• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Over 300 unchecked Ewert books in the Registry!

130 posts in this topic

i'm confused- if the NOD list was accurate, why were 6 of these 7 books on the list if they weren't submitted by JE?

The master list was compiled by CGC board members here three years ago after the scandal broke. The books on the list were submitted to CGC with books sold by Ewert on eBay. Not all of the slabs he sold were submitted by him; some were consignments. Since CGC has never released an official list of Ewert submitted cert. #s, all we have to gone on are his sales. CGC won't release the info due to confidentiality reasons. This is why it so important that CGC take the lead in informing owners of Ewert submitted books now that they know who many of them are (because of the registry) and have contact info for them.

Again, we really need CGC to chime in and lend some real information to the questions raised here.

:bump:

I'm going to start calling you Flaming Quixote. :baiting:

And yes, I think your chances of success are just high as Don's.

So they're willingness to resolve the most serious breach to their reputation in the history of the company has it's limit's (shrug)

And by the look of things, they took some limiting action. Only 'these books from this time period' were affected guys, oh ya, we're not going to say what part of Ewarts fiasco it is :Ddoh!

Stacy, without having received ANY of that information in the years since the Ewert trimming scandal broke out, have you personally stopped buying slabbed books, and has CGC's business declined due to a loss in confidence by its customers? No? I didn't think so.

So the cynic in me says that CGC did what they absolutely needed to do in order to fix a problem to avoid liability, but no more. And since their business hasn't suffered as a result of their unwillingness to provide any more information or why they picked the dates that they did, I think they will be as responsive on this point as a Spanish windmill.

Stacy, without having received ANY of that information in the years since the Ewert trimming scandal broke out, have you personally stopped buying slabbed books, and has CGC's business declined due to a loss in confidence by its customers? No? I didn't think so.

So the cynic in me says that CGC did what they absolutely needed to do in order to fix a problem to avoid liability, but no more. And since their business hasn't suffered as a result of their unwillingness to provide any more information or why they picked the dates that they did, I think they will be as responsive on this point as a Spanish windmill.

Sadly Tim, I think you have the right of it. :sorry:

$$ talk, and we (the registry fan boys) probably didn't spend more than a day before capitulating into our next great slab purchase. doh!

OK, here's another suspect book currently at auction.

Remember, nobody is saying it is trimmed and nobody is saying the consignor or seller are aware it's a possible Ewert book.

It is suggested that it gets checked, though. (thumbs u

Amazing Spider-Man #151 CGC 9.6 cert. # 0098486016 graded on 9/20/2004. This falls within CGC's suspect window.

0098486016asm151.jpg

Hey Nick, it would help if you would identify WHERE these books are coming up for sale. It would help to know what are the sites of choice for laundering Ewert books.

It would, Tim.

But then we'd have an outcry about individuals being 'innocent until proven guilty' or 'singled out'. I don't want this to be a 'witchhunt', but I do want boarders to be aware. (thumbs u

I, for one, would LOVE to see a comprehensive list of these books to check against when looking to purchase a book. I'd like to see these books cleared by CGC one way or another so we can put this to rest.

There is. Ghost Town posted it in one of the first posts in this thread.

See this link for a list of suspect books:

The List

Ok, the format for the lists I've seen on here so far are horrible. If it anyone wants the original excel spreadsheet with the books in question from the time frame CGC alludes to PM me your email address.

Ok, the format for the lists I've seen on here so far are horrible. If it anyone wants the original excel spreadsheet with the books in question from the time frame CGC alludes to PM me your email address.

thanks for the list, sorry to see some of mine on there.... :sorry:

The ASM 151 and FF 79 posted recently are NOT on the list provided in the link above, originally provided by BronzeBruce13? Where is the original source material suggesting these books might be problems? Is there another list aside from that provided by BronzeBruce?

The ASM 151 and FF 79 posted recently are NOT on the list provided in the link above, originally provided by BronzeBruce13? Where is the original source material suggesting these books might be problems? Is there another list aside from that provided by BronzeBruce?

If you look at the sequential list of serial numbers, you'll see that those books are from the same invoices as other books on the list. And that means those books were submitted by the same person.

But that doesn't necessarily mean those books were submitted by Ewert. The list shows books that were sold by Ewert. But they could have originally been submitted by someone else. I think the only way to confirm that a book was submitted by Jason is to call CGC with the serial number and ask them.

just my story. I have 5 on the suspected list. I called Harshen at CGC and he first wants the serial numbers of my suspected books based on the list I got from here. Then he will e-mail me what are suspects from CGC's side of the story.

As a side note, I e-mailed the dealer who sold me my Superman 233 CGC 9.6 about the issue and he claims he owned the book raw from his personal collection and had it submitted. Do we have a way of clearing or noting on the list anything?

just my story. I have 5 on the suspected list. I called Harshen at CGC and he first wants the serial numbers of my suspected books based on the list I got from here. Then he will e-mail me what are suspects from CGC's side of the story.

As a side note, I e-mailed the dealer who sold me my Superman 233 CGC 9.6 about the issue and he claims he owned the book raw from his personal collection and had it submitted. Do we have a way of clearing or noting on the list anything?

Stop! the 233 was not on the list. I only panicked when I saw the last three digits were the same. I was in a bad mood the more books I found on the list and figured if the last three digits matched on a 9.6 book of that number, it must be it. I was wrong.

resume thread.

Thanks Ghost-

I guess my only comment would be this: If you are going to take the 5-15 minutes required to copy a scan, paste it here and then cite chapter and verse on the possibility that it is a Ewertt book, when it may well not be. If somebody is that concerned, why not take 5 minutes to call CGC with the serial numbers and ask them if it was submitted by Ewertt BEFORE you drag it through the mud on the boards. I owned six of the ASM books noted here earlier. Five of the six were sent to CGC and found to have nothing to do with Ewertt in any way shape or form. The last was submitted by Ewertt on behalf of somebody and was not trimmed.

It's only anecdotal evidence, but the methodology that turned up these books seems to be defective, to say the least.

If the above is done, ONLY books that are extremely likely to be trim candidates will end up in front of the comic book cimmunity. Most of us that wer concerned about this submitted suspicious books years ago.

Five of the six were sent to CGC and found to have nothing to do with Ewertt in any way shape or form. The last was submitted by Ewertt on behalf of somebody and was not trimmed.

It's only anecdotal evidence, but the methodology that turned up these books seems to be defective, to say the least.

If the above is done, ONLY books that are extremely likely to be trim candidates will end up in front of the comic book cimmunity. Most of us that wer concerned about this submitted suspicious books years ago.

1) So being submitted by a known scammer = nothing to do with the scammer? 2) How does one determine whether a book is "extremely likely" to be a trim candidate if not referring to the lists of submitted books of the trimmer?

CGC could just contact the people who submitted the suspect books and check them free of charge or they could release the Ewert submission lists or they could at least state why the date range was chosen. If you have a better way of detecting possible problem books, seriously, I'm in favor of it.

Five of the six were sent to CGC and found to have nothing to do with Ewertt in any way shape or form. The last was submitted by Ewertt on behalf of somebody and was not trimmed.

1) So being submitted by a known scammer = nothing to do with the scammer? 2) How does one determine whether a book is "extremely likely" to be a trim candidate if not referring to the lists of submitted books of the trimmer?

CGC could just contact the people who submitted the suspect books and check them free of charge or they could release the Ewert submission lists or they could at least state why the date range was chosen. If you have a better way of detecting possible problem books, seriously, I'm in favor of it.

:applause: nicely said