• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RRP Question From A Newbie

26 posts in this topic

I hope you can help me.

I've just come across the term RRP and have found some basic information about them.

However, I'm having problems determining some basic info.

1. Are these just DC comics, or are all publishers involved?

2. Are these RRP issues different than the standard issue - like completely different issue number and cover?

3. How do I know if I have an RRP? Is it marked RRP someplace?

Any advice or direction you could give would be greatly appreciate.

Thank you very much in advance.

Apparently it's a very collectible kind of comic.

RRP stands for Retail Roundtable Promotion.

I just can't get any other info on them, such as above.

quote :

I hope you can help me.

I've just come across the term RRP and have found some basic information about them.

However, I'm having problems determining some basic info.

1. Are these just DC comics, or are all publishers involved?

2. Are these RRP issues different than the standard issue - like completely different issue number and cover?

3. How do I know if I have an RRP? Is it marked RRP someplace?

Any advice or direction you could give would be greatly appreciate.

Thank you very much in advance.

/quote :

Apparently it's a very collectible kind of comic.

I just can't get any other info on them, such as above.

If they are retailer promotions of some sort, then they're probably variant covers, sketch covers, etc., etc. Not my thing at all, but I'm sure somebody around here will know. Good luck!

The term RRP is only for a DC Comics based group. Any other books with the RRP notation are not RRP's and are only variant comics.

The RRP is a group of retailers assembled by DC Comics which addresses, industry issues and DC Comics related topics. The group is invitation only. RRP Editions are named for the promotional comics given out at the meetings of the DC RRP. There are not RRP editions for every meeting.

Here are a few examples of RRP edition:

All Star #1 (1999)

Batman #608

Fables #6

Global Frequency #1

Several DC Comic books which are not RRP's but are promoted by some sellers as such include Identity Crisis #1, Superman #204, and

Superman/Batman #1.

Hope this helps.

TomG -

Thank you so much.

This is very helpful.

I've seen a couple of Dark Tower comics that were advertised as RRP and those were simply the sketch variants. I know those are NOT RRP comics.

Can you tell me - Do you know how the comics themselves are marked as an RRP comic? Does it say somewhere on the comic RRP?

Again, I sincerely thank you.

From what I know the RRP books are retailer incentives (not variants) that are handed out at trade shows. Smaller print runs, and I believe you have to be at the event to get them. So they are distributed through Diamond like regular variant covers.

You can add The Flash 231 RRP that was handed out at the Baltimore Summit a few years back. I would ask JonJespersen as he seems to have a great amount of knowledge on these types of books.

It actually stands for Retailer Representative Program.

As Tom G said above, it is a retail focus group put together by DC.

They picked retailers from around the world covering a broad spectrum of store types and retail models. Once a year, on DC's dime, this small group of retailers (75 - 100) get together and have their collective brains picked by DC. It is one of the reasons DC is so much more understanding of retailers' plights than Marvel is.

One of the perks of being an RRP member are the different variant covers.

Interestingly, many, if not most, of the retailers in the program are not back issue dealers and care very little about the after market value. Many, myself included, use them as customer appreciation incentives or in-store promotions. That is one of the reasons why they are doubly hard to come by.

I need the Bats 608 in a CGC 9.8 RRP to complete my DC retialer incentive set of all 9.8's. I'm currently stuck with a SS CGC 9.6.. anyone care to trade? :whistle:

You'd better post a new thread once you get the Bats 608 RRP in 9.8 with all the scans. That would look nice.

As far as most buyers are concerned RRP just means "retailer variant"

a low print run cover variant version of an existing book. As far as spotting one, generally price guides like Overstreet will give a decent enough description of what the RRP book looks like. You can even jump on Ebay or other selling sites and look up the book and you will figure out which book is an RRP. Also because they were given out during the RRP meetings, as far as I know the RRP will not have a cover price printed.

I just picked up JLA # 1 RRP. Here is a photo from an existing ebay auction

jla rrp

The original version are actually 2 different covers. The first containing only the left half of the full photo and the second containing only the right half

I love the RRP version... very sweet.