• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stan Lee and Wolverine

15 posts in this topic

I see a lot of copper and modern Wolverine books signed by Stan Lee and I don't know why he was asked to sign them, since he didn't create the character and didn't have anything to do with the issues that were signed. Am I missing something? The market seems to be relatively warm to this combination, but it has me confused. Why would someone want Stan's sig on book with little to no association to Stan other than it's marvel? Any ideas?

Stan can sign pretty much ANYTHING Marvel and even some DC and its relevant...just because he is Stan "the man".

I am working on a few wolverine origin #1's 9.8's already signed by turner........

I plan to put Stan on it along with Romita Wein and maybe even trimpe (I am welcome to other suggestions)

For me it is more like.......I see this wolverine book as being an AWESOME marvel book.....and Stan Lee is the man and such a huge part of marvel I will just throw him on there too.

There's no disputing Stan's place in the world of comics, but on a pure ranking process of sig's, would a book that has the actual books writer, and or artist's signature take preference?

Or does Stan's sig automatically trump all other's for every book out there (shrug)

Well from Hulk 181, Stan has said he didnt do anything to develop the character of wolverine BUT he did create hulk, so Stan sig on that book is more then appropriate.

But 181 is known for 1st Wolvie, not anything the Hulk did in that issue (shrug)

Well from Hulk 181, Stan has said he didnt do anything to develop the character of wolverine BUT he did create hulk, so Stan sig on that book is more then appropriate.

But 181 is known for 1st Wolvie, not anything the Hulk did in that issue (shrug)

*see my first post :gossip:

But it WAS the Hulk's book, so Stan signed it...

And in any event, Wolverine is gained popularity by being a key member in the X-men, a team Stan created.

Besides, he was in charge in the Marvel Offices for so long, he can sign pretty much anything (like others have said) just like Joe Q does now.

But it WAS the Hulk's book, so Stan signed it...

And in any event, Wolverine is gained popularity by being a key member in the X-men, a team Stan created.

Besides, he was in charge in the Marvel Offices for so long, he can sign pretty much anything (like others have said) just like Joe Q does now.

As I've noted in a posting under the other heading, the top of the first page of Incredible Hulk 181 says "Stan Lee Presents:" 'Nuff Said.

I'm not much of a Marvel guy but I wouldn't let him near any books that he didn't write himself. Personally, I would only buy SS books with sigs from the writers & artists of the book in question.

I only like Stan sigs on books that he wrote, but as far as being Marvel's CEO, Grand Poobah, or whatever his title was at any given time, the market has pretty much borne out that he can and will sign any Marvel comic. To each, his or her own. (thumbs u

Like Sean said, whatever makes you happy, but I think Stan's sig on a book like Hulk 181 is wasted effort and actually takes away from it for me.

I prefer a direct correllation between the signer and the book, such as writer, artist, cover artist, or whatever. I especially feel that way about Stan since he wrote so darned many books over the years that I wouldn't feel the need to get him on the latest issue of _____ (insert Marvel title here).

I even like some of the celebrity connection books, like the actors from BSG on the photo covers of the books or the horror stuff. They didn't actually have anything to do with the book itself, but they are that character in the eyes of most average people.

Well, I definitely think his sig on 181 is cool, the Hulk is his character, so it's real association. I've got an 8.0 and apparently saved myself $52,000 from the price of a 9.8. Your right about there being greater relevancy to the ones he actually wrote. That's what I'm working on now. It's a bit daunting to even figure out what that list is. I'm going to buried in this for a long time.