• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FORUM DINNER FOR PHOENIX COMIC-CON

85 posts in this topic

I also picked up a nice Sgt. Fury #13 from Tom Kalb. I saw someone on the boards trash him, and I couldn't disagree more. Tom is a great dealer, and I have always had good experiences buying books from him.

It was me. I've only encountered him a few times, and have had bad experiences. One time, I wanted to trade him my hard-earned money for some comics at his B&M store, and he told me he doesn't accept credit or debit. So I had to drive to an ATM to get cash for him. Upon returning, I gave him the cash, and he then told me he didn't have change, and I would have to go get change, or buy more comics to equal the $20 increment I had. He just doesn't seem nice. I get the impression he's a bitter comic dealer who doesn't make much money as his chosen profession and hates it. I could be wrong.

lol, sorry, you are wrong. I have known and dealt with Tom for about 15 years now. He was around long before then, probably long before any of the other dealers currently in Phoenix (I'm not sure when Allen and Marsha of All About Books and Comics got their start exactly). You can't make it that long without being successful. Certainly during the time I have known him, he has acquired and sold some amazing comics and other collectibles.

I also picked up a nice Sgt. Fury #13 from Tom Kalb. I saw someone on the boards trash him, and I couldn't disagree more. Tom is a great dealer, and I have always had good experiences buying books from him.

It was me. I've only encountered him a few times, and have had bad experiences. One time, I wanted to trade him my hard-earned money for some comics at his B&M store, and he told me he doesn't accept credit or debit. So I had to drive to an ATM to get cash for him. Upon returning, I gave him the cash, and he then told me he didn't have change, and I would have to go get change, or buy more comics to equal the $20 increment I had. He just doesn't seem nice. I get the impression he's a bitter comic dealer who doesn't make much money as his chosen profession and hates it. I could be wrong.

lol, sorry, you are wrong. I have known and dealt with Tom for about 15 years now. He was around long before then, probably long before any of the other dealers currently in Phoenix (I'm not sure when Allen and Marsha of All About Books and Comics got their start exactly). You can't make it that long without being successful. Certainly during the time I have known him, he has acquired and sold some amazing comics and other collectibles.

I agree. I've heard he's pretty good, although he looks gruff in appearance... He apparently knows Mike Malve well, too. Malve is the owner of the Atomic Comics chain for those who don't know. I saw them talking to each other when Brian (Foolkiller) and I were looking at his booth. He didn't bring much to show at the con, though. I'm wondering if like Atomics, he was hedging his bets because of the anime crowd or what. I'll be checking out his website now that I've finally got ahold of a means to look through his inventory.

I'm still waiting on Spiderman on Tilt's photos he has a nice group shot of the dinner that shows everyone.

Ahhhh, sorry my labtob is busted and I just order a brand new Dell Desk top this time so I prob won;t have it set-up till after I get back from NYC.

I promise to post the pictures soon.

John