• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Q: Silver Surfer No. 4....

25 posts in this topic

one word-Thor!!!! thumbsup2.gif

I agree with Shadroch but need more than one word grin.gif

Thor vs. Surfer - (two of my all-time favorite characters) nuff said!

A cover that has it all. Thor winding up and Surfer speeding down for a collision you know is going to do some MAJOR damage! The background cover colors blend in beautifully with the sharp colors of the Rainbow Bridge. For many years I considered this my Holy Grail book to have in high grade. I found one, pre-CGC, and was disappointed when it came back a restored 9.2 because of some minor color touch boo.gif

The god of thunder vs. the power cosmic. Which would prove stronger?

The OS notation about this issue supposedly being scarce, after all the more important points of interest I've noted for me, was just an added bonus. But as the census has shown you can find decent quantities of HG copies of this, and many other books, from the late 60s without too much trouble.

I went to one show about 5 years ago with specifically in mind, picking up SS 1, 4, 7, and 15 in VF or better to finish my SS run. I couldn't find one I liked on the #1, and like the 7 and 15, which I did buy, there were about a half dozen in VF and better to choose from. The #4 was the easiest to find as I had my choice of over a dozen copies at that show in VF or better. The disrtribution may have been un-even but you'd have a hard time convincing me that there's less #4s printed than each of #'s 1-3.

Also, I see many more #4s in Ebay auctions than #1s by comparison.

The cover is awesome,so's the story! This may be a little off topic,but back when I was about 12 tears old I was buying those Surfer issues off the newstands.Well I remember missing that issue & a friend of mine had gotten it.We were blown away when we saw it & read it. I still wanted that book, so believe this or not ,and this is true, I sent a letter off to Marvel Comics with a quarter in the envelope asking if they had a copy for sale? Well somebody must have felt sorry for this kid , because about several weeks later a fresh copy came in a large manilla envelope to my house. shocked.gif"Boy, was I one happy camper" grin.gif

Years ago (Maybe around 20++), there were MANY HIGH-Grade Warehouse Copies of this Issue Found. I Think this is the MAIN Reason you see so MANY Nice copies of this issue. I DO Think it did have LOW Distribution when it was First published, But the Warehouse Copies Kinda' destroyed that Scarcity.