• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Over 300 unchecked Ewert books in the Registry!

130 posts in this topic

This information was posted in the NOD thread several times over the last few days, but since many people probably don't read that thread, I am reposting it here. This is information that needs to be dissiminated. Several years after the scandal broke, there are still many books originally submitted by Ewert that have not been rechecked for trimming and are still circulating. Over 300 are sitting in registry sets right now, probably without any knowledge by their owners that they were Ewert books. For more info:

EWERT MARKET ALERT THREAD

It's definitely worth checking into this. I was very careful to get any Ewert books checked out at the time the scandal broke. But since then, I've bought a book from another collector and I had no idea that the book had been submitted by Ewert in the suspect time period. That book will go back to CGC for a re-check.

See this link for a list of suspect books:

The List

GT, this was the original list, a lot of these books have been through the process of rechecking by CGC.

Is there an updated list, rather than tarring every book on the list (shrug)

There was several boardies involved in keeping track of the resubs.

I believe if the book was re-checked by CGC, it was given a new cert number. So the list is still useful.

I'm afraid that wasn't the case. In most instances, the books were not removed from their existing cases by CGC, and simply the cost of mailing back was covered by CGC. And no new serial numbers.

It would stand to reason that CGC can verify what books have been sent back, as a lot of collectors would have a vested interest in this, and would not like to have to do the process again because CGC have no records on this matter.

Like paperheart mentions above, that wasn't my experience with the 5 or 6 books that I sent in to be re-checked. If a book checked out okay, it was given a new case and cert number. If it was found to be trimmed, CGC kept the book and I was reimbursed for the cost by Tom Brulato.

Who is selling these books ?

These books? Or Ewert books generally?

Without suggesting that the site owners have any awareness of their 'origins', Ewert books have recently/are currently being sold through CLink, Pedigree, Heritage and Matt Nelson's site...amongst others. :eek:

There even collectors on these boards who have knowingly sold Ewert books after the story came to light. I've bought two of them. The sellers couldn't be bothered to send the books to CGC for a re-check. But dumping them onto another collector was no problem.

Im really curious who this was hm

This information was posted in the NOD thread several times over the last few days, but since many people probably don't read that thread, I am reposting it here. This is information that needs to be dissiminated. Several years after the scandal broke, there are still many books originally submitted by Ewert that have not been rechecked for trimming and are still circulating. Over 300 are sitting in registry sets right now, probably without any knowledge by their owners that they were Ewert books. For more info:

It's definitely worth checking into this. I was very careful to get any Ewert books checked out at the time the scandal broke. But since then, I've bought a book from another collector and I had no idea that the book had been submitted by Ewert in the suspect time period. That book will go back to CGC for a re-check.

The List

GT, this was the original list, a lot of these books have been through the process of rechecking by CGC.

I believe if the book was re-checked by CGC, it was given a new cert number. So the list is still useful.

I'm afraid that wasn't the case. In most instances, the books were not removed from their existing cases by CGC, and simply the cost of mailing back was covered by CGC. And no new serial numbers.

It would stand to reason that CGC can verify what books have been sent back, as a lot of collectors would have a vested interest in this, and would not like to have to do the process again because CGC have no records on this matter.

Like paperheart mentions above, that wasn't my experience with the 5 or 6 books that I sent in to be re-checked. If a book checked out okay, it was given a new case and cert number. If it was found to be trimmed, CGC kept the book and I was reimbursed for the cost by Tom Brulato.

That is correct. The one Ewert book I had I sent back to CGC and after checking for trimming they gave it a brand new serial #.

It looks like I have one book on the list. I checked with CGC and they still do the free check up.

Sorry to hear you have a book on the list, but it's good to know that CGC is still doing the free check.

Maybe it would be a good idea for the thread with the free trimming-check offer to be re-stickied at the top of the forum like it once was. Just a thought. (thumbs u

The List

So how do they effect a thorough resto check? :o

My guess is that they are just checking these books for possible trimming first, and as long as they are close/bang on to the right size AND/OR they do not show any other suspicious edge wear they do not bother opening them up as it would cost time and $$$ to do so (especially if a lot of the books are fine).

I do believe this one was a tomato boxer, and was probably pressed - don't know what else ;)

28-Jul-05 … 6548048326 … Incredible Hulk … 162 … 9.4 … … OWW … $163.61 … 0708991007

Well, I have four books on the list. I will be sending them in for a check although only three fall within the "at risk" date range.

Any of the books that CGC reviewed from trimming under the Ewert resub program were given new serial numbers.

I think the confusion arose from the fact that only books graded within a certain date range were considered at risk for trimming by CGC and eligible for the free resub program. Many collectors sent books into CGC that they bought from Ewert outside the eligible date range and those were returned unopened by CGC. I do not recall ever reading how CGC determined the date range.

Well, I have four books on the list. I will be sending them in for a check although only three fall within the "at risk" date range.

Any of the books that CGC reviewed from trimming under the Ewert resub program were given new serial numbers.

I think the confusion arose from the fact that only books graded within a certain date range were considered at risk for trimming by CGC and eligible for the free resub program. Many collectors sent books into CGC that they bought from Ewert outside the eligible date range and those were returned unopened by CGC. I do not recall ever reading how CGC determined the date range.

What is the date range ? I have a book on the list. I am so confused !?!

September 2004 through September 2005.

If you have a book on the list, it should be sent to CGC to be checked out. Harshen is probably the guy to talk to. If not, I'm sure they'll direct you to the right person if you call.

September 2004 through September 2005.

If you have a book on the list, it should be sent to CGC to be checked out. Harshen is probably the guy to talk to. If not, I'm sure they'll direct you to the right person if you call.

Thanks. My book is in the early part of the range, oh-oh.....

You are correct, I called twice but they said I have to talk to Harshen.

He left early today, probably got flooded with calls about Ewert books!! (lol).

It looks like I have one book on the list. I checked with CGC and they still do the free check up.

Who did you talk to at CGC ?

Don't know but he gave the answer very quickly so I assumed he was up to speed.

Here is a book that is scheduled to go live on January 8th.

Amazing Spider-Man #47 CGC 9.6 White pages cert. # 0700042016 graded on 2/9/2005

0700042016asm47.jpg

I called Josh at ComicLink to let him know about the three suspect ASMs in the upcoming auction. The books are being overnighted to CGC for review.

I called Josh at ComicLink to let him know about the three suspect ASMs in the upcoming auction. The books are being overnighted to CGC for review.

GT, it looks like you are becoming a post counting fiend!!! - that's like 12 posts in two days :whatthe::baiting:

The List

Brasseye:

You know for a fact that the trimming re-check was made while the book was still in the holder and not removed? Seriously?

The List

Brasseye:

You know for a fact that the trimming re-check was made while the book was still in the holder and not removed? Seriously?

Yes, this is correct.

Nick (flaming telepath) I sent a book at the time through John (John Skoulides, a London LCS owner) and was very surprised to have it come back essentially 'as is'.

I personally wanted and expected a new serial number, and assumed that what the books were being sent back for with the resto check. But obviously not.

Was there some additional criteria applied to certain books (shrug) resulting in a full cracked inspection, I'm unsure.

CGC would really need to chime in at this point...