to be a store or possibly even provisionally, the original thread starter would want to join the comic book industry alliance forums. Its a message board for LCS owners, publishers, artists, writers and others in the industry. One learns alot of information there but you have to prove you are in the industry to join. Some large shops and chain owners there can provide you outstanding advice.

Moonlite, THANK YOU! Not that I am going into the business, but rather I was trying to remember an association that works with the Small Business Administration to advise new store owners how to avoid pitfalls and apply best practices. As soon as you talked about the comic book industry alliance, it hit me. SCORE is the name of the group, as they will try to provide details on inventory management, store financing and credit management, and even regional programs to assist in marketing your early business.

Like many other industries, glad to hear the comic store owners also have an association they can go to for guidance and case studies.

Why is this the worst thread ever? He actually is asking a great question, and those that either have run a business, worked in the industry, or researched the topic are just trying to help out. Was something wrongly posted that was off-topic?

If you've ever watched the Simpson's you'd know that "Worst (insert topic) ever!" is the Comic Store guy's tag line.....says it all the time. :makepoint:

If you've ever watched the Simpson's you'd know that "Worst (insert topic) ever!" is the Comic Store guy's tag line.....says it all the time. :makepoint:

Ouch! Thanks for the education beat into the head. Been a long time since I saw that show. Age catches up with you after awhile.

Ouch! Thanks for the education beat into the head. Been a long time since I saw that show. Age catches up with you after awhile.

:foryou:

Everyone is losing sight of the issue here. Eggman outlined a business plan (albeit a back of the envelope one). This particular plan has no chance of being successful.

Now, can he open a store that could work? - sure, but it wouldn't look anything like this.

Moondog, I appreciate your point but I think we didn't get too far off-subject.

I think some of us are saying it is okay to start with a draft business plan. Then go out and engage with this comic association, engage with the SBA to attend some of their pre-ownership events with members from SCORE. Maybe even take a few dollars and start to travel around to check out the competition, and see for yourself what appears to make sense and what doesn't.

THEN come back to your business plan, reassess and adjust where needed. Otherwise, it's just another comic store on its way to closure, and I myself would hate to see that happen.

That a better summary of some approaches to consider?

Moondog, I appreciate your point but I think we didn't get too far off-subject.

I think some of us are saying it is okay to start with a draft business plan. Then go out and engage with this comic association, engage with the SBA to attend some of their pre-ownership events with members from SCORE. Maybe even take a few dollars and start to travel around to check out the competition, and see for yourself what appears to make sense and what doesn't.

THEN come back to your business plan, reassess and adjust where needed. Otherwise, it's just another comic store on its way to closure, and I myself would hate to see that happen.

That a better summary of some approaches to consider?

I agree that that all makes sense, but remember this plan was his "fantasy". Every little thing he changes/downsizes takes a little more luster off it.

Moonlite, your statement was:

"I own a LCS and have owned 2 different ones, for a total of 13 years. I wouldn't say they are highly successful but I don't choose the high traffic locations nor do I do it full-time for a living."

My statement was:

"I'm assuming from this statement that one is current and one went under, and that the current one is not doing so well. I will also state that many business' are not doing well these days."

So, yea, I guess I was wrong as usual. I also guess that I am somehow responsible for not knowing that you gave up your "other" store because your grandmother is old. Sorry I didn't know that little fact. I hope the best for her and your children, truely. I am also sorry that after thirteen years in business, you are still only breaking even. Or do I have that wrong as usual? I posted here that if the original poster wanted to do it for fun, then have fun. Nothing wrong with that. But I posted that if it is to feed and take care of his family, then your model and advice apparently just doesn't work yet. Does it?

"Glad you could edumacate me on spellings, I just put something cute there instead of USA or Somebody's basement. Oh by the way, I was born at Ft. Knox and the inlaws are from Hazard area so they may've done sum killin of you and yourn."

Well, I really didn't think that you misspelled Kentucky. I also was making a funny. It is apparently not funny unless it is you doing the funny. If it is me, then I am "wrong as usual". Here's another funny: Maybe the problem is, that you were edumacated at the school of Hard Knox, and they didn't teach business 101. (hope you are laughing).

By the way, we didn't do any killin of anybody in Kentucky, to my knowledge. And if yourn did some killin, they missed me! We has kilt sum in Ohia though.

Moonlite: I don't understand that you are trying to make me out as a bad guy for giving advice to someone who asked for it. I don't understand how you making the statement that to listen to customers (collectors) is not the thing to do (as I suggested, along with listening to those in the business), and that the original poster should ONLY obtain advice from those in the business. Maybe you have a point about that, if you change it to: "only take advice from those that are SUCCESSFULLY doing business and making a tidy profit." But you show what your business model is made of by stating that listening to the collectors (customers) is not needed, not necessary, and a waste of time. IF I was running a business based on selling widgets to customers, I would surely listen to the customers AND those in the business also. Those in the business ain't buying your stuff.

But, what do I know. I'm just a buyer and not a seller.

Geesh. Everytime I post something, I end up in an argument. The common denominator is me, so it must be me that is the problem, I guess.

But then, "others" also posted that your advice was.....shall we say, not wholly sufficient?

Now ya'll go and have a nice day.

Geesh. Everytime I post something, I end up in an argument. The common denominator is me, so it must be me that is the problem, I guess.

-shrug- I just say it msut be a personal problem! :D

My dad's favorite quote evar--"Ya can't fix stupid." And he says it about....basically everything :P

Dad, I drive this route because people do dangerous and scary stuff if I were to go the other way.

"Well, ya can't fix stupid!"

Now, if you want to throw all analysis out to the wind and go with the approach "I offer what's bad for you - and you'll like it," here's one approach.

http://www.cbsnews.com:80/video/watch/?id=4632991n?source=search_video

I just can't figure out why all the male customers are so loyal to a bad place. But wow if you had a comic store loaded with employees dressed like famous comic characters - what a hit! Power Girl, Wonder Woman, Jean Grey.

That would be a party every day, and bank accounts would be setup directly to the store. Go figure!

I just can't figure out why all the male customers are so loyal to a bad place. But wow if you had a comic store loaded with employees dressed like famous comic characters - what a hit! Power Girl, Wonder Woman, Jean Grey.

.........I would work there in a HEARTBEAT! I'd love to get paid to dress up everyday! :D