• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FORUM DINNER FOR PHOENIX COMIC-CON

85 posts in this topic

I set-up there twice in the past, but not this year. I will be bringing books for area collectors. If you see anything on my web-site Terryscomics.com or NationwideKomics.com, I will make an effort to bring it.I am not setting up and only will be there Friday and part of Saturday. This decision was mainly due to the large Anime crowd and weak sales. I will be at either Harley Yee's booth or Comic Celler. the other out of area dealers are Steve Wyatt, ( Super-Con ), Scott Hudlow, Ron Murry, Go Daddy O's Comic Book Hideout and Nan. Terry O.

Do we have a quick head count for Friday?

Hope to see some of you for dinner or on the floor.

You and me make two so far and PhiGam said he would be around for Friday night as well. I am not 100% sure what time I will be there on Friday yet.

Did you have a restaurant in mind or do we need to work on that?

I set-up there twice in the past, but not this year. I will be bringing books for area collectors. If you see anything on my web-site Terryscomics.com or NationwideKomics.com, I will make an effort to bring it.I am not setting up and only will be there Friday and part of Saturday. This decision was mainly due to the large Anime crowd and weak sales. I will be at either Harley Yee's booth or Comic Celler. the other out of area dealers are Steve Wyatt, ( Super-Con ), Scott Hudlow, Ron Murry, Go Daddy O's Comic Book Hideout and Nan. Terry O.

That's too bad. I was looking forward to checking out your inventory in person again. I bought the World's Finest #156 from you last year. I do agree that the Anime crowd is a pain, but hopefully the comic collecting crowds will recognize the quality of dealers and keep growing despite the economy. A move to downtown Phoenix in a couple of years should help, too.

Also, I noticed your PDF catalogs are dated Feb. 2008. Do you plan to update them before the show?

Just scout anywhere local but somewhere we can get a beer or something. I intend to try and persuade cujobyte to join us for dinner, so it's looking like 4 people.

John -- I'm only in for Friday -- sorry.

We can drink beer at Oregano's if you like Italian.

Perfect.

I am woking on a new catalog but it will not be ready until February. If you don't see what you want in the old catalog ask. The search pages were updated last June so they have newer inventory listed. Terry O.

PS: Four Peaks brewpub has good beer and food although it gets rather crowded on Friday's and Saturdays.

Hey Terry. I hope I run into you there. I will be going on Saturday and Sunday, but not sure it's worth my time for Friday too. I have to agree with you about last year's show. I have never seen such a large percentage of a comic book convention tilted toward anime/manga/cosplay fans.

On the positive side, they have a better selection of guests than they have ever had for this show. Hopefully, that will translate for better sales for the dealers who are setting up. Unfortunately, Phoenix is one of those towns that has been hardest hit by the real estate bust, so it remains to be seen how much discretionary money people bring with them.

As another poster stated, it would be nice to see this con move to a larger venue eventually. However, the current location has the advantage of free parking. People in this town hate paying for parking, and some people actually sighted that as a reason the last major attempt at a big time show in the 90s ended up flopping at the Phoenix Civic Plaza downtown.

Hey Terry. I hope I run into you there. I will be going on Saturday and Sunday, but not sure it's worth my time for Friday too. I have to agree with you about last year's show. I have never seen such a large percentage of a comic book convention tilted toward anime/manga/cosplay fans.

On the positive side, they have a better selection of guests than they have ever had for this show. Hopefully, that will translate for better sales for the dealers who are setting up. Unfortunately, Phoenix is one of those towns that has been hardest hit by the real estate bust, so it remains to be seen how much discretionary money people bring with them.

As another poster stated, it would be nice to see this con move to a larger venue eventually. However, the current location has the advantage of free parking. People in this town hate paying for parking, and some people actually sighted that as a reason the last major attempt at a big time show in the 90s ended up flopping at the Phoenix Civic Plaza downtown.

:censored: paying for parking :sumo:

Terry - could you bring the Brave and the Bold #60 you list as a 8.0 and Shazam #28 (the 9.2)? I would like to see those in hand, thanks!

Paying for parking is kind of extraneous unless the price of tickets are lowered (don't see that happening as I've seen lots of other cons charge quite a bit more - MegaCon is charging nearly double for instance.) But this isn't New York or San Francisco - parking space isn't at a premium here.

As for Four Peaks Brewery and Oregano's being busy on the weekends, that's par for the course everywhere during a weekend. People love going out to eat/shop on the weekends. I'll stop by Oregano's tomorrow and see if they will reserve for roughly 4-6 people Friday night as it's looking like it'll top out at that (unless I'm corrected). When should I tell Oregano's to expect us? 7? 8? I'll check back to see if you guys give me a time tomorrow before I head out to Mesa.

I don't know about Saturday night - that's looking like a bigger crowd and we don't have an accurate enough headcount to make reservations anywhere, methinks. We'll probably have to figure on waiting somewhere.

I am planning on being there at noon Friday and possibly staying the whole time until dinner that night. (Ok, that might be a little tiring even if I attend any panels.) Saturday, I have no idea, although I'm thinking between 10am-noon for sure.