• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incredible Hulk 181 9.8 signed.

63 posts in this topic

It's a beautiful book and congrats to the owner, but this begs the question; is CGC's grading getting more lenient, as some have speculated?

Well you have all been waiting for it. So without any further waiting here it is....

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

Uuhhhh, are you taking any submittals on CGC 9.4's any time soon?

That is just incredible to behold!

Ok truth be known. We do NOT have a special secret for having books bump up in grade. As a matter of fact, according to Sharon, we took in over 2500 books last year and only about 30 books got bumped up. So that is a little over 1%. So please don't get the idea that we are able to get everything bumped up.

As for books getting bumped up, here are my thoughts. Being that the book is sitting inside the encapsulation, could that have a flattening effect on the book and therefore take a book that was previously a 9.6 with maybe a little curl and over the time it is encapsulated cause that curl to flatten out. I don't know. AND add the fact that you are still dealing with the human element when it comes to grading. The chances are the graders were not the same graders the 2nd time around. It is anyones guess either way. But in the end the owner still takes a chance that the book could have dropped a grade.

I am just happy that we were able to provide to our client a service he could be happy with. And the same can be said about any other witness out. Thanks guys.

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

I am just happy that we were able to provide to our client a service he could be happy with. And the same can be said about any other witness out. Thanks guys.

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

Awesome job guys! :applause:

The human element for sure. That other thing, I don't think so.

As to the value. I bet it will reach 33,000 in the 12 months. 50 thousand in the next three years.

I wouldn't sell just yet.

What may possibly hurt the value is the historical information that it was a 9.6 previously. As you put it, it was IYO, a strong 9.6. Now, it should be assumed to be a weak 9.8., by diffinition. A potential buyer might want a strong 9.8 and just get it signed by Lee, maybe even hoping to get a 9.9 from the "human element".

Ok truth be known. We do NOT have a special secret for having books bump up in grade. As a matter of fact, according to Sharon, we took in over 2500 books last year and only about 30 books got bumped up. So that is a little over 1%. So please don't get the idea that we are able to get everything bumped up.

As for books getting bumped up, here are my thoughts. Being that the book is sitting inside the encapsulation, could that have a flattening effect on the book and therefore take a book that was previously a 9.6 with maybe a little curl and over the time it is encapsulated cause that curl to flatten out. I don't know. AND add the fact that you are still dealing with the human element when it comes to grading. The chances are the graders were not the same graders the 2nd time around. It is anyones guess either way. But in the end the owner still takes a chance that the book could have dropped a grade.

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

I wonder how many got bumped down a grade :)

I KID I KID... :banana:

I just suffered a 1/2 point drop on a signed Fantastic Four #50 that was previously 8.0 (old label), so I really don't think they are getting more lenient. As for someone having a 9.8 before getting signed, it's risky business to break out a perfect book for sig. You could get a bump down and there are other factors. Anyone remember the Captain America 101 9.8 where Stan started to sign his name, then stopped and crossed it out to sign somewhere else? That book dropped to 9.6, but in my view it was pretty much wrecked. A 9.8 like this 181 is just an amazing book to see, congrats to Chandler and the book's owner.

Wow...

I'm not sure what to think of this one other than "wow." This could really go either way in an auction. I could see it ending at $18K or $28K and wouldn't be surprised either way.

If it's my book, it goes on Clink with a $30K asking price.

I just suffered a 1/2 point drop on a signed Fantastic Four #50 that was previously 8.0 (old label), so I really don't think they are getting more lenient. As for someone having a 9.8 before getting signed, it's risky business to break out a perfect book for sig. You could get a bump down and there are other factors. Anyone remember the Captain America 101 9.8 where Stan started to sign his name, then stopped and crossed it out to sign somewhere else? That book dropped to 9.6, but in my view it was pretty much wrecked. A 9.8 like this 181 is just an amazing book to see, congrats to Chandler and the book's owner.

Or it could go the other way!

I had an ASM 500 with 3 sigs at 9.6.

I got two more sigs on it and when I got it back it was a 9.8.

It can go either way if they decide to regrade.